With Sky broadband. Will changing router improve speed?

My friend has adsl internet with sky. He is in the middle of no where so it's rubbish. 1.5 meg at best.

He's seen on YouTube videos that changing the modem/router can improve speed as sky might throttle it. I'm not sold.

The sky router is model number SR102

He bought a netgear router/modem model number D7000

I'm not sure how changing the router will improve the speed. We aren't talking wireless, but wired speed.

I'm not sure this will have any affect. If enough think it will improve speeds, is this an easy tasks. Google and YouTube suggests we need to flash the new router , get details from sky that the new router will need etc but these videos are many years old. This still the case or is it easier now to do.

Soldato
The modems in ADSL routers do vary to some extent so you may see a difference (not necessarily an improvement).

What speed is the line supposed to support?

Soldato
YouTube are probably referring to WiFi speed, not ADSL speed. If the line is long and 1.5mb is all that is achieved then even the best modem will not make it much better. I would recommend looking at the line characteristics as reported by the router though, sometimes the line is capable of more, just is being held back by a line fault or something.

Associate
Might improve a little, might even be worst, but it won't be anything substantial.

I'd instead do things like replace the master socket face plate to one that terminates the ADSL signal at the socket and plug the modem in there if it isn't already. That will remove any possible noise interference that will degrade the signal further. Maybe do a test and disconnect any phone extension from the master socket and see if anything improves.

Caporegime
Log on to the router, http://192.168.0.1 and go to maintenance. Username admin and Password sky (both lower case) and there's a 'show statistics' button.

Even with a replacement router I'd be shocked if he gets an increase as Sky will have put a cap on the line, usually just below the max attainable of the line.

Back
Top Bottom