First Time Laminate Flooring

Soldato
Having done both within the last year. Yes. It is.

I've done both myself and I cant understand how you think removing a skirting board is easier than NOT removing a skirting board.

Irrespective of the quality of finish. One requires more work than the other, its really that simple.

In my experience I'm talking about a 1930s house. Its somewhat easier to pull off skirting boards that haven't been plastered down to over the years.

Last edited:
Associate
Removing skirting is a better finish, agreed however you run the risk of pulling half the wall with it so be prepared to patch some things up if you do this.

Soldato
I've done both myself and I cant understand how you think removing a skirting board is easier than NOT removing a skirting board.

Irrespective of the quality of finish. One requires more work than the other, its really that simple.

In my experience I'm talking about a 1930s house. Its somewhat easier to pull off skirting boards that haven't been plastered down to over the years.

If it's a 1930s house, it probably has those really tiny skirting boards. Could be a pain to remove them, plus I've seen loads which have radiator pipes running in front.

That said, it you can get them off it would be easier laying the floor, and putting newer more modern skirting boards back on would finish the job off a treat.

Caporegime
Only problem with just a skirting board over head as well is that some floors require half an inch, which may be more than the width of the skirting, so even with the removal of the skirting you're still going to need a bead. :p

That said I doubt laminate needs that much, especially in a small room.

Soldato
Try pulling the skirting off in a Victorian property that's has been re-skimmed and patched up over the last 100years without making a mess! Yes the result would look nicer but the work involved would be significantly more!

Back
Top Bottom