Kubuntu?

Soldato
I'd like to have a play with dual booting Linux and maybe using that as my main OS at home & only booting in to Windows for gaming/whatever. Don't know if I'll stick to it, but I've always wanted to see how I get on with it day to day.

I quite like Ubuntu and have worked with it a fair bit at work (servers, etc.), but HATE the standard desktop interface.

What's Kubuntu like? Is it a good alternative? Or are there better options?

Thanks.

Soldato
Try it in a VM first rather than dual booting as there's less hassle that way. Kubuntu is simple Ubuntu running the KDE desktop. The underlying system is the same. You should also try out the Cinammon version of Mint and see how you get on. I'd suggest you play about with a few distros and see what takes your fancy hence my recommendation you go down the VM route.

Associate
I do love KDE but can't use it, slow and buggy.
i think it's too big for the developers to cope with, back on ubuntu mate.

will try it again for 17.04

Soldato
OP
Too many choices :p

I'd definitely like an Ubuntu core as I've been using Ubuntu since it was released, particularly the server environment. I was playing with KDE last night, but it kept crashing... not sure if that was just Hyper-V or what (installing VMWare Workstation now as it's simply better for Linux stuff). Neon sounds good as well, hopefully a more stable version of Xubuntu (basically).

Soldato
OP
Quite liking mint at the moment in a VM. I found anything KDE is slow when compared to Windows or Mint. It's a shame as I really like the Neon Distro, but it just felt really slow.

But then that's the problem with trying this stuff in a VM. Neon simply might not like being in a VM, or maybe the VMWare drivers didn't work properly.

Edit: well, that's a shame. Got Mint installed on my 2nd SSD, all running nicely (dual boot), install GTX970 drivers & now I find out that the Soundblaster Z card basically won't work at all, so no audio :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom