Watercooled or not....

Soldato
I prefer air, because it's simpler and cheaper to swap components around, chuck in my customised LED crap and so on.

I don't even overclock (I got help setting up a stable all-day clock and there it stays)... And yet, here I sit with a custom watercooled CPU/GPU loop!!
Certainly water is better for performance, but more of a mission to swap everything around, refill and rebleed each time.

Associate
I would love to do a custom loop but I swap and change bits to often. I did have an AIO in my system until the weekend but I've now got a phanteks cooler fitted. I'm getting lower temps than I got with the H80i and I'm running a 4690k @4.5ghz.

I do prefer air over a AIO as there's less to go wrong and if your case has good airflow it can achieve better results. I do believe some cases are more suited to a AIO unit more than air though

Associate
i think for current quad cores you can do easily enough with a huge heatsink and slow fan to trundle along at 4.5ghz

but for graphics cards, think you can gain a lot there in terms of noise and heat and packaging

Caporegime
Watercooling is essentially a hobby project; it is highly unlikely that you'll see significant real world benefits for substantial investment and you run a greater risk of harm to your system if you have any faults.

Air cooling is cheap, reliable and more than good enough to provide stable, quiet overclocking to a reasonable level.

So: watercool if you want to do it as a hobby and you think you'll enjoy it; aircool if you want the most pragmatic option.

Associate
Watercooling is essentially a hobby project; it is highly unlikely that you'll see significant real world benefits for substantial investment and you run a greater risk of harm to your system if you have any faults.

Air cooling is cheap, reliable and more than good enough to provide stable, quiet overclocking to a reasonable level.

So: watercool if you want to do it as a hobby and you think you'll enjoy it; aircool if you want the most pragmatic option.

My thoughts exactly! Custom watercooling is really for enthusiasts, analogous to people that pimp up their cars I guess! The only practicality is it enables you to OC your g-cards, but I don't bother anyway as it leads to instabilities.

But they are amazing to look at!

EDIT: btw I'm in the custom wc crowd! I even cool my ram and have laser cut case panels!

Last edited:
Soldato
My thoughts exactly! Custom watercooling is really for enthusiasts, analogous to people that pimp up their cars I guess!
I'm not an enthusiast and I have w/c... I just like to have a cooler rig and my temps dropped by more than half just from putting in a pretty basic single loop.

...and if *I* can manage it, then it's not exactly difficult, either! :p

Back
Top Bottom