Getting back into PC Gaming and VR

Associate
Hi All,

I've been away from the forums for ages as I gave up PC gaming and sold all of my old PC gear (overclocked rigs and triple monitors etc).

With VR becoming more mainstream I'm going to get back into gaming. Mainly to play racing and flight sim VR.

I've got myself a new racing seat, a G29 and a cheap Rift DK2 (plan to move to Rift CV2 when available in future)

Next step is to get a PC, looking at the Overclockers pre-built system (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forc...-nvidia-gtx-vr-ready-gaming-pc-fs-432-oe.html) with the following specs

• i7 6700K @4.4
  • 16gb ram
  • 250GB SSD + 3TB HD

I will be running this rig via a 4K TV when not using VR games, so want to play games at 4K resolution as well.

To me, the spec looks good enough to run VR and 4K. Am I though going over the top? Should I downgrade the spec, money not really the issue here.

Any other tips, suggestions to someone coming back to gaming and specifically VR?

Cheers

Taff

Associate
A single 1080 will get you 1440p with most (if not all) bells and whistles enabled at a very respectable framerate. Yes, it can do 4K, but you'll need to tone down the effects in many recent games.

For 4K at a solid framerate with most/all the trimmings, you really need to look slightly further at the Titan X (Pascal) or perhaps the upcoming 1080Ti. The other alternative is going 1080 SLI, but I wouldn't recommend it at this point with the Ti potentially around the corner.

VR-wise, that sort of system will perform just fine IMO - you really don't want to skimp any further on the specs :) Personally I'd rather build the rig myself and put the savings towards a larger SSD.

Associate
I currently have a Rift and G29 with G29 gearshift sitting in my cart :D

VR is single GPU so 1080/Titan X Maxwell/Titan X Pascal is top of the range, I think the setup will do fine for VR.

For 4K though it might be harder I currently have 2x Titan X (Maxwell) and thinking of downgrading to something like a 3440x1440 100hz overclocked curved monitor.

It's not that the performance is bad (most of my games are running on 4K Ultra) but some need a little tweaking for solid 60FPS. It's more about future proofing.

4K Maxed settings means upgrading every other year (if not sooner and always 2 GPUs) or lowering settings.

With a nice 2560x1440p 165hz or 3440p 100Hz Gsync monitor I think you will be happier and less likely to upgrade as often.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers for feedback, sounds like the spec I'm going for will be good enough for starting with.

Africanos23, in terms of the G29 and Rift, the trial I had with it blew me away and that was with a DK2, so CV1 will be even better.

I'm currently using the G29 and seat with F1 2016 and Project Cars on my PS4 and it is an excellent wheel. Personally though I have the gearstick, I don't use it, though have tried it. Presume you want it for a specific game need. If you've not got a racing seat, have a look at the Playseat Challenge,, makes a huge difference to the experience.

Cheers

Taff

Soldato
Be aware that there are enhancements to the Oculus Rift CV1 software stack that improve perceived performance that doesn't work with the DK2.

Someone with a CV1 will be able to achieve higher graphical fidelity, run at a lower framerate but give a better "feeling" and less motion sickness than you would with the DK2 because of the use of Asyncronus Space Warp (https://developer.oculus.com/blog/asynchronous-spacewarp/)

In theory, you'd be better of buying a 1070, selling the DK2 and using the money saved/earnt buying a CV1. You'll be able to run VR games better than a 1080 with the DK2 - and on top of that they'll look better too.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
cheers for the response Roy and agree that CV1 is the better headset, it has crossed my mind to do what you are suggesting.

My only reason for not going down this approach is that I'm not sure if I will go Rift or Vive path at this point, so think I will continue with the Dk2 for the time being, but you have me thinking it through again. Money isn't much of an issue here for me, so could sell the DK2 and my PS4 after I get all this up and running and then buy a CV1 of Rift or Vive.

Soldato
Yeah, it was just to get you thinking :)

It's obviously bleeding edge stuff. I have both and I still can't tell you which one is better.

However, if you're buying a computer FOR VR, then sticking with the DK2 is a bit like using it with a 720p monitor... but instead of getting better graphics by running at a lower resolution you also have to turn down the graphics to make it run as well...

Honestly, if you're not buying a new VR headset yet then don't buy a new computer (for VR)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
well, ignored your advice RoyMi6 and ordered the PC from Overclockers, but have now sold a load of old gear to allow me to buy a CV1 to go with the PC :).

All I need to do now is to sell the DK2 and I'm sorted. :)

All should arrive this coming week so can't wait to get going with it.

Back
Top Bottom