Quick question on Homeplug Noise

Associate
I've got some homeplugs that are working well but generating noise on some speakers in the house, particularly my PC speakers.

Am I right in thinking that a surge protector for the speaker plug will remove the noise, and if so are there any recommendations on what achieves this best?

There is some basic information on some strips removing noise, but I can't find much info on how much noise needs to be removed or products that are best at achieving this - anyone have any experience in removing the noise?

Soldato
You are right. Powerlines seem to operate at about 2-250 MHz, and since most surge-protecting power strips contain low-pass filters they should remove that noise. Can't recommend anything specifically though, sorry.

Saying that if any of your electronics are picking that up as interference they must have really crappy power supplies themselves.

Associate
OP
Thanks, think I'll just go for one and hope for the best.

The speakers they are really affecting are a Creative set from around 9 years ago, so probably on their last legs.

Soldato
I have homeplugs in very close proximity to a surround kit without issues.

I used the TP-Link AV500 and now use the AV1200 which I would whole heartedly recommend. Much more reliable than the 500 and only 55 quid a pair.

Soldato
I have homeplugs in very close proximity to a surround kit without issues.

I used the TP-Link AV500 and now use the AV1200 which I would whole heartedly recommend. Much more reliable than the 500 and only 55 quid a pair.

How are you finding the Devlolo AV1200's?
I'm about to upgrade from some AV500's as well. I was looking at the Devolo however I was also pointed at the Solwise 1200 SmartLink units. They come in at £80 for a pair, a little cheaper than the Devolo.

But, recommendations from actual users always appreciated.

*Edit*
Sorry - see you are using the TP-Link devices, me bad. They were actually third choice out of the 1200 units available. But they are proving good for you?

Soldato
They are very solid so far. Haven't had any issues streaming 1080p content through the apartment over them.
The AV500s were ok to start with, but needed to be rebooted very frequently and seemed to sync at low speeds and never come back from it until powered off. The newer 1200s seem spot on. Haven't had to reboot them in a month or so and no stuttering or buffering either. Actual throughput tested with iPerf is about 90Mbps give or take. The sync rate they report is like 650Mbps.

Associate
I'm about to upgrade from some AV500's as well. I was looking at the Devolo however I was also pointed at the Solwise 1200 SmartLink units. They come in at £80 for a pair, a little cheaper than the Devolo.

I have a pair of the Solwise 1200 SmartLink ones. Absolutely no complaints from me. Rock solid and very fast. Perfect for xbox, ps and pi3 media box.

Associate
OP
The TPLink Av1200s are the ones I'm using, working great but as I say, causing some noise on PC speakers in particular.

Surge protector incoming, but reckon it's just old speaker syndrome.

Associate
Not sure if the ones you are using have a pass through socket, but if they do, make sure you are plugging in everything after the pass through as it acts as a noise filter

Associate
OP
Not sure if the ones you are using have a pass through socket, but if they do, make sure you are plugging in everything after the pass through as it acts as a noise filter

Thanks, tried that too, put the speakers directly into the passthrough, same problem I'm afraid, must be a crappy PSU for the speakers.

Soldato
Have you tried using a mains conditioner?

I use one on my stereo. In an experiment I tried running a power-line adapter plugged into the mains conditioner. The result was it dramatically reduced the speed the power-line adapter could sync at. So in conclusion it did not totally eliminate the power-line adapter signal, however it significantly reduced it. I monitored this using the powerline software from a PC.

Google 'Tacima 6 Way Mains Conditioner'.

Btw. I did not purchase this to reduce noise from the powerline adapters but to help improve overall sound from the amplifier.

Last edited:
Associate

I have 3 Devolo AV1200's, 2 normal and 1 with wifi that acts as a bridge upstairs for the kids to use and all are rock solid.

Back
Top Bottom