Magnitude 6.2 earthquake in Italy

Associate
Terrible, I can't quite believe how the death toll has escalated so quickly. I never really thought of Italy and other southern European countries as being seismically active (due to the rarity of such events) but looking at maps it does put it into perspective the closeness of the African and European tectonic plates.

RIP to the deceased.

Soldato
I wonder what happens to these towns that get totally devastated by a natural disaster. I guess they'll just rebuild, which surely must take years.. Then wait another 100yrs or whatever it takes before probability bares its certain face again and destroys it.

For example the Tsunamis in Japan March 2013. That was over 3 yrs ago now.. it's happened and it WILL happen again.. Have the residents moved back ? have they rebuilt.?

The entire Californian coast is at high risk for a huge earthquake and due one in terms of probability.. How do they sleep at night ?

I know i'm that little bit nervous at night, whenever i'm there visiting.. Wondering, what if there's a huge quake at night, while i lay in my hotel bed.

Associate
I wonder what happens to these towns that get totally devastated by a natural disaster. I guess they'll just rebuild, which surely must take years.. Then wait another 100yrs or whatever it takes before probability bares its certain face again and destroys it.

Well... yes, that's pretty much exactly what they do. Unless you have an alternative suggestion which can move millions of people away from fault lines in countries which are very close to fault lines, what else would they do?

The one that hit here earlier this year and killed ~120 people was scary, but not much anyone can really do about it. No point living in fear over what might happen.

Edit/ Also RIP to those in Italy, while I play down my personal worry, it's a horrible thing to happen.

Last edited:

JKD

JKD

Associate
I just got back from there last night. I was staying about 12km from the epicentre but bizarrely our little town survived with minimal damage. I'm told it's due to the way the fault lines fan out from the main fault.

Deeply unpleasant couple of nights and I'm not too proud to admit the quake itself was completely terrifying, despite experiencing a lot of smaller quakes there over the years. Aftershocks kept us all on edge, and most people slept outside in the streets.

Drove back to the airport past the ruined towns where they look like a bomb has simply obliterated the towns from the mountainside, was a sobering journey. RIP to those not as lucky as me. Feel like I wish I could have stayed there and helped.

Soldato

For example the Tsunamis in Japan March 2013. That was over 3 yrs ago now.. it's happened and it WILL happen again.. Have the residents moved back ? have they rebuilt.?

The entire Californian coast is at high risk for a huge earthquake and due one in terms of probability.. How do they sleep at night ?

I know i'm that little bit nervous at night, whenever i'm there visiting.. Wondering, what if there's a huge quake at night, while i lay in my hotel bed.

Yep, you just rebuild. Which is what I'm working on on the moment here in Christchurch, NZ. Whole city was devastated by an earthquake 5 years ago.

I've only been here shy of 3 years so missed all the aftershocks, but we still get little shakes now and again. You get used to it.

Soldato
Italy, Greece and the Adriatic countries. Caused by Africa's push northwards. Saw a prog on Earth's continents with Prof Stewart and he said the Med or just above it would eventually become Europe's Himalayas.

Hope there are not too many casualties.

They're called the Alps.

Back
Top Bottom