Help Required - Desktop Speakers

Associate
Ok here's the lowdown, I need a set of desktop speakers but they have to fit a certain criteria.

Basically I have a triple screen set up with the monitors on brackets, so the speakers need to fit under them, so they can't be big.

No room for a sub so a simple 2 speaker set up

Connectable to an ASUS Xonar Essence STX II sound card which powers my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros as well

Ideally white to fit the colour scheme and prince range is upto £200 but less if possible.

Current ones I'm looking at are;

Audioengine A2+W Powered Desktop Speakers (Pair) in Gloss White

Or

Kanto YU2 3 Inch 2-Way Powered Desktop Speakers - Gloss White

Any advice on other models is very welcome and thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Associate
you have not said what monitors as it would help.

3 way hdmi sound may be confusing to the pc, so how about a 1 into 3
audio splitter for the 3.5 mm jacks.

without a sub the sounds not going to be that great so use what you have
and it will cost pennies.

Associate
OP
you have not said what monitors as it would help.

3 way hdmi sound may be confusing to the pc, so how about a 1 into 3
audio splitter for the 3.5 mm jacks.

without a sub the sounds not going to be that great so use what you have
and it will cost pennies.

Hey Wakadoo, cheers for the reply.

The monitors are irrelevant tbh, they were only mentioned to note that there's a height restriction for the speakers. I certainly won't be using them for any sound.

Also I have no room for a sub and the room is quite small so bass doesn't need to be strong anyway.

I just need a decent set of speakers, that are small enough, yet good enough to play mostly music on.

Soldato
How about something like this? Normally for TV's but mounts to VESA holes, simple and good sound. It's a tiny bit bright sound but sub is very good considering the size

Q-Acoustics QTV2

Associate
OP
How about something like this? Normally for TV's but mounts to VESA holes, simple and good sound. It's a tiny bit bright sound but sub is very good considering the size

Q-Acoustics QTV2

Thanks for the input.
Only problem with that is it doesn't work with a triple monitor setup as my other monitors will block the sound, hence why I'm looking at desktop speakers

Soldato
Are those Kanto YU2's available in the UK?

Doing a quick search, I didn't find any UK dealers.

A2+ are very good but are overpriced in my opinion. If you can't find the YU2 for a good price in the UK though, then the A2+ are likely your best bet.

The colour and particularly size restrictions, leave you with a very slim choice indeed of good sounding speakers. I'm sure there are plenty of PC speakers that will fit both criteria, but likely they will be cheap and sound rubbish compared to those mentioned above.

Associate
OP
Are those Kanto YU2's available in the UK?

Doing a quick search, I didn't find any UK dealers.

A2+ are very good but are overpriced in my opinion. If you can't find the YU2 for a good price in the UK though, then the A2+ are likely your best bet.

The colour and particularly size restrictions, leave you with a very slim choice indeed of good sounding speakers. I'm sure there are plenty of PC speakers that will fit both criteria, but likely they will be cheap and sound rubbish compared to those mentioned above.

Yep they're available on Amazon, so definitely an option. Thanks for the help

be handy to know what the size of the gap you need them to fit in.

I did measure the size, but can't remember so I'll have to update when I am home later. Width and depth is no issue, just the height.

Associate
OP
be handy to know what the size of the gap you need them to fit in.

I could fit speakers behind the side monitors as they are angled & there's room, but to sit under the monitors, one to each side I have approx 225mm

If some better speakers are above that size, not by much then I could do the above & fit them behind into the corners of the desk.

x1eHIu1.jpg

Associate
OP
Well I finally went for the Kanto YU2 speakers.

They should fit perfectly & can't wait to kick out the tunes direct from my sound card.

Cheers folks!

Soldato
You could always have got bigger speakers and laid them on their sides. As long as you angled them up towards your ears they would have worked just as well as standing upright.

Associate
Has the I/O on the STX II been upgraded from the original STX? If not, you may need a 3.5mm TRS (female) to L/R RCA (male) adapter for those speakers. You don't want to plug them into the headphone jack on that headphone amp card. You want to plug them into the RCA outs.

If there is an unamplified 3.5mm TRS out on the newer card ignore my post.

Associate
OP
Grabbed a RCA to 3.5mm cable and they're running sweet!

Just needed to tinker with the Equaliser to get them sounding nice.

Definitely kick out some power considering their size :D

Associate
OP
As I outlined in the original post I don't have the room and tbh, with the speakers being on a kitchen worktop, they kick out some decent bass already.

Happy chappy :D

Back
Top Bottom