Laptop spec for 3D modelling/rendering/CAD/photoshop etc.

Associate
Hello everyone,

I am in need of a laptop for architecture work; needs to be a laptop for portability reasons.

The work primarily consists of producing large documents with lots of high resolution images in InDesign, editing high resolution images with lots of layers in Photoshop, complicated 2D CAD drafting with multiple references (mainly in AutoCAD and Microstation), 3D modelling large complicated buildings and masterplans (with Microstation, Rhino3D, 3DS Max, SketchUp and Grasshopper), and of course rendering.

I used to be into gaming a lot and obviously understand that a better GPU helps a lot with that, but do the above applications utilise the GPU, or is the CPU more important?

I haven't especially noticed anything wrong with my current laptop however it is 6 years old, so I am assuming I must be able to get something better, but perhaps not. My current laptop is a Samsung R780 with the following specs:

- 17 inch 1600x900 screen
- Intel Core i3 M330 @ 2.13GHz
- 4GB RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

What specs should I get that would be worthwhile getting to improve my productivity over the above spec. I don't have a specific budget, but less the better as I would rather spend the money saved on a holiday/3D printing. Ideally no more than £500, but could stretch to £800 tops if it was really worth it. I do have access to a render farm some of the time, but not all of the time, so ability to render super quick isn't the be all and end all. A large screen/high resolution is a must (i.e. I wouldn't want less than 1600x900).

Thanks in advance :)

Associate
the dell xps 15 7559 seems to be the most popuar and capable laptop in that price bracket (under 800£). good cpu, good gpu, 8gb ram.

Back
Top Bottom