Associate
Hi,

Currently running:
i5 2500k cpu
gtx 780
8gb ddr3 ram
650w psu
1440p g-sync monitor

Looking to stick to intel processor and nvidia graphics.

budget is variable, thinking around £1k, but happy to pay a bit extra if the performance difference is significant.

any help much appreciated :)

(from a quick look... i am leaning towards i7 6800 cpu (no idea on mobo), maybe an additional gtx780 and try SLI for the first time, or a single gtx1080.)

Associate
You want an i7 6800, an X99 motherboard, 16GB of DDR4 (going to need that) and a GTX 1080 for under 1000 pound??? That's not going to happen, mate.

You need to temper your expectations a bit here.

You don't need a 6 core i7 for gaming. A 6700K is fine along with an affordable Z170 motherboard. Still need that DDR4. Hang onto your 780 for awhile until you can afford a 1070 or 1080 then sell the 780.

SLI 780 would be silly and limit you to 3GB of VRAM which really is not enough any more. Also 780 is not fast by modern standards. 1080's are 8GB cards. Need 4+ these days some games want 6GB for ultra textures at 1440P. Buyer beware.

If you don't want to do all that, your 2500K is honestly still a decent CPU. Overclock the snot out of it, get 16GB of RAM, get a decent SSD, and buy a GTX 1070.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply. I hadnt checked pricing of the whole set up before posting, and after checking i can see that Im looking close to £1k without the GPU. Like i said, the budget can go up if needs be. Would i be right in a ballpark figure of £1600 for i7 6800, an X99 motherboard, 16GB of DDR4, and a GTX 1080?

What would be the price difference if i dropped to a z710 and 6700k?

I have a 650w PSU, will that suffice?

Associate
You know, it's one thing to ask for advice, but I get offended when people like you won't even look up prices (which you can do on this very website we are on right now) themselves. Would you be in the right ballpark? I don't know, would you? Can you run a search on the OCUK store? Can you use a calculator? You can answer these questions yourself.

Soldato
Thanks for the reply. I hadnt checked pricing of the whole set up before posting, and after checking i can see that Im looking close to £1k without the GPU. Like i said, the budget can go up if needs be. Would i be right in a ballpark figure of £1600 for i7 6800, an X99 motherboard, 16GB of DDR4, and a GTX 1080?

What would be the price difference if i dropped to a z710 and 6700k?

I have a 650w PSU, will that suffice?

Here is a rough idea. Is your case ATX ? Also what make/model power supply is it ? You will also need a cpu cooler if you don't already have one.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,366.06
(includes shipping: £11.10)

Associate
OP
You know, it's one thing to ask for advice, but I get offended when people like you won't even look up prices (which you can do on this very website we are on right now) themselves. Would you be in the right ballpark? I don't know, would you? Can you run a search on the OCUK store? Can you use a calculator? You can answer these questions yourself.

thanks for getting offended. the reason i am asking for help is because although i can pair together a cpu with the right socket motherboard, i get confused when there is things like broadwell and haswell cpus and dont want to make a big mistake thinking i can get one motherboard which is half the price of the one i actually need. so when i dont know confidently what parts i need, its hard to add up those parts... i came here for help, not a lecture.

Associate
OP
Here is a rough idea. Is your case ATX ? Also what make/model power supply is it ? You will also need a cpu cooler if you don't already have one.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,366.06
(includes shipping: £11.10)

thanks very much, that looks ideal :D

yes i have atx, and a 650w PSU + half decent cooler (keeps my OCd 2500k cool enough)

i've already purchased a gtx1070 , and with the other parts you've mentioned it looks like it wont be too far off the £1k i was hoping for :)

Associate
OP
Another question... although the system will be used mostly for gaming, (it may be used for more in the future such as video editing in particular)

is there much / any difference in gaming performance (for games like arma 3 where the cpu makes an impact) between 6800k and the 6700k?

Soldato
Another question... although the system will be used mostly for gaming, (it may be used for more in the future such as video editing in particular)

is there much / any difference in gaming performance (for games like arma 3 where the cpu makes an impact) between 6800k and the 6700k?

For gaming the 6700k is probably better, due to being clocked higher. Not many games use that many cores and most only really care about four and clock speed.

Back
Top Bottom