Choppy and slow 4k playback on a decent machine

Associate
Hi there, for some reason 4k playback on my computer is choppy and slow and therefore unwatchable.

I tried it with various media players and got the same result every time.

No idea what to do, anyone know a fix for this please?

Associate
OP
Bandwidth? I'm playing a file from my SSD.

I'm testing my 4k monitor and downloading samples. The sample I've downloaded is 62 seconds long, 2706kbps bit rate and is 400mb in size.

Associate
Bandwidth? I'm playing a file from my SSD.

I'm testing my 4k monitor and downloading samples. The sample I've downloaded is 62 seconds long, 2706kbps bit rate and is 400mb in size.

Have you tried mediaplayerclassic? I find VLC and other media players do weird stuttering from time to time but MPC always works.

Associate
OP
Ok so I downloaded the latest codecs and that's fixed the problem, although VLC is still choppy but MPC plays it just fine.

Thanks for the help guys!

Associate
Ok so I downloaded the latest codecs and that's fixed the problem, although VLC is still choppy but MPC plays it just fine.

Thanks for the help guys!

Did you see that the test footage actually states:

*NOTE* This file is encoded using x265 and will require a player such as MPC-BE to play them, It will not work in VLC.

EDIT: Works flawlessly on my machine with maybe 20% CPU usage and 10% GPU using MPC and no extra codecs.

Associate
OP
Nope I did not see that, my mistake!

At least I know there is nothing wrong with my PC. I will watch out for the notes on files.

Cheers everyone

Back
Top Bottom