PlayStation 4 Pro in-bound

Soldato
I take it to get everything working correctly I would need a AVR with 4k spec if I get the pro and a 4k TV.

I connect all my devices into a Denon AVRx2000 currently.

Just connect the Pro via optical or use HDMI return for audio...

A 4K amp makes things easier but is not needed.

I'm currently using my X2000 with my KS7000 and it works great.

Soldato
I had the X2300 but sold it recently. Tbh the X2000 works perfectly and I had a few handshake issues with the X2300.

It's worth trying before you buy a new one anyway...

V F

V F

Soldato
I think that's not what will happen, why would it? the ps4 has the bigger playerbase, the devs are hardly going to create a game with higher textures and lighting effects etc for say 15% of the playerbase and then create a toned down version for the other 85% on the other platforms. Think it would continue as it is now, higher res and higher textures if it's also being developed for pc. The cpu holds it back and doesn't really let it make gameplay changes.

they could just do 1080 res and go crazy with all the visual effect but why spend all the extra time stripping it all out of the game and replacing them with worse effects for the majority? just doesn't make good business sense. just upping the res and using any higher textures does. upping the lighting/shadow effects is exactly what has caused fps drops in the last guardian when compared to a regular ps4 and think it was the same for finalfantasy and last of us as well.

It should have been kept for the PS5. I'd rather have a huge jump in detail and performance rather than a half arsed attempt.

Soldato
What's with the strange UK TV advertising which state there's a new and improved PS4 out now, and show the slim. :confused:

To be fair it looks better and runs cooler etc.
I think they are going for the mass market.

I did think they were talking about the Pro when it started though :rolleyes:

Soldato
It should have been kept for the PS5. I'd rather have a huge jump in detail and performance rather than a half arsed attempt.

That's what bothers me the most. They've made an upgraded system which is still too weak to offer a significant visual upgrade over the standard PS4 and what's even worse, devs are free to utilise the spare grunt in whatever way they see fit so most are going for 4k.

It's a nice system for the money but I'd prefer they concentrated their efforts on PS5 to really up the ante.

IMO, devs should focus their efforts on 1080p and improve AA, framerates, textures and effects but the Pro is marketed as a 4k system. That was a bad move.

The makers of Yakuza 6 got over-enthusiastic and the demo renders at 900p and dips below 30fps quite often with noticeable tearing at times.
I'd sell my PS4 and upgrade to the Pro if it can alleviate that or provide 60fps but I'll have to wait for reviews. It sucks they couldn't optimise it better for the standard console.

Soldato
That's what bothers me the most. They've made an upgraded system which is still too weak to offer a significant visual upgrade over the standard PS4 and what's even worse, devs are free to utilise the spare grunt in whatever way they see fit so most are going for 4k.

It's a nice system for the money but I'd prefer they concentrated their efforts on PS5 to really up the ante.

IMO, devs should focus their efforts on 1080p and improve AA, framerates, textures and effects but the Pro is marketed as a 4k system. That was a bad move.

The makers of Yakuza 6 got over-enthusiastic and the demo renders at 900p and dips below 30fps quite often with noticeable tearing at times.
I'd sell my PS4 and upgrade to the Pro if it can alleviate that or provide 60fps but I'll have to wait for reviews. It sucks they couldn't optimise it better for the standard console.

Erm, the difference is huge on some games. BF1 for instance, it's like some wiped off the vaseline that had been smeared over your eyeballs.

Soldato
It is noticeable in some games not so much in others. I think it will be utilised more in future releases but I doubt there will be a huge difference as some were expecting. It's a step up but not a revolution.

Soldato
I don't have a pro but a friend does and although we don't have the same TV I don't think the difference is as big as many make out, maybe I'm not playing the right games or something but so far I see it as a waste of money if you already have a ps4

Caporegime
I had a PS4 but dont see it as a waste of money. After selling my PS4, the pro ended up costing me £250. For that money I now have the best Playstation for at least 4 years.

I feel no more stupid than people who pay £500 for a graphics card that gives them an extra 20fps or so.

V F

V F

Soldato
I don't have a pro but a friend does and although we don't have the same TV I don't think the difference is as big as many make out, maybe I'm not playing the right games or something but so far I see it as a waste of money if you already have a ps4

I had a PS4 but dont see it as a waste of money. After selling my PS4, the pro ended up costing me £250. For that money I now have the best Playstation for at least 4 years.

I feel no more stupid than people who pay £500 for a graphics card that gives them an extra 20fps or so.

Feels like back in the day having a GeForce 3 then they come out with a GeForce 3 Ti 500.

Soldato
Farming Simulator 2017 have let out a sneaky PS4 Pro patch in the latest update. It's a solid improvement.

1080p mode (standard)

1080p mode (enhanced graphics option enabled)

4K native mode

Notice in 1080p enhanced mode, the draw distance on the corn is improved. The real difference for me though is the increased quality and resolution in 4K.

They've implemented the Pro option perfectly, leaving the choice down to the user of 1080, 1080 enhanced, 1440 or 4K.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Had my Pro a week now and have BF1, Ratchet and Clank and Watch Dogs 2. I am totally amazed coming from an Xbox One. The games I have look stunning on my 65" 4K TV and easily compete with a high end PC. Big well done to Sony, this is the console I have been waiting for!

Soldato
Had my Pro a week now and have BF1, Ratchet and Clank and Watch Dogs 2. I am totally amazed coming from an Xbox One. The games I have look stunning on my 65" 4K TV and easily compete with a high end PC. Big well done to Sony, this is the console I have been waiting for!

So the pro does native 4k@60fps in BF1?

Back
Top Bottom