I hate laptops, but i need one, maybe.

Associate
Hey guys,

I'm going to start a new job soon which requires me to work away 5 days a week. i'm a casual gamer (i7 4770k/gtx 1070) main PC.

I have a huge dislike for laptops, i feel they are noisy under load and battery life is pretty poor (at least in my experience)

I need a laptop which has a big screen and horsepower (is a laptop i5 the same as a desktop?) that's quiet and performs well @ 1080p cs:go/overwatch type games, and an SSD is a must!

any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Associate
What's your budget? Recent gaming notebooks have the same GPU's as desktops so power isn't an issue.

Most i5 in laptops are married to mid/low range GPU's so better going for an i7 with a better GPU.

Soldato
A quiet high power laptop?

Get some closed headphones, there's zero room for a low rpm, big fan cooler in a laptop.

Depending on how much baggage you can get away with you could do a mini itx build with pc case and screen of suitable size to fit in a travel case.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My budget is flexible i'd look to spend ~£1000 -/+

I think an i7 would be wasted as i don't edit videos or use much SM/HT. How does an i5 laptop 3ghz compare to an i5 dekstop 3.0ghz cpu? - do they perform the same or is there a big performance hit?

i've gotta get a laptop really just for practicality. i'd love a small itx build, but it wouldnt be great for taking into meetings.

Associate
I have a huge dislike for laptops, i feel they are noisy under load and battery life is pretty poor (at least in my experience)

I don't think anything is going to suit your needs if you want it for gaming but don't want noise/short battery life etc.

I just recently got an MSI with an i7/16GB Ram/1060/17" 120Hz screen in it for around £1700 which just blows through any game i've thrown at it. It does generate some heat and noise when going full out but with a decent headset I don't really notice it.

Associate
I have this exact issue. Even with double the budget I cannot yet find anything that offers a good compromise between size, weight, performance, noise and looks.

A clean, grownup looking, 1060/1070 GPU, i7, 15" laptop that doesn't weigh 4KG and doesn't have a crazy looking case or require a shoe box size power brick that also has 4+ hour battery life does not yet exist.

Maybe when Dell revamp the XPS15 with a 1060 GPU (Hopefully, 1070!) there will be something that fits the middle of the road.

Soldato
To be honest geordiejc i don't know what your last laptop was, but if you spend the money you will get a great experience. The new MSI laptops rival desktop performance, cooling will always be difficult in such a small form factor.

Just be amazed at the fact you can take an i7 6700hq, gtx 1060 laptop, 16gb DDR4 that weighs less than 2kg anywhere and game as good as the desktop equivalent specs..

Back
Top Bottom