Network Question

Associate
OP
Yep as others have said it is a simple case of plugging the wan port into the socket and letting it get a DHCP from the buildings network.

It is 99% certain you will get a private wan IP address rather than a public one so yes anything requiring NAT will be a problem.

Also as someone else has said I have never seen a router that cannot be set to dhcp on its wan port and I have used well over 50 different models.

I'm hoping its as simple as this and not a nightmare issue haha.

Soldato
Unless your routef can configue its WAN port as a LAN port then it wont work. You will need to connect the wall ethernet port to one of the routers LAN ports.

WTF? Please don't confuse this thread an further.

He needs to connect the router WAN port top the provided Ethernet port in the apartment. He'll then have his own private network with his own subnet. Odds are he won't even have to configure anything beyond the wireless settings.

Connecting a LAN port will just give him a network switch and access point running on the apartment's subnet. Not an ideal situation for various reasons.

Until the OP actually moves in there isn't much else to say.

Associate
OP
Just did some research on the router that I was planning to use (an old Sky one) and it doesn't have a WAN port, I thought it did but I was wrong. So I need to find a new one and with a bit of luck going to try and snag a BT HH.

Soldato
Technically speaking the Sky router does have a WAN port but it doesn't have an ethernet WAN port which is what you need.

An older BT HH would probably work as they have an ethernet WAN port (as well as a VDSL WAN port) but there's much better routers available. Look for what is marketed as a Cable router that's meant for Virgin Media or similar. The new BT Smart Hub won't work as as it doesn't have an ethernet WAN port.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Technically speaking the Sky router does have a WAN port but it doesn't have an ethernet WAN port which is what you need.

An older BT HH would probably work as they have an ethernet WAN port (as well as a VDSL WAN port) but there's much better routers available. Look for what is marketed as a Cable router that's meant for Virgin Media or similar. The new BT Smart Hub won't work as as it doesn't have an ethernet WAN port.

Yeah it was disappointing to find out but I'm glad I researched more into my router now before it was too late (even though I should have done that sooner) I was tempted to pick up one of the HH5b routers but as you can't hide your SSID I opted to pass. The other router I've been looking at, albeit quite pricey is the TP-Link C9 AC1900 which seemed pretty decent for its price range.

Soldato
I don't think he BT hub can do anything other than PPPoE if it even has an rj45 wan port (thought they were rj11 on DSL.

What functions do you want from the router as I'm sure you don't have to spend the Earth on one.

Associate
OP
I don't think he BT hub can do anything other than PPPoE if it even has an rj45 wan port (thought they were rj11 on DSL.

What functions do you want from the router as I'm sure you don't have to spend the Earth on one.

Basically just something that has a WAN port, decent security features, allowing the user to hide the broadcasting of SSID and something that isn't too outdated.

Something like the HH5b would have been suitable if it had the option to disable the broadcast of SSID.

Edit: Sounds like I'm asking for too much.

Associate
OP
There really is no point hiding the SSID. It won't make your network any more secure and will make using the network more awkward for yourself.

Its more for personal reasons as I'm not sure whether you're meant to hook up your own router in the apartments.

Soldato
Possibly student accommodation? I can't think of any other situation where you can't basically do what you want (assuming you don't break something).

Whatever it is you read the T&Cs of the tenancy and make a judgement.

If they really care about what you doing hiding the SSID will make no significant difference to them knowing what you've added to their network.

Soldato
Basically just something that has a WAN port, decent security features, allowing the user to hide the broadcasting of SSID and something that isn't too outdated.

Something like the HH5b would have been suitable if it had the option to disable the broadcast of SSID.

Edit: Sounds like I'm asking for too much.

You are confusing a DSL WAN port with an ethernet WAN port though (i think).

Associate
OP
This not a service like hyperoptic where the fibre has already been provisioned into the property?, hence the ethernet socket?

No, its a Dutch company.

Possibly student accommodation? I can't think of any other situation where you can't basically do what you want (assuming you don't break something).

Whatever it is you read the T&Cs of the tenancy and make a judgement.

If they really care about what you doing hiding the SSID will make no significant difference to them knowing what you've added to their network.

Technically yes, although its not organised by the University but the accommodation is for post grad students off campus.

There's no mention of in in the tenancy agreement but having the SSID hidden means no one can see your broadcast signal (unless their knowledge of networking is good).

You are confusing a DSL WAN port with an ethernet WAN port though (i think).

I thought the extra slot on the rear of a hub which states WAN was a Ethernet WAN port?

Associate
OP
The HH4 and HH5 have two WAN ports. One is the DSL/VDSL connection for a phone line. The other is Ethernet.

I think they've dropped the Ethernet WAN on the very latest model.

Yeah its unfortunate about the newest model, seems like some good improvements over the hh5b :(

Back
Top Bottom