Anyone know much about Proper Fibre? Glasgow Area

Associate
Hi Guys and girls,
Need a little help, looking for someone glasgow/ayrshire based that may know a little about fibre. Got a bunch of fibre cables around 9 in total ranging from 8 to 24 core. Need to know is it simple to connect them all up etc.

Associate
OP
Sorry, The 9 cables i have, have been cut from any patch or splice gear. Just the cable it self. I need to know is it worth getting them connected and patched properly and if so how much. The cables go to 9 different building all carried over head. They have not been operational for just under 2 year. The site there at is a community trust charity site.

Don
little more detail would help

+1

Sorry, The 9 cables i have, have been cut from any patch or splice gear. Just the cable it self. I need to know is it worth getting them connected and patched properly and if so how much. The cables go to 9 different building all carried over head. They have not been operational for just under 2 year. The site there at is a community trust charity site.

All of the existing fibres would need to be re-spliced with connectors into a new patch tray, you would also need SFPs appropriate to the fibre type e.g. single vs multimode (and switches with SFP slots if you haven't already)

If it's just for inter building connections, then you are likely to better off running new pre-terminated fibre or some kind of wireless setup.

Need to know what the purpose of this is - how many PCs are in individual buildings etc, what hardware have you already got etc.

Associate
I have a carrot. It's been pulled from the ground somewhere, mostly orange but the top bit is quite green. Is it worth it? Are carrots good?

More seriously,

What are you trying to achieve? Connect the 9 different buildings for <reason>? Share an internet connection? Are these 9 offices each with 1000 staff in? Or what?

Caporegime
If you don't need connectivity between the buildings where these fibres are run then no, it's not worth getting them terminated.

What are you asking?

Associate
OP
Apologies for the delay, The previous tennent's of the buildings have them all connected by fibre. When they left they removed all there equipment aswell as cut each fibre terminations off. The task I have been working on is getting several buildings connected to each other. At the moment theres 20 staff between 2 buildings sharing a Wireless link using UBNT nanobeams. Does the job well and does not struggle. However as time moves on CCTV cameras and more staff are comin on board. So I would like to use the Fibre connections between the buildings at some point.

Back
Top Bottom