My Alienware 17 R3 has only a 4GB GTX980M but I ordered an 8GB GTX980M!

Associate
Just received my Alienware 17 R3 and to my disappointment GPUz and 3DMark advise the GTX980M has 4096MB of video memory when I specifically purchased an 8096MB GTX 980M.:eek:

I checked Dell Alienware site again and when you go to build your spec laptop, they are offering it with a 8GB GTX980M. Surely, this is misadvertising here in the UK??? :mad:

I specifically went with 8GB for future proofing as new games going ahead will demand more VRAM.

Anyone else found this??

Your comments would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Soldato
er , what did it say on your confirmation of your order ?

if it said 8, then contact them directly and get them to replace it

and/ or check properly it only has 4 before doing so

Associate
OP
er , what did it say on your confirmation of your order ?

if it said 8, then contact them directly and get them to replace it

and/ or check properly it only has 4 before doing so

Dell Order Acknowledgement states

- NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M with 8GB GDDR5 :(

These GPUs are now soldered in the Alienware 17 Rx as they are moving forward with the separate Graphics Amplifier for upgrading gfx.

Both GPUz and 3DMark states it is 4GB VRAM.

Soldato
What are using to determine the vram amount?
I only ask as I've noticed that some programs fail to notice my 980M has 8Gb of memory! (which definitely has). But Nvidia drivers recognise it :) Right click desktop, Nvidia control panel, system info bottom left.

If you only have four then complain to the shop.

Mick

Associate
Seems like Dell are making a habit of this! Been waiting 17 days for the custom built Alienware 17 R3 to arrive from China only to find that it only has 4Gb of vram!
It's a xmas present for my son so no chance of getting it replaced before xmas now!
Also when checking their site now it appears they don't even offer the 6820 cpu anymore!
What did Dell say when you contacted them Area512003?
Am tempted to wait until after xmas day so at least I can surprise him with it before having to get it sorted out!

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems like Dell are making a habit of this! Been waiting 17 days for the custom built Alienware 17 R3 to arrive from China only to find that it only has 4Gb of vram!
It's a xmas present for my son so no chance of getting it replaced before xmas now!
Also when checking their site now it appears they don't even offer the 6820 cpu anymore!
What did Dell say when you contacted them Area512003?
Am tempted to wait until after xmas day so at least I can surprise him with it before having to get it sorted out!

So your going to give it him on Xmas day and then say oh you can't really use it because im going to have to ship it off!

If indeed you only have 4gb vram then I would be screaming the phone down at Dell and getting one expedited!

Associate
Trouble is once I contact Dell I can see them requesting I send it back in which case I am unlikely to get either it back or a new one before xmas! Plus they don't even list the 6820 option anymore only the 6700 so they will probably downgrade the cpu if they replace it!
As it's not very obvious that the GPU only has 4GB I figure that I could wait until just after xmas to start complaining as it will still be in the 14 day window ;)

Associate
Spoke to Dell, they have taken my details and logged my problem but won't do anything yet as they are getting contacted by lots of people with the same problem. Apparently it is going to become a management issue and we will have to wait for their decision about how to proceed!

Associate
Spoke to Dell, they have taken my details and logged my problem but won't do anything yet as they are getting contacted by lots of people with the same problem. Apparently it is going to become a management issue and we will have to wait for their decision about how to proceed!

You don't have to wait for anything! You have bought a computer with 8gb. You have 4gb. You return it and get your money back. Why there is such a long thread for such a simple issue is beyond me!

Get an MSI GT72 like I have. Much better laptop anyway!

Soldato
You don't have to wait for anything! You have bought a computer with 8gb. You have 4gb. You return it and get your money back. Why there is such a long thread for such a simple issue is beyond me!

He could get a partial refund 4GB is plenty for a 980m at 1080p.

I would not say the GT72 is better. It's certainly not as well built as the Alienware.

Man of Honour

Are you confusing the fact there are 2 different users complaining about slightly different variations in circumstances of the same issue?

Associate
I phoned them today as they requested by email this morning, the lady said I could request a replacement but was likely to get another 4GB one. When I ordered it was a paid for option now their site lists 8GB by default for most systems.
They could have contacted us during the build to say they had a supply issue, but no, they just send the systems and keep quiet. This is FRAUD and breaks the sale of goods act, perhaps they were hoping we would not notice.
The lady today said basically they don't have a solution to the 8gb issue so I could either have a refund or keep it and have a little compensation! I asked why they were still advertising them and she said the techs were working on it! Thing is I have read that others have got the 8GB!
A few pounds compensation does not interest me when I have just spent almost £1800.
Am so tempted to contact Watchdog, trading standards & the computing press. Of course there is always legal action as well, especially for the fact that they did not disclose the lower specification to me.

Whats worse about this whole situation is that it is my sons xmas present and due to the cost his only xmas present.

Man of Honour
Unfortunately sometimes these things happen and without evidence of intention you won't get very far with any legal aspect aslong as they've offered to replace the item or compensate you.

Would not surprise me if they were hoping people just wouldn't notice though.

Back
Top Bottom