"Fake Duracell Industrial batteries"

Soldato
OP
These are what I got earlier in the week - can't remember any serial numbers on the AAs...

MtofTJKm.jpg

All genuine Duracell batteries will have the serial/Batch number laser etched on the battery at the bottom as per my pic above.

I have emailed Duracell and awaiting a response to confirm.

the ebay seller I purchased from has sent me a copy of a suppliers invoice and is claiming they are genuine. Tbh I think they have been unknowingly supplied fakes. They are being a bit defensive.

Just ordered some this morning from Amazon. Will check them out when the arrive. Seller seems reputable but you never know.

I ordered some off Amazon last year, 5 lots of 10's for approx £15.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UTGZJGK

If you look at the product pics, they actually look like the fakes in the OP's post, although the item I received was more like the genuine one on the left of the OP's post with BBE dates and the rounded flip etc.

Soldato
OP
I ordered some off Amazon last year, 5 lots of 10's for approx £15.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UTGZJGK

If you look at the product pics, they actually look like the fakes in the OP's post, although the item I received was more like the genuine one on the left of the OP's post with BBE dates and the rounded flip etc.

That is the same seller I received these from and they are fakes (Awaiting Duracell to confirm) I do not think it's the sellers fault I think they have unknowing been supplied fakes by the supplier.

The 1 & 2 star Amazon reviews also raise concerns on non genuine batteries being supplied tbh.

Man of Honour
When even the NHS can end up buying knock off drugs it's not surprising that a lot of sellers may be flogging fake batteries with no idea.

Soldato
OP
When even the NHS can end up buying knock off drugs it's not surprising that a lot of sellers may be flogging fake batteries with no idea.

True.

It does raise concerns especially if these are Zinc batteries as a google search of the number under the label suggests. The potentially for leakage or even explosion is considerably higher and I would not wan't to be risking them in Kids toys or expensive equipment..

Last edited:
Soldato
That is the same seller I received these from and they are fakes (Awaiting Duracell to confirm) I do not think it's the sellers fault I think they have unknowing been supplied fakes by the supplier.

The 1 & 2 star Amazon reviews also raise concerns on non genuine batteries being supplied tbh.

You might not necessarily receive that sellers stock as the order has come through FBA. If there is more than one seller selling the item they get commingled. One seller could send in fakes the rest genuine and the fakes get distributed to each of the sellers customers.

Soldato
Apparently a non fake duracell, you should not be able to remove the plastic wrapper?

Unless its just a lot easier to do with a fake vs real.

I got a pack from Amazon and Im pretty sure they are genuine, but I can remove the plastic wrapper with a little force.

Soldato
OP
Apparently a non fake duracell, you should not be able to remove the plastic wrapper?

Unless its just a lot easier to do with a fake vs real.

I got a pack from Amazon and Im pretty sure they are genuine, but I can remove the plastic wrapper with a little force.

Yeah I'm not sure about that bit as I can remove the wrapper on my genuine ones as well. It did take a bit more effort than the fake ones though and came of in bits rather than a whole.

Best guide at the minute is to make sure you have the laser etched serial/batch number. It at least means there is a chance they are genuine.

Associate
Anyone knows if the Duracell Industrial AA from 7day is a fake too?

They seem to be the cheapest for a box of the battery, 100pcs.

Associate
Moogleys,

I have bought hundreds of these industrial batteries and the Procell as they used to be called and none of them have ever had the serial number etched in such a way as your picture. Neither the Procell or the new industrial ones have it.

I buy mine from county supplies through work at £1.80 a box. I'm curious now as to if we're being supplied genuine batteries! Not that they've ever let us down.

EDIT:

Took the wrapping off which was easy and it only has a serial number on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm waiting on Duracell getting back to me to confirm but everything I have read suggests that all genuine batteries have the laser etching. Just need confirmation on this from Duracell....

Soldato
Mine arrived today from Amazon. Same batch number as yours Moogleys on the AA's ! They do look a bit suspect.

Edit, purchased from same seller also. Not sure whether they are genuine or not so please update when you hear from Duracell.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I had a reply from Duracell that is a bit generic but says they should have the laser etching and they cannot do much else unless I send them to them. I did send them lots of pics but it seems they did not really look at them.

Soldato
From what I've observed, the genuine ones all appear to have a colour coded ring on the "-" end as well as the etched code. I've just gone through all mine and it seems the same applies to the older Procell ones too. Had a couple of nasty leaks with those :(

Also, the genuine boxes all seem to open from the top, revealing the top of the battery?

Last edited:
Soldato
After chucking out nearly three full boxes this afternoon I've just gone and bought another two :)

The seller has assured me they match what I've described in this thread so I've got all that on tap should I need it when making a claim. Thinking back and looking at what I threw out I think I must have had a bad batch about one in three? Not too bad.

I got caught with razors before; they nearly took my face off! Hopefully this time round I should be okay with the batts.

Back
Top Bottom