• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6700k high voltage

Soldato
Experiment with LLC to get your voltages to where you want them. If your LLC is too high, a side effect of it combatting vdroop is allowing volts to spike wildly. Try setting it lower, manually.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's on auto currently I'm new to Intel coming from 8350

Mine has 8 levels instead on high low etc like and I guess 8 being extreme?

Also have a coil whine noise coming from cpu socket area any ideas can't find much on the google

I know the cpu doesn't have coils but it's that noise

Some say pay but I have a gold rated 1000w new build so don't think it's that definitely sounds like cpu socket area

Soldato
1.4v is high but still below what Intel officially recommends. I run my 6600k at 1.42v and have no regrets (yet).

Associate
OP
Thanks for advice chaps running 4.5ghz now on adaptive voltage and it's all stable llc did the trick appreciate the help with my new Intel adventure

And the board hasn't made noise since I have the voltage under control but if the whine returns will rma the board

Thank again

Soldato
My 6700k at 4.7ghz runs at 1.38v under most loads, but can go to 1.4v occasionally. Ive never had any problems, although my temps do over 80c during the summer.

Associate
1.4v is high but still below what Intel officially recommends. I run my 6600k at 1.42v and have no regrets (yet).

:D ROFLMAO.

Intel recommends staying within 10% of the VID, in other words, do not exceed 1.3V.

Please don't put out dangerous and misleading information. You aren't helping anybody. You have no regrets yet because Skylake has not been out long enough for you to have regrets. When your chip starts degrading in a couple of years you just might have them.

So many people don't read OC guides or read crappy ones and they don't understand how to overclock post-ivybridge machines properly. There are so many things you have to tweak outside of Vcore and frequency it's just not funny. I seriously doubt that anybody on any kind of reasonable on-air overclock needs anything over the 1.3V ballpark, and if they do, they shouldn't do it unless they are experts with very good cooling.

OP- make sure your voltage is set to MANUAL, not offset or adaptive, if you want to dial in your voltage directly. However offset is a better way to go and if you can get adaptive to work properly it is ideal.

You should also play around with LLC (load line calibration) in order to get voltage under load as close as possible to voltage in bios.

Also you want to avoid vdroop/vdrop as much as possible. LLC does this.

Don't run your chip at 1.4V unless you are able to keep it very cool. Not a good idea. On Sandybridge you could kind of get away with it but not anymore.

By the way capacitors do not whine. Coils whine. Coils are inside chokes.

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
OP
:D ROFLMAO.

Intel recommends staying within 10% of the VID, in other words, do not exceed 1.3V.

Please don't put out dangerous and misleading information. You aren't helping anybody. You have no regrets yet because Skylake has not been out long enough for you to have regrets. When your chip starts degrading in a couple of years you just might have them.

So many people don't read OC guides or read crappy ones and they don't understand how to overclock post-ivybridge machines properly. There are so many things you have to tweak outside of Vcore and frequency it's just not funny. I seriously doubt that anybody on any kind of reasonable on-air overclock needs anything over the 1.3V ballpark, and if they do, they shouldn't do it unless they are experts with very good cooling.

OP- make sure your voltage is set to MANUAL, not offset or adaptive, if you want to dial in your voltage directly. However offset is a better way to go and if you can get adaptive to work properly it is ideal.

You should also play around with LLC (load line calibration) in order to get voltage under load as close as possible to voltage in bios.

Also you want to avoid vdroop/vdrop as much as possible. LLC does this.

Don't run your chip at 1.4V unless you are able to keep it very cool. Not a good idea. On Sandybridge you could kind of get away with it but not anymore.

By the way capacitors do not whine. Coils whine. Coils are inside chokes.

thanks for advice im new to intel its all abit different to amd but im @ 1.26v 4.5ghz running prolonged stress test now but all good on adaptive voltage and is almost identical to bios setting

the coil whine seems to have stopped at the mo, but if it returns will rma board

thanks again

Associate
OP
1.4 is fine!! Use the system have fun!!

thanks 8pack

i cant stop tinkering i have more fun with that than gaming lol

but have 4.6GHz @ 1.3v adaptive and she flies compared to 8350

and i have a gem with my kfa2 gtx 1080 boosts to 1900mhz under stess test, thought boost was only 1733mhz for founders?

anyways very happy i made the jump to intel/nvidia cheers again guys

oh and heres my finished system if anyones wish to have a look (dont judge my poor petg bending im redoing a couple)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom