In need of a new router... I think?

Man of Honour
Another vote for using a separate modem. Also that way if you need to reboot your router, there's no potential DLM issues.

If the router you have currently is gigabit capable then I wouldn't be so fast to replace it, you'd be much better off running a separate wireless access point such as a Ubiquiti AC pro and turning wireless off on the router. Change the APs default gateway to the routers IP address and you should be good to go. Absolutely amazing AP.

Associate
OP
Who is your ISP? There are technical issues with some that'll limit your choices.

Do you need a router with an internal VDSL modem (there's still a lot to be said for using the separate Openreach modem with an Ethernet router)?

What are you looking for on the wireless side?

Our ISP is through Utility Warehouse but I think it's provided by TalkTalk. Utility Warehouse list the settings required to use your own kit so I would have thought it would not be a problem.

Internal VDSL is preferable since I don't want to be spending extra when one box will suffice.

As for wireless I would like dual band since I think everybody else nearby is on 2.4 so that would cool, overall I just need it to be fast and rock solid stable and obviously gigabit.

Why do you want to replace the router? The suggestion above to add a cheap gigabit switch will resolve your issue.

No it won't, the HTPC downstairs is on WIFI as is the other halfs laptop (which to be fair I could use a cable when she is in the office where the router is). Connecting a gigabit switch to a 100Mbps router is not going to give me a full gigabit transfer rate.

We have been watching some shows on the HTPC (Kodi) tonight and after a while things got a little jerky so I really don't think the router is up to handling the traffic being put through it.

Currently I am looking at the TP Link VR900 but I don't really have much of a clue about these things (well duh!).

Stoner81.

Soldato
I suggested the free way to disable the wireless on the ISP supplied router, and then attach the router you was using previously to it from one LAN port to the other, then attached everything to that router so everything in your internal network can run as fast as it was able to before, meaning the ISP router is purely for the internet connection.

On the other hand the VR900 is probably one of the best VDSL modem/router all-in-one you can buy today.

Soldato
FWI Connecting a Gigabit switch to a Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) router would give you a full Gigabit transfer rate. You connect all of your devices to the switch instead of the router, and then have a single connection from the switch to the router. All of the LAN traffic will be Gigabit (devices allowing). The WAN traffic will be limited to 100Mbps but that isn't a problem as it's still faster than a FTTC WAN connection.

I'd agree that from what I've seen that TP-Link VR900 you're looking at is a decent option.

What was the previous router if you still have it?

Associate
OP
We are using the ISP supplied router :) It's some Thomson Technicolour TG588v v2 sack of garbage, it's the only one we have.

I get what you are saying about the switch but I have a device that must go through the WiFi (HTPC downstairs) since it's too far to run cabling and so would not be gigabit or even remotely close :)

Stoner81.

Last edited:
Soldato
There was an assumption that you'd have another router as that's what the thread you revived was related to.

Whatever you do with wireless it isn't going to be running at Gigabit speeds. That's going to be true whether you have an all in one Gigabit capable router or not.

It isn't too far to run a cable, it's just too far for you to go to the effort. :D

Associate
OP
We live in a rented property so we can't go drilling through walls etc in order to run cables.

Yeah I probably should have edited the first post really to save the confusion, my bad sorry.

Stoner81.

Associate
OP
Ordered the VR900 which arrived earlier this morning, all is up and running though the internet speed has dropped somewhat but I'm assuming it will sort itself out over time.

Thanks folks.

Stoner81.

Soldato
Ordered the VR900 which arrived earlier this morning, all is up and running though the internet speed has dropped somewhat but I'm assuming it will sort itself out over time.

Thanks folks.

Stoner81.

I have been using the VR900 on Fibre for the best part of a Month. It has been rock solid for Me so far :)
My speed was initially lower than the 76Meg I was quoted by my ISP (Was getting around 68Meg) but after fitting a new NTE5 and faceplate it is now around 72Meg so pretty happy with that.

Back
Top Bottom