• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has the gulf in technological progress between Nvidia and AMD ever been this wide?

Soldato
You have to remember there will be two vega chips. I think it is quite feasible that one is at 1070 perf or more and one might be close to gp102 levels.

I find it more likely that a 490 will be a replacement for its namesake the 390 but with a performance boost, round about where the Fury's are but at a better price point.

Even if they were on a level pegging head to head performance with the 1070 nine out of ten people would still buy Nvidia anyway so what would be the point? There is however a performance gap between the 480 and 1070 that looks pretty tempting, at the right price, which will probably what they'll be targetting. Not that anyone will take any notice so...

Be prepared for the hype train to take off full steam ahead only to hit the buffers when the reality sinks in, again.

Soldato
If we're comparing the 480 with the 390, it's done a lot better than "mildly improves" the power usage - it's slashed it by a third for close to the same gaming performance: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,review-33587-9.html

The problem is that even with these perf/watt increases, they still only barely matched a two year old 970, it's just not good enough IMO. The 1070 consumes less power than the 480, while proving much greater performance.

Soldato
The reason I brought it up is this thread is about the tech gulf between NVidia and AMD. The thing I find amusing is Maxwell is better than Pascal clock for clock.

I suspect that this thread was started as an AMD bashing exercise but have NVidia really made that much progress anyway ?

99% of gamers use air cooled GPU's. the 1070 and 1080 series enable extremely high clock speeds, providing large performance increases over their 900 series counterparts, hence why they are selling so very well.

Who cares if these chips don't perform well under LN2? Everyone would prefer they clock better under air, which they do.

Soldato
I personally think AMD has given up on competing with nVidia on high end cards and are aiming for the much more lucrative lower spec market. That much was clear on the 480 launch and all the VR hype..
If that is true i feel sorry for gamers that bought a 1440p or higher Resolution FREESYNC monitor instead of a G-Sync one..

Last edited:
Man of Honour
99% of gamers use air cooled GPU's. the 1070 and 1080 series enable extremely high clock speeds, providing large performance increases over their 900 series counterparts, hence why they are selling so very well.

Who cares if these chips don't perform well under LN2? Everyone would prefer they clock better under air, which they do.

You have totally missed the point.

See my post above.

Associate
Shouldn't this be a TSMC vs GF thread instead of an nvidia vs amd one? Really doubt the inefficient 14nm FinFet GPU is AMD's fault. They had to license it from Samsung because they couldn't make it work on their own - that alone should tell you something. Luckily Zen is going to be manufactured by TSMC.

Soldato
Shouldn't this be a TSMC vs GF thread instead of an nvidia vs amd one? Really doubt the inefficient 14nm FinFet GPU is AMD's fault. They had to license it from Samsung because they couldn't make it work on their own - that alone should tell you something. Luckily Zen is going to be manufactured by TSMC.

Did AMD do any better at TSMC compared to Nvdia? more AMD design.

Associate
Did AMD do any better at TSMC compared to Nvdia? more AMD design.

Only thing we do know is that TSMC's process worked better than GF's for the A9 in the iPhone 6S (different process for Polaris though). Pretty sure they could have achieved higher clocks on TSMC's process.

Man of Honour
Competition from AMD drives development, if nvidia are not threatened, then what incentive do they have to release a card with 50% gains?

They might as well just drip feed small upgrades like the 1080. If there was competition, nvidia could probably release a monster. I wouldn't be surprised if they have the 1080Ti pretty much ready.

AMD are letting the whole high end PC market down. We are slaves to nvidia.

Caporegime
Why? Can't you just buy nVidia's absurdly expensive card?

I am more disappointed that AMD hasn't launched a bigger sized chip to compete and give NVidia a run at the top. I know Vega is coming, but Winter is Coming (or so they say) and I wanted to do a side by side comparison of the two big cards.

I take it you didn't read the whole post, you got as far as you quoted and went with that?

Associate
I am more disappointed that AMD hasn't launched a bigger sized chip to compete and give NVidia a run at the top. I know Vega is coming, but Winter is Coming (or so they say) and I wanted to do a side by side comparison of the two big cards. I understand AMD's reasonings though and they have to go for the mass market and Gibbo did say that they had shifted 700+ in a couple of hours, so good news for AMD there at least.

I feel for AMD but they haven't really helped themselves over the years. They have made some decent CPUs but sat back and the same with GPUs and now they play second fiddle to Intel and NVidia. Hopefully they can turn it around though and give both a decent fight.

There was a white raven from Oldtown, Winter has come :D

Soldato
Let's be clear on what's just happened. The RX 480 offers the same performance per watt as the 2 years old 28 nm GTX 970 in DX 11. Forget the fact that it's actually slightly slower and overclocks terribly for a moment. This is the key line:

The RX 480, a 2016 14nm GPU, offers the same performance per watt as the GTX 970, a 2 year old 28nm GPU.

Let that sink in.

The impications for Vega are profound. Forget competing with the 1080 Ti. Banish those thoughts completely. It will be a miracle if they hit 1080 performance.

Nvidia dominance is complete, and when history looks back, the card that changed everything was the GTX 970, truly the GOAT.

Let this sink in,
dx12, the software that created ultimate gaming for pc, Mantle developed by amd now used indx12 and Vulkan shows dominATIon from amd.
console use async compute and dx12/mantle games as BF1 and others coming in strong suit. We already see the 390 and its brother compete and beat the 980ti maxwell arc in dx12 and Pascal dont improve much there at all.
When one understands that a midrange amd card beats the oh so mighty 980ti you know nvidia is in trouble the coming years for PC gaming.

when one let that sinks in one ask, who is the future card, AMD 480 and Vega.
There is no competition from nvidia and they know it.

Associate
Let this sink in,
dx12, the software that created ultimate gaming for pc, Mantle developed by amd now used indx12 and Vulkan shows dominATIon from amd.
console use async compute and dx12/mantle games as BF1 and others coming in strong suit. We already see the 390 and its brother compete and beat the 980ti maxwell arc in dx12 and Pascal dont improve much there at all.
When one understands that a midrange amd card beats the oh so mighty 980ti you know nvidia is in trouble the coming years for PC gaming.

when one let that sinks in one ask, who is the future card, AMD 480 and Vega.
There is no competition from nvidia and they know it.

I am guessing you're from an alternate universe where that stuff is true, but in mine things don't quite work out that way :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom