Replacing Noisy Fans

Associate
Hi there,

I currently have a PC (obviously) that seems far too loud. The fans in it are a mixure of Noctua (from the NH-D14) and standard case fans from the coolermaster scout II case. I thought the Noctua fans were quiet anyway so it might just be that rear case fan that comes with the scout 2 case that is making the noise.

I have read the corsair SP120's are good? I would need 2 to go on my Corsair H60i (this currently has the Noctua NH-D14 fans connected to it) watercooler and possibly one exhaust fan? I don't overclock.

Not sure if the case comes with a front fan and if to just leave it if it doesn't.

I am looking at replacing the fans with quiet ones as I have a blue yeti microphone and it seems to pick the fans up. Can also be annoying when im sat there and they are constantly noisy.

Thanks,

Associate
SP120`s are a good choice for rad fans, AF120`s for case fans. The Noctua fans should be ok, how are they all being speed controlled?

Associate
I would disconnect the suspect rear fan see if the noise goes away, if it does, and you don`t have a front fan already, get a twin pack of AF120 quiet series, you want to flow air through the case.

Associate
OP
I would disconnect the suspect rear fan see if the noise goes away, if it does, and you don`t have a front fan already, get a twin pack of AF120 quiet series, you want to flow air through the case.

Ordered the Af120 dual pack. The exhaust fanis some strange branded clear thing I think anyway. (Not currently home).

Ile leave the noctua's on the H60i and replace the case fan and see how I get on.

Associate
The next trick is speed controlling them, easiest way is to plug them into the motherboard sysfan headers and let that control the speed , you may also be able to set speed profiles in bios. If they are plugged straight into the PSU they will just be full speed always.

Theres also a program called speedfan you can download and try, to keep noise down.

Associate
OP
The next trick is speed controlling them, easiest way is to plug them into the motherboard sysfan headers and let that control the speed , you may also be able to set speed profiles in bios. If they are plugged straight into the PSU they will just be full speed always.

Theres also a program called speedfan you can download and try, to keep noise down.

Yeh, the main problem I have is I have a ITX board in the case with not a lot of headers. I used to have a Bitfenix Prodigy M case and swapped the board over (Bitfenix case didn't work for me).

Im tempted to get the MSI 970 Gaming board (AMD CPU) which has a lot more fan connectors on the board and actually fills the case a little more.

Associate
Yeh, the main problem I have is I have a ITX board in the case with not a lot of headers. I used to have a Bitfenix Prodigy M case and swapped the board over (Bitfenix case didn't work for me).

Im tempted to get the MSI 970 Gaming board (AMD CPU) which has a lot more fan connectors on the board and actually fills the case a little more.

What about getting a fan controller like the phanteks pwm or the nzxt grid+ v2. The nzxt you'd be able to control all the fans individually through software.
As long as you have space for the controller would be cheaper than a new board.

Associate
If you have 1 free header you can use a splitter for the 2 new fans, if you have to use the molex you will probably want a speed controller between that and the fans or some resistors. I actually have SP120`s on my rad but i can`t remember if they came with some resitors or not, some fans do.

Associate
OP
New fans are in

Currently says one is 4688 and the other is 3626rpm :/

Still the same noise.

So tempted to just buy a new motherboard. MSI 970 Gaming or something like that. Should allow for better fan control and im currently using a matx board out of a bitfenix prodigy case :S

One think I don't understand is I had just one corsair AF120 fan in and the cpu fan was plugged into the cable coming from the H60I unit on the processor. In Speedfan is said fan 1 and fan 2 and one was working at 4000rpm :S I edited the PWM1 % down but the rpm didn't change?

What am I actually controlling when the H60i unit is plugged into the 4 pin header because there is no fan attached to it?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Speedfan has to be configured correctly, otherwise the PWM% will not effect any change to a fan, or pump speed.

Could be a noisy pump, then I suppose that anything spinning at 4000+ rpm is going to generate a good bit of noise.

Associate
OP
Speedfan has to be configured correctly, otherwise the PWM% will not effect any change to a fan, or pump speed.

Could be a noisy pump, then I suppose that anything spinning at 4000+ rpm is going to generate a good bit of noise.

Ile have a look at speedfan later tonight.

Eitherway I could do with a fan controller as there are only 2 fan headers on the board. 1 for CPU and one for sysfan.

Might be worth unplugging the h60i pump and starting the pc up for a few seconds to see if it is that. I did buy it second hand from the forums and noticed a small amount of liquid on it when I got it :S

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom