Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Associate
Alright I've just ordered one of these myself; didn't want to take the gamble on an Acer or Asus panel. Thinking about it now, viewing angles and colour accuracy does not pose a priority for me although it's been said this display is one of the best for a TN. I'll also be rid of IPS glow which is awesome.

Gonna compare to my Samsung S27B970D - a solid PLS display with amazing picture and see how it fares.

Soldato
Shouldn't it be cheaper than the S2716DG? Any idea what the release date of this model is?

Dell have not specifically 'announced' this product, in fact their product pages aren't even complete yet. You can certainly expect it this year, but not for another few months I'd say. And yes I certainly expect it to be cheaper than the S2716DG. Perhaps not as much cheaper as some may hope, but I don't see Dell charging a premium just for the extra 21Hz or anything like that.

Soldato
I think it will be more expensive for the PPI Reason.

How many 24inch QHD Screens are about? 1.. as far as I can see.
How many of those have 165hz? Or even 144Hz? 0...
How many of those then have Gsync. Well 0...

Yeah itll be more expensive than the 27 for those reasons.

First to market a QHD 165hz 24" after all.

The ASUS 24" TN 165hz 1080p is £400...

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it will be more expensive for the PPI Reason.

How many 24inch QHD Screens are about? 1.. as far as I can see.
How many of those have 165hz? Or even 144Hz? 0...
How many of those then have Gsync. Well 0...

Yeah itll be more expensive than the 27 for those reasons.

First to market a QHD 165hz 24" after all.

The ASUS 24" TN 165hz 1080p is £400...

You should Google AOC AG241QC. Uses exactly the same panel with a September release expected and yeah, £500+. Not sure which will be first to market. But you're quite right about the novelty factor - that will wear off in not too long though. ;)

Associate
Got my monitor today, what colour settings are people using? The ones on TFT Central give it a greenish tint which I don't like.

Nevermind, I found a setting I like. Got a few dead pixels on mine :( They are in the corners though.

Last edited:
Associate
I tried the settings from TFT Central, and was rather underwhelmed.

These are the adjustments that I`ve found to produce good results :

Brightness : 36
Contrast : 75
Custom Color : R : 90%, G : 97%, B : 98% < Fine tune to remove any tint on your monitor. White should appear as "white" as possible.

NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL.

Use NVIDIA settings

Brightness : 50% < Recently reduced to 45
Contrast : 50% < Recently reduced to 30
Gamma : +0.90
Digital vibrance : +60%

Soldato
I tried the settings from TFT Central, and was rather underwhelmed.

These are the adjustments that I`ve found to produce good results :

Brightness : 36
Contrast : 75
Custom Color : R : 90%, G : 97%, B : 98% < Fine tune to remove any tint on your monitor. White should appear as "white" as possible.

NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL.

Use NVIDIA settings

Brightness : 50% < Recently reduced to 45
Contrast : 50% < Recently reduced to 30
Gamma : +0.90
Digital vibrance : +60%

The settings on TFT Central are designed to be used in conjunction with the ICC profile. Same applies to the settings on my review. The gamma of the S2716DG is too low 'out of the box' and there is no option in the OSD to adjust that. That is why you have adjusted the gamma in Nvidia Control Panel. The fact that you have done that negates any ICC profile, however. And because of the fact the gamma curve bows (is correct at the upper end but not further down), you're only able to correct the gamma properly by using an ICC profile rather than displacing the curve using NVCP adjustment.

Associate
The settings on TFT Central are designed to be used in conjunction with the ICC profile. Same applies to the settings on my review. The gamma of the S2716DG is too low 'out of the box' and there is no option in the OSD to adjust that. That is why you have adjusted the gamma in Nvidia Control Panel. The fact that you have done that negates any ICC profile, however. And because of the fact the gamma curve bows (is correct at the upper end but not further down), you're only able to correct the gamma properly by using an ICC profile rather than displacing the curve using NVCP adjustment.

I did download and install the profile. I checked the profile was working by switching back to the default profile a couple of times.

Soldato
I did download and install the profile. I checked the profile was working by switching back to the default profile a couple of times.

The profile overwrites any changes made in NVCP, aside from the 'Enhancements' such as 'Digital Vibrance'. You can't adjust gamma AND have the profile active. It's one or the other.

Associate
The profile overwrites any changes made in NVCP, aside from the 'Enhancements' such as 'Digital Vibrance'. You can't adjust gamma AND have the profile active. It's one or the other.

I understand that.

In fact I`ve just reinstated the TFT Central Profile and settings. It seems that with my monitor's brightness set to 26%, the image is lacking a bit of vibrancy. To be fair, when I increase the brightness by about 10% on the monitor, the image looks fairly similar to the settings I`ve been using.

Associate
Something I`ve noticed is that the image quality on my screen seems to have improved after a few day's use. I'm sure that's due to my eyes becoming accustomed to the new TN panel after using IPS for a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom