'Best' GPS app for android?

Associate
Having said that, Route 66 have incorporated several features into the app that I've suggested to them, when sending customer feedback. Their customer service has been really good: on more than one occasion I've had their programmers get in touch and features added or bugs fixed very quickly (one one occasion they had a server-side fix for a traffic issue I spotted up and running within the day!). If it interests you, why not contact them and suggest it? I can certainly vouch for their customer services passing on suggestions to the developers.

They got back to me.....

At the moment the requested feature is not available in our application. We do not guarantee its implementation, but we can assure you that we do our best to meet as many of our users’ expectations as possible.

So please keep sharing with us any ideas or expectations you might have regarding ROUTE 66 Navigate. Please visit our website to stay up-to-date with our latest news, or special offers and product releases:

If you have the developers 'ears' it may be worth you (and others) also requesting Android Auto support. Google may have it locked down though so you can only use Google Maps?

Associate
I can't find sygic android auto compatibility? Are you sure it's not Mirror Link compatible for certain head units? I should install it and give it a try as I used to use it and still have a subscription I think!

Associate
My Dad is treating himself to this headunit. Am I right in thinking Here Maps is the best one to use for offline? I could get him to tether the headunit to his mobile for a signal but that seems a bit of a faff to keep doing.

Associate
My Dad is treating himself to this headunit. Am I right in thinking Here Maps is the best one to use for offline? I could get him to tether the headunit to his mobile for a signal but that seems a bit of a faff to keep doing.

Looks intersting. Not sure how anything called 'Pumpkin' can be taken seriously :D

Soldato
Perhaps one day Google will stick Waze's routing algorithm in Maps or Google Traffic in Waze? Until then - Tomtom and Route 66 remain the better commuting tools for avoiding traffic.

Just an update. Fairly sure that Google's traffic data has now been incorporated into Waze.

Traffic Jams only a few minutes old now far in excess of the number of Wazers in my area so the data must be coming from somewhere else. Waze now showing more traffic incidents than Tomtom / Route 66 (as does Google Maps). roadworks.org data also incorporated in Waze (so vast majority of roadworks pre-booked by local authorities). Right now, it seems to be the most comprehensive traffic info available in an app.

The data in Google maps is pretty damn good too but it often fails to 'see' potential diversions that are picked up by Route 66, Tomtom and Waze.

When Waze sends you 'off piste' it can get very gung-ho though. Sent me a very random route on back streets yesterday. At least it was clear. Waze TTS directions are fairly poor and too quiet compared to the other three.

I've started testing Waze while running Tomtom in the background for comparison. Provisionally, this may be the first time since 2012 where I've thought it may not be worth paying for Tomtom's traffic data if you're primiarlily interested in navigation apps for traffic avoidance.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I've tried HERE Maps, rubbish... its crashes on searches, the calculations of the route take forever and for some reason its loses the GPS signal quite often. Not to mention its not really clear which exit you need to take on the roundabout. :mad:

I'll try Navmii, I need something offline as I don't have unlimited data anymore. So time to say goodbye to waze :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom