Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 Owners Thread.

Soldato
Morning All,

I've had some issues today on a relatively new build, which I'm hoping someone can help with.

I was using the PC, as normal (playing overwatch, pretending to do work), then suddenly the PC crashed. Since then, I have't been able to boot.

I've gone through the normal component elimination process with no luck, it was just hanging and wouldn't POST (no splash screen, no detection from my monitor). The Error code related to Devices.

Eventually, I cleared CMOS and I got a little further, with the Mobo now hanging on Error Code 6F. Has anyone experienced this before?

Again, I've tried everything, RAM out (1 module at a time & different slots), all sata devices unplugged (1 SSD, 1 HDD, 1 CD Drive), GPU out completely - all with 0 impact, I'm still stuck on 6F.

I've even tried using the Dual bios switch, again - no difference.

My PC Spec is below in my signature and I'll also confirm it here. Please note, I've never upgraded the bios since I purchased (so assume stock) and I haven't overclocked the CPU (no need), though the RAM was set at OC 2666.

Any help is grealty appreciated!

6700K @ Stock (not re-seated as I have the Archon cooler, that thing isn't moving)
Corsair Vengeance DDR 16GB @ 2666 (rated to this level - CMK16GX4M2A2666C16)
Z170X Gaming 7 Motherboard

Is this a RAM issue?

Many Thanks

Soldato
Morning All,

I've had some issues today on a relatively new build, which I'm hoping someone can help with.

I was using the PC, as normal (playing overwatch, pretending to do work), then suddenly the PC crashed. Since then, I have't been able to boot.

I've gone through the normal component elimination process with no luck, it was just hanging and wouldn't POST (no splash screen, no detection from my monitor). The Error code related to Devices.

Eventually, I cleared CMOS and I got a little further, with the Mobo now hanging on Error Code 6F. Has anyone experienced this before?

Again, I've tried everything, RAM out (1 module at a time & different slots), all sata devices unplugged (1 SSD, 1 HDD, 1 CD Drive), GPU out completely - all with 0 impact, I'm still stuck on 6F.

I've even tried using the Dual bios switch, again - no difference.

My PC Spec is below in my signature and I'll also confirm it here. Please note, I've never upgraded the bios since I purchased (so assume stock) and I haven't overclocked the CPU (no need), though the RAM was set at OC 2666.

Any help is grealty appreciated!

6700K @ Stock (not re-seated as I have the Archon cooler, that thing isn't moving)
Corsair Vengeance DDR 16GB @ 2666 (rated to this level - CMK16GX4M2A2666C16)
Z170X Gaming 7 Motherboard

Is this a RAM issue?

Many Thanks

Hmmm strange one. Can you get in the bios at all. Easy elimination would be to get your hands on some new memory and try that.

Remove the gcard out the system

Next step would be to reseat the CPU, I know that sounds like ball ache but the final step after that would be a mobo RMA so it would need to come out anyway.

Associate
So after looking at the replies here questioning the "widespread RAM issue" statement I made, I agreed that there should be more noise about it if that was the case. So I kept my Rev 1.0 Z170x Gaming 7 and completed my build.

Of course, I too now have the infamous "Error 55" RAM/memory issue.

There's a huge amount of noise elsewhere on the net about this flaw on this specific mobo but, regardless, I am where I am.

I'm using G.Skill 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz - specifically F4-2400C15D-16GVR. These are listed on the QVL for this board, which is why I bought them.

First 50-60 hours of runtime had both 8GB sticks working perfectly at 2133MHz (so 16GB @ 2133MHz - perfect). I did not change anything in the BIOS, haven't even opened my case. Just a couple of days ago, only one stick is working.

I got a replacement set of the same RAM (new from Amazon) and neither of those sticks work either.

So, to those of you who have overcome this error 55 issue, how did you achieve it? RMA motherboard?

Can I be in the club, I don't have a gaming 7 but instead have a GA-Z170X- GAMING G1.

Also I am using the G-skill trident z modules and they are great no issues. The only thing is I had to set the voltage manually for the memory to work.

RAM says 1.2V and that's what the BIOS is showing as VDRAM (although the setting is set to "Auto" still). Did you manually enter 1.200V?

I had the issue for a client build, Disabled Dual Bios and never had problems :) with the 1.0 version

This fixed error 55?!

---

Edit: I should explain the other things I've also tried:

1. Enabling XMP (which it correctly detects for my one working stick)
2. Disabling Memory Fast Boot
3. Manually setting memory freq. to 2400MHz
4. All different combinations of the above with all different combos of RAM sticks

Last edited:
Associate
Is that memory on the supported list and have you flashed the BIOS to the latest ?

Thanks for the response.

That RAM is on the supported list: F4-2400C15D-16GVR.

It should have course work at a negotiated 2133MHz by default. Again, one specific RAM module works in every DIMM slot, but the other three modules don't work at all in any slot.

I'm on F7 and have not flashed F8 as the notes I saw only mentioned improved XMP compatibility. XMP already works for my one working stick.

Since posting I've now also tried:

- Clearing CMOS
- Loading 'optimised defaults'
- Very slightly increasing VDRAM voltage

Is flashing to F8 really likely to fix this?

Soldato
Thanks for the response.

That RAM is on the supported list: F4-2400C15D-16GVR.

It should have course work at a negotiated 2133MHz by default. Again, one specific RAM module works in every DIMM slot, but the other three modules don't work at all in any slot.

I'm on F7 and have not flashed F8 as the notes I saw only mentioned improved XMP compatibility. XMP already works for my one working stick.

Since posting I've now also tried:

- Clearing CMOS
- Loading 'optimised defaults'
- Very slightly increasing VDRAM voltage

Is flashing to F8 really likely to fix this?

well i would 100% flash to the latest - what do you have to lose?

Associate
well i would 100% flash to the latest - what do you have to lose?

Is there an easy way to boot into the backup BIOS on this board if I need to roll back?

At least I can boot with this one stick right now...if I update and that changes, then I really am SOL.

Associate
To anyone else suffering error 55 issues - 16GB (2x8) of Corsair Vengeance LPX 2133MHz fixed it for me. It's also recommended elsewhere as a go-to for Z170 boards.

Ironically it's not on the QVL, whereas my original G.Skill was. Ignore that outdated doc.

Back
Top Bottom