5960X Overclock

Soldato
I had a read of that link but unfortunately it's a different motherboard they're using so different settings/naming - not entirely sure what CPU ring voltage is on Asus?

I still had a go at 4.4Ghz whilst on 1.275V which booted to windows but then blue screened during RealBench near the end. Temps were creeping in to the low 70s too.

Will try the same settings but 1.3V tonight but if it goes over 75C i'll probably just leave it on 4.2Ghz & 1.2V as I'm only on air compared to your custom loop.

CPU ring voltage is the CPU cache voltage. used if you want to pump up your cache.

Associate
OP
Ah ok, thanks Radox.

Adam, I just tried 4.5 on 1.3V but no luck. Booted in to windows but then failed RealBench pretty after the photo stage.

I think it would be possible it just needs some tinkering which I haven't got the time at the moment. Hopefully will have some free time this weekend to play.

Associate
Just got my new 5960x in, its a very late batch J604C446 (an early 2016 chip so very recent) and is awesome! It's stable at 4.6GHz (4.3GHz Cache) with just 1.24v on the CPU and 1.20v on the cache. It also has a very good IMC, hitting 3200MHz C14 with 1.33v actual VDIMM and only 1.02v system agent volts.

It actually posts and gets into Windows at 5GHz with 1.35v aswell but not a hope of cooling that even with this EK Predator 360.

To say I'm happy is an understatement, its to replace my old Xeon X5650 @ 4.4GHz for my encoding machine and is about double the speed. It was a choice between this 'J' batch and a 6900k and fortunately I went for this.

Associate
That's great reef, I haven't tried 4.6ghz on mine yet but might have to give that a go later on tonight now :) These X99 chips are fantastic and it's the best cpu I have ever bought too, I love it. For the uncore ratio I just leave that on Auto like on the link I left for Kidge, seems to be easier to overclock if leaving it on auto.
I see one of your cores hit 90 degrees running IBT, that would worry me, the highest I have seen when stressing is 81 so I think I still have movement for overclocking, took me a while to get XMP working too for use with my 2666 but thats sorted now.Maybe IBT gets the chip hotter than Aida64, but I test with Aida64 only as I prefare that

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, it gets rather warm when using IBT, though those spikes are brief for under a second. Its sort of a worst case scenario, so I know it wont ever hit that high in general use. When I'm encoding its generally more like 75C maximum. They're difficult chips to cool at higher speeds though, especially now during the summer.

Soldato
Just got my new 5960x in, its a very late batch J604C446 (an early 2016 chip so very recent) and is awesome! It's stable at 4.6GHz (4.3GHz Cache) with just 1.24v on the CPU and 1.20v on the cache. It also has a very good IMC, hitting 3200MHz C14 with 1.33v actual VDIMM and only 1.02v system agent volts.

It actually posts and gets into Windows at 5GHz with 1.35v aswell but not a hope of cooling that even with this EK Predator 360.

To say I'm happy is an understatement, its to replace my old Xeon X5650 @ 4.4GHz for my encoding machine and is about double the speed. It was a choice between this 'J' batch and a 6900k and fortunately I went for this.

Nice CPU you have there, would like to see how it fares under LN2 :D

Associate
I have just ran Realbench to test my 4.5ghz overclock and did 5 runs, max temps was 75 on one of the cores. Now I have never used Realbench before so is it a good indicator of a good overclock? I did try IBT but I really don't like it and it puts the cpu late 80s so not using that again, nothing i do will ever make it that hot so its unrealistic really. Aida64 8 hours passed too max 81. Should I overclock more do you think guys? I am already using 1.32v so maybe I should just up to x46 and test?

Last edited:
Associate
Alright cool, I think I will try 4.6ghz on my 5960x later on then and see what temps are like with that then, I am not upping my voltage anymore than 1.32v though, so if 4.6ghz isn't stable I will keep 4.5 :)

Associate
OP
This is driving me crazy! I've recently moved my system in to a new case and I'm sure ever since doing this my overclock is no longer showing as 4200MHz in CPUZ and the bus speed is jumping up and down.

Anyone got any idea why as it's never done this before?

Soldato
The core speed going up and down is normal, it changes based on load, so if its just idle it will be running a lot lower, run the CPU-Z bench and you will see core speed pop back up to normal OC settings.

No idea on the Bus speed though, that should generally be static. Maby just restart the PC, may be a glitch with the reading.

Associate
OP
Yeah when running realbench the bus speed jumps up and down from 96 to 97/98 which is why my x42 multiplier isn't putting it to 4200MHz but I don't know why this has started doing this.

I've tried setting the cpu strap manually to 100 from auto as I have XMP enabled but no difference.

Associate
OP
Things i've tried:

Resetting the BIOS and re-applying overclock.
Re-installing CPUZ and HW Monitor in case it was a software misread.
Setting the RAM to 2400 manually with XMP enabled.
Adding a bit more Vcore
Disabling intel speed step.

I just cannot understand why it will no longer go to 100MHz bus speed. Prior to this it would stay permanantly on 99.98MHz bus speed which I read was fine but now it fluctuates between 96.8 and 97.04 which is giving me a final speed of 4075MHz Core speed.

I'm starting to wonder if I damaged something whilst swapping cases because I just can't work this out.

Associate
OP
Nickolp, I have windows set to high performace, do you know what other power saving features there are in the Asus BIOS?

I've also just downloaded RealTemp after some googling and that is actually showing the correct 100x42 and 4.2Ghz so I wonder if it is just a software issue. I just don't understand why it has started happening when prior to this I was constantly on 99.98MHz.

Associate
OP
Just to provide an update on this, I recently had my power supply die and in the process of troubleshooting this I found the solution to my fluctuating bus speed.

I reset my CMOS while troubleshooting and then found that my machine was stable once it was powered back on and overclock applied.

I then noticed that when I enabled Intel Hypervisor it the bus speed would go back to fluctuating. Therefore if I want to run any benchmarks I now simply have to disable that setting again. I'll probably do it permenantly after I've completed my exams.

Back
Top Bottom