Hg612 openreach modem. Need best vdsl settings

Associate
Hi. Just bought a hg612 to replace my hh5.

Im not running any other routers. I do have a couple of APs and a managed switch.

Could someone help me with what settings to put as ive factory defaulted at the min and the APs arent working.

Thanks

Caporegime
Erm, the HG612 is a modem, not a router.

You need a router between your LAN and the Modem, or at least a device that can do NAT (I'm assuming here that your switch can't NAT, 99.99% of switches don't).

Associate
OP
Thanks for that. Ill test these tomorrow.
Yeah i wanted it as a direct replacement for the hh5 so to use as a modem and router. All devices will be on same subnet.
Cheers

Soldato
Ok. Ill try that too. Just want things to be bit more stable.

Any specific settings

Thanks

Assuming the HG612 hasn't been tinkered with (there should still be a sticker over LAN2?) it's just a case of Plugging the phone line into the HG612 and power, then running a cable from LAN1 of the unit to the WAN port on the HH5.

Let me know how you get on :)

Depending on what version of the HH5 you have, you might end up getting better speeds as some versions of the HH5 support G.INP and others don't.

Associate
First of all the HH5 is an all in one solution that doesn't need a modem. What he is asking is how to configure it to work as a router to make his connection more stable. I can't say what the HH5 is like but I went from a HH4 with modem (with poor stability) to a tp link archer c7 and its rock solid now so would suggest this solution to the op.

Soldato
While not what you've asked for, have you just tried that modem and got a successful connection at all?

For quick testing, if you reset the modem, hook it straight into a Windows PC/laptop/whatever, and on the PC create a new "Broadband (PPPoE)" connection with the correct username/password pair... You should have a very fast direct connection. If it doesn't work, you should have less to troubleshoot.

If you need to share that connection while you're testing, you can generally use Windows Internet Connection Sharing pretty easily so long as you've got a free ethernet port or whatever (or el cheap USB ethernet adapter).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom