New gaming mouse, Zowie EC1-A or SS Rival 300?

Associate
Had the Razer Deathadder 2013 for a couple of years but scroll wheel is broken, so I am looking for a replacement.

Bought the Zowie FK1 6 months ago, amazing sensor, weight, stiff buttons (which I like) but I can't get used to it's shape.

Using both fingertip/palm, mostly play CSGO and I am between the EC1-A and the Rival 300. Also looking at the FinalMouse. Won't be buying Razer again.

Which one would you recommend?

Last edited:
Associate
I have had an EC1-A for approx 6 months, and I am a palm user.

My thoughts, nice click action, nice size, but rather slippery finish. Also for my mediumish size hand...the two thumb buttons ( which I use a lot ) are too far to the rear, and certainly not under the natural rocking centre for my thumb button selection clicking.

I can't speak for its fast action gaming use qualities, as I am more a sim player.

Overall all impression..
For the price I paid... fair value, and nice mouse.....but for how I like my mice, not quite my preferred ergonomics, hence not the best mouse I have owned.

Associate
I'm between the EC1-A and the FinalMouse 2016, currently leaning towards the Zowie. Has anyone used both?

Never used Finalmouse, But from the reviews I have saw there is some build quality issues with it.

I have not had a problem with any Zowie mouse yet, I have 3 Zowie FK's.

Associate
OP
I would have already ordered the EC1-A but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm gonna wait by the end of the week and if I don't find it by then I guess I will be buying a FinalMouse.

Associate
I would have already ordered the EC1-A but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm gonna wait by the end of the week and if I don't find it by then I guess I will be buying a FinalMouse.

There was a product recall on the new line of Zowie/BenQ mice due to faults,so thats probily why you cant find it anywhere atm

Soldato
Never used Finalmouse, But from the reviews I have saw there is some build quality issues with it.

I have not had a problem with any Zowie mouse yet, I have 3 Zowie FK's.

Mouse nut here. I have FM, and an old EC1. Could never get used to EC ergonomics, and would not recommend the FM. It's a good mouse in its own right (my main driver), but not great quality.

I'm waiting for the Scream One. I would consider that, or the ZA12, ZA11, or a Mionix.

I also have a Z11 (and an FK, all sorts of Zowies). Much better ergonomically than the EC, and good quality (fit, finish, buttons). Quality never been Zowie's problem from personnal experience, they feel... Awkward. Thin and flat.

Za11 feels big in the hand though, IMO, the ZA12 would be better. Still, as far as shape goes, much more interested in the FM S1.

Associate
OP
So a couple of days ago I pre ordered a Zowie EC1-A from Amazon, they will be getting new stock on the 13th.

Today I grew impatient as I really do need a new mouse this week, so I cancelled the Zowie and ordered a Steelseries Rival 300 instead (which was also a lot cheaper due to no shipping costs).

Hopefully I am going to like it. Never used one before but I've seen a lot of CSGO pro's using one, so I'm guessing it's going to be fine.

Associate
Mouse nut here. I have FM, and an old EC1. Could never get used to EC ergonomics, and would not recommend the FM. It's a good mouse in its own right (my main driver), but not great quality.

I'm waiting for the Scream One. I would consider that, or the ZA12, ZA11, or a Mionix.

I also have a Z11 (and an FK, all sorts of Zowies). Much better ergonomically than the EC, and good quality (fit, finish, buttons). Quality never been Zowie's problem from personnal experience, they feel... Awkward. Thin and flat.

Za11 feels big in the hand though, IMO, the ZA12 would be better. Still, as far as shape goes, much more interested in the FM S1.

How are the ZA's compared to the FK?

Soldato
Bigger. That's about it. Fills the hand more. As for the controls (scrollwheel, buttons), in the ballpark, smoother, but that could just be aging.

People talk about stiffness, click latency and all that bull. The only Zowie that was noticeably stiffer was the AM.

The main issue with mice nowadays for me is shape. Even Zowies aren't that great.

Dunno, maybe wait for the 3360 generations. But you know how mouse sensor hype goes...

Associate
Bigger. That's about it. Fills the hand more. As for the controls (scrollwheel, buttons), in the ballpark, smoother, but that could just be aging.

People talk about stiffness, click latency and all that bull. The only Zowie that was noticeably stiffer was the AM.

The main issue with mice nowadays for me is shape. Even Zowies aren't that great.

Dunno, maybe wait for the 3360 generations. But you know how mouse sensor hype goes...

Was thinking about trying the EC1A out or a ZA, Don't even think I can be bothered though :eek: more of just the same? My hand is 19 CM, I have FK2 atm, Do you think I should try out a ZA?

Soldato
Was thinking about trying the EC1A out or a ZA, Don't even think I can be bothered though :eek: more of just the same? My hand is 19 CM, I have FK2 atm, Do you think I should try out a ZA?

Performance will be similar. Size and feel will be different. What's the price now... £50? That's quite a lot for mice that will offer minimal improvement. Note that I got my EC1 and FK2014 on offer here (about 1/2 price). I got the FK1 and ZA11 with a Camade offer (so I got two).

Worth keeping a look out. They're part of BenQ now, so you may see the 'old' models on offer. Or when Zowie decides to go with the 3360.

That'd be my take on this. Else, look elsewhere for something different, like maybe the Ducky Secret, Deathadder, Roccats...

TBH, there isn't a mouse that I really like ATM. They're all too small, too 'ergo', sensor position too low, too heavy... I wish it were simpler, like a WMO with a 3360 or even a 3310.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Still haven't received my Rival, will probably be here next week :(. I will report back once I get it. Considering getting an EC1-A as well, just in case I don't like it..

Associate
Decided I'm going for one of the new ones that gets re-released in March, Don't think I like my FK2 shape anymore my hand is 19cm, Too big for it imo, Will try out the EC-1A.

Associate
OP
Got my Rival 300, here are some thought after playing with it for a few hours.

Build quality. It doesn't feel cheap, it's a solid build and it feels good. The rubberized coating is nice. Rubberized side grips also feel very nice, I hope they really improved them and that they are going to last. The mouse wheel is good enough, but it could be a bit better. No rattling while moving the mouse fast.

Shape. Not as comfortable as my DA (or maybe I am still not used to it) but I can grip and control it a lot better. My hands are 20cm, using a relaxed palm/claw grip. The side buttons are exactly where I want them. My only complaint here is that I would prefer it to be slightly lighter, say 90-95g would be ideal.

Sensor. Not much to say here, the 3310 is the best sensor and I had no trouble getting used to it.

Buttons. After watching some video reviews I thought that M1+M2 where a bit mushy but I was pleasantly surprised. They are very crisp, stiffer than the DA's and lighter than the FK1's. That's the sweet spot for me. Side buttons feel like they could break at some point but I really like their position and size.

Software. It's alright but once I fully set up my mouse I will probably uninstall it.

LEDs. They look cool but I don't really care about them.

Played CSGO for 3-4 hours and I loved the mouse. Had no trouble getting used to it from the first minute (unlike my FK1). I play at low sens (0.85 @ 800dpi). Lift off distance is perfect, mouse feet are a bit noisy though (on a Goliathus Speed).

Overall I am very impressed so far and very happy with my purchase.

Associate
Got my Rival 300, here are some thought after playing with it for a few hours.

Build quality. It doesn't feel cheap, it's a solid build and it feels good. The rubberized coating is nice. Rubberized side grips also feel very nice, I hope they really improved them and that they are going to last. The mouse wheel is good enough, but it could be a bit better. No rattling while moving the mouse fast.

Shape. Not as comfortable as my DA (or maybe I am still not used to it) but I can grip and control it a lot better. My hands are 20cm, using a relaxed palm/claw grip. The side buttons are exactly where I want them. My only complaint here is that I would prefer it to be slightly lighter, say 90-95g would be ideal.

Sensor. Not much to say here, the 3310 is the best sensor and I had no trouble getting used to it.

Buttons. After watching some video reviews I thought that M1+M2 where a bit mushy but I was pleasantly surprised. They are very crisp, stiffer than the DA's and lighter than the FK1's. That's the sweet spot for me. Side buttons feel like they could break at some point but I really like their position and size.

Software. It's alright but once I fully set up my mouse I will probably uninstall it.

LEDs. They look cool but I don't really care about them.

Played CSGO for 3-4 hours and I loved the mouse. Had no trouble getting used to it from the first minute (unlike my FK1). I play at low sens (0.85 @ 800dpi). Lift off distance is perfect, mouse feet are a bit noisy though (on a Goliathus Speed).

Overall I am very impressed so far and very happy with my purchase.

I had a Rival 300 - CS GO edition which had a plastic top I sent that back as I did not get on with the mouse, Tried a few mice out from the Logitech G502 to a Razer Chroma and back to my FK1, I got the Rival 300 normal edition which I thought was going to be plastic again but it has a rubber finish on top and it's amazing, Love it much more than the CS GO edition variant, My fingers feel like there resting on a pillow! First mouse I've been happy with for a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom