• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Predicted Skylake price drops?

Associate
If you take a look at the second hand price on a well known auction site for Z97 mobo's and i74790k's
I would say that waiting for a price drop on any intel cpu is wishful thinking.
You may save 10 or 20 quid but is that really worth waiting for

Soldato
I feel like the overriding lesson from this thread is "always buy the most expensive thing you can afford right now, because upgrading later won't be any cheaper"...

Not sure how I feel about that, but at least the next time I do upgrade, I'll get an i7 so's not to be stuck in the cycle of regret :p

Associate
I feel like the overriding lesson from this thread is "always buy the most expensive thing you can afford right now, because upgrading later won't be any cheaper"...

Not sure how I feel about that, but at least the next time I do upgrade, I'll get an i7 so's not to be stuck in the cycle of regret :p

Well no, not at all. This has only been true with Intel CPUs in the last ~5 years.

Pretty much everything else has continued to get better/cheaper over time, so waiting would have been worth it.

And now AMD are about to launch Zen CPUs, hopefully competition will be back in the CPU space, and EVERYTHING will once again get significantly better/cheaper over time.

Soldato
AMD can't do anything in the CPU market to force down Intel prices. We have more chance of Intel increasing prices further.

Associate
Ive had been watching and hoping the price of the 4790k would drop but its still stayed level with the 6700k so nope... I dont see any price drops coming..

if for some mad reason the 4790k was to drop to half price I might snap one up to see if it would overclock better than my 4770k but right now im happy with what Ive got

Soldato
They are dropping slowly. When I was looking the 6700K was holding around £360 and if you look around you can get some great deals on the 4790k now.

Soldato
Intel is competing with themselves at the moment. Very little has progressed in 5 years so people are buying older, cheaper CPUs rather than the latest ones.

If you shop around you can find 6700ks as low as £275 at the moment. I got mine for £270 on another site but that was a while ago.

Associate
They are dropping slowly. When I was looking the 6700K was holding around £360 and if you look around you can get some great deals on the 4790k now.

at times I wish I held out for a 4790k but I got the 4770k at a cracking price.

I will be building another 1150 system soon as ive got an i5 4590 sitting and have a board coming. This will replace my lads FX8350 system so through time I can keep my eyes open for a 4790k

Back
Top Bottom