**** Power Colour Devil HDX 7.1 Sound Card****

Associate
Got the card today and after some simples tests have to say impressed. Those that say Onboard is actually better than a soundcard need their heads checked!

Mr Rids, do you have any basic guides for setting up the Audio Software to get the best out the card for music and games (how to make sure the Surround effects are working mainly here)?

Soldato
One assumes this card is better than the Sound Blaster Z ?

Don't know myself but think it's at least as good from what I've read .

Side note, mine turned up today so cleaned the loop and changed the tubbing to some premo flex stuff. Ordered white by accident instead of clear but used it anyway.

@ElectroBlaster
Well I can confirm that linux see's the SC, shows all outputs/inputs but refuses to play sound. I'll look into it more over weekend.

After 1hr 1/2 downloading the 22 meg win7 driver :eek: I can say, wow what a difference to the onboard sound :D

Will mess about more over weekend.

I've put the win 7 driver up here

http://downloads.unrealnetworks.co.uk/HDX/HDXWIN7.zip

If someone want to send/upload the others to me I can host them too.

Man of Honour
One assumes this card is better than the Sound Blaster Z ?

Dunno about that but its a fairly serious bit of hardware - the Wolfson DAC is highly regarded, the output opamps are some of the best and while I'm not a great fan of C-Media its their latest and greatest audio processor (Not to mention the Nichicon caps are pretty decent).

As a side note TI is discontinuing the LM4562 in DIP form to normal customers (and don't think they are renewing contracts once they are up) so they might have to change the opamps on this unless they have a contract with TI or stockpile.

Associate
Don't know myself but think it's at least as good from what I've read .

Side note, mine turned up today so cleaned the loop and changed the tubbing to some premo flex stuff. Ordered white by accident instead of clear but used it anyway.

@ElectroBlaster
Well I can confirm that linux see's the SC, shows all outputs/inputs but refuses to play sound. I'll look into it more over weekend.

After 1hr 1/2 downloading the 22 meg win7 driver :eek: I can say, wow what a difference to the onboard sound :D

Will mess about more over weekend.

I've put the win 7 driver up here

http://downloads.unrealnetworks.co.uk/HDX/HDXWIN7.zip

If someone want to send/upload the others to me I can host them too.

I could send you the WIN10 drivers that are out at the moment - took me a day to get them as the download kept failing! Might save some other folk the pain. How can I get them to you?

Soldato
OK so I got myself this card and while I do like it on my headphones ( AKG K550s )...on my speakers ( Corsair SP2500 ) its a bit hissy and somewhat lacking in the bass.....would I be better off using some other speakers like a set of Edifier Studio R1600T of which I have in my cupboard ?

Also the connectors I have are red n white to green 3.5mm jacks....or red and white to red n white

thanx

Last edited:
Soldato
Line out is line out, it shouldn't make any difference what speakers you connect - are you sure it's all connected properly? I didn't get any hissing at all here.

Soldato
well i have my speakers via red n white in to the main board plus my headphones (sound is top notch ) ...so not using the daughter board even though its connected , im just finding the volume on films rather low ...and the sound over all is a bit on the treble side

OK so a small update here....it seems that after some playing around with the control pod that comes with the SP2500 Speakers the out put sound on them is much better ..in fact it's pretty ******* good :)

So all in all a very worth while £79 spent on this card

Last edited:
Associate
Well guys, I started getting some slight-but-noticeable distortion (stuttering / clicking noises when sound playing) with EQ enabled, even at 44.1KHz, so it seems the drivers are still not there yet. Strange thing is, I open DPC Latency Checker, the distortion disappears, close it again, the distortion reappears. So I said "sod it" (in my mind) and found this lovely piece of software: http://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

It does the trick of spicing up the boring neutral low frequencies of my Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro without the distortion, and you get a frig-load more tweakability than Xear EQ offers, including 15-band, 31-band or variable options, parametric filters, pre-amp, delay, etc.

Clipboard01.png

Associate
Anyone had a problem with this sound card failing to initialize after restarting the computer? Starts up normally every time with a cold boot, though. Doesn't seem likely to be fixed with drivers because it disappears from Device Manager altogether. Perhaps only a firmware update will fix it, or if it's a motherboard incompatibility, a BIOS update (which isn't going to happen with my Maximus Formula VI).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom