• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980Ti fried (hardware gore inside)

Associate
So my PC just cut out with an audible hiss/sizzle and a strong burning smell. It didn't take much detective work to find the culprit.....

GPU Core
iuu3Hao.jpg

Underside of heatsink
n5dE2rx.jpg

Close up
yEuQwpL.jpg

RIP 980Ti. At bearly a year old you were to young to go out like this. :(

Any idea what might have caused this? i replaced the thermal paste about a month ago and the card has been running at 1500mhz since with the max voltage afterburner will allow running through it. It looks like there is no Tim on the corner of the GPU but I'm guessing that this was burned away when a jet of flame shot out of the core! It was definitely fully covered when I applied it. Could a dodgy Tim application cause this considering the card has been running stable with a pretty substantial overclock for a month? Temps have also been fine during this time.

Power surge maybe? My PSU is an OCZ ZX series 850w which I assume has surge protection built in? The card was running from two separate 8 pin cables.

The rest of my PC seems undamaged which is a bit of a relief! I could dig out my old 780ti to drop in for the time being but I'm a little reluctant as I'd rather not fry another card. Do you guys think it's safe to do so? My PC is booting into Windows fine without a GPU installed.

And finally, what's MSI's warranty like? I had to break a warranty sticker to remove the cooler so I guess I'm screwed there?

Soldato
If you haven't changed the cooler and only removed the sticker but all screws are the same I'd send it in they should complain but if they do say that you haven't changed anything + it was that it was like this when you got it, I know it feels terrible when this happens but at least you should have warranty unlike me :D

I'd put in the GTX 780ti if that has warranty, if it fries you know the PSU is bad and you might get something better in return :p

Caporegime
Wonder what component it was that popped, seems an odd place for something to go bang right on the bare edge of the core, usually it would be a capacitor or something on the pcb.

Associate
OP
Smells like an insurance job to me.:p

I read that you are supposed to do a burn test when overclocking right!? :p

Wonder what component it was that popped, seems an odd place for something to go bang right on the bare edge of the core, usually it would be a capacitor or something on the pcb.

I think the core itself failed and the burn mark is where the flame shot out of the gpu wall in a jet. It certainly sounded that way. I was initially expecting it was a cap so it took me a little while to spot where the damage was as i wasn't looking at the core!

I just dropped a 780Ti in (i have 2 so whats the harm if another bites the dust right?) and it everything seems to be fine for now. I was playing the witcher 3 when it happened and had just gotten to a good part in the main quest as well :mad:

Soldato
I read that you are supposed to do a burn test when overclocking right!? :p

I think the core itself failed and the burn mark is where the flame shot out of the gpu wall in a jet. It certainly sounded that way. I was initially expecting it was a cap so it took me a little while to spot where the damage was as i wasn't looking at the core!

I just dropped a 780Ti in (i have 2 so whats the harm if another bites the dust right?) and it everything seems to be fine for now. I was playing the witcher 3 when it happened and had just gotten to a good part in the main quest as well :mad:

Damn son at least the 780ti isn't a slouch.

Associate
OP
Doesn't look like the corner of the die was making much contact to me

Yeah its possible and it does kind of look that way. I swapped the tim for thermal grizzly kryonaut about a month ago and spread it over the entire core as per the instructions so its not like i put a blob on and it maybe didn't spread out all the way.

Man of Honour
Wonder if something somehow made a connection over the SMD components there maybe a metal shaving from the previous application of paste or something.

Back
Top Bottom