Microphone recommendations

Soldato
Microphone broke on my headset so need something to replace it.

What mics do you guys use?

Ideally as cheap as possible as I'll look to replace the headset in the near future.

Seen a few clip on style mics from speedlink and zalman for about £7, do any of you use them?

Soldato
Speedlink SPES was crap from my experience, the Zalman was marginally better, but a super cheap £1.70 from dx.com did a better job than both.

I'd skip cheap and get a proper mic like a Snowball or Modmic and then upgrade your headset to a proper set of headphones later.

Soldato
OP
As much as I'd love to i can't afford it at the moment so cheap is the only route.

I've checked out the Dx mic and while it would do the job it takes an age to be delivered.

I may just upgrade to a modmic in the future and stick with my headset as it seems to fit the bill although it's getting on a bit now.

Currently using the qpad qh90's

Soldato
I'm using a modmic on my HD25s and it's great. They give you a few extra clips so you can attach it to more than one set of headphones too.

Spend more than £7, it'll last longer :)

Soldato
The Speedlink or Zalman are fine if that's all you can afford at the moment, until you can get something better. I've got both, and they are OK. Other than background noise pickup, I got no complaints over actual sound quality.

Soldato
OP
I use the Speedlink one and think it's fine, looks like it's went up in price a few quid since i bought it though.

Cheers think I'll order that one for the time being.

I'm using a modmic on my HD25s and it's great. They give you a few extra clips so you can attach it to more than one set of headphones too.

Spend more than £7, it'll last longer :)

I'd love the modmic but at the moment I'm just looking for cheap to get me by. If I upgrade headset in the future I'd kick myself for spending £40 on a mic when one was included with headset.

Just out of interest what would a recommended headset only be? Sub £100

Soldato
Kington HyperX Cloud I or II, is probably what I'd get if I was considering a headset. II is the same headset but comes with a USB sound card device.

Sennheiser microphones are very good, but you've often got to pay a premium to get their better quality headsets.

Soldato
OP
Anything under £100 wont really be an upgrade over the QPads, they're roughly based on the DT770s which are great headphones.

im sure id read that before which is why i got them in the first place.

think i might just treat myself to some new ear pads and then a modmic at somepoint (depending on the quality of the speedlink one)

Back
Top Bottom