Lloyds Bank to axe hundreds of jobs / and now RBS

Soldato
OP
because a claim was made that with enough data nothing is unpredictable :confused:

what relevance is google maps here?

If you asked a computer to predict if your marriage would last for another 30 years, could it?

Let's say in 100 years time a computer could read your brain waves, analyze your entire life in miliseconds and use all that data, could it in theory accurately predict the answer?

I mean I guess it would also have to do the same to your wife, and possibly everyone you've ever met.....or will meet (lets just say everyone on the planet)...assume it can

Think of it in terms of data analysis, enough data in and it could in theory do anything

Last edited:
Caporegime
Dont feign confusion, we all know that we are talking about car auto navigation, not quantum mechanics or 'everything'

I'm not... I'm just disputing the idea that with sufficient data and computing power 'everything' is predictable, we're not living in a clockwork universe and this has been apparent for some time

I've not disputed the idea of driverless cars at all nor the idea that they're very safe, if that was your impression then hopefully that is cleared up

Soldato
OP
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36376966

Just wondering if those people who still think the lost jobs will be replaced by ones in the tech industry, can explain where the 60,000 new openings will be based.

Experts seem to disagree - Economists have issued dire warnings about how automation will affect the job market, with one report, from consultants Deloitte in partnership with Oxford University, suggesting that 35% of jobs were at risk over the next 20 years.

Thanks.

Permabanned
My Barclays branch (a main branch) has done away with foreign desk and all the cashiers have been replaced by super terminals. There are to desks for help/business. Still have queues as the super terminals confuse people or fail to accept cheques.

A small branch in the area has been closed down but another busy small one has continued with two cashiers.

The question one has to ask is whether the thousands that who have lost there jobs will ever get another. I guess we'll never see any statistics on that.

Yep where I'm from has also done the same. Less staff more robots.

Caporegime
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36376966

Just wondering if those people who still think the lost jobs will be replaced by ones in the tech industry, can explain where the 60,000 new openings will be based.

Experts seem to disagree - Economists have issued dire warnings about how automation will affect the job market, with one report, from consultants Deloitte in partnership with Oxford University, suggesting that 35% of jobs were at risk over the next 20 years.

Thanks.

you're talking about China?

they've had an unemployment rate of about 4% for years, you've picked an individual factory/company and pointed at some job losses but selected individual cases aren't necessarily going to be particularly informative

Untitled.png

Some undeveloped countries with high birth rates could well get shafted a bit as technology improves, I'm not sure the same is going to be true of the West or emerging economies.

Soldato
There were always going to be deaths in automated cars, the point is if the death rate is significantly lower than when humans are in control, then it's still safer.

Caporegime
If you asked a computer to predict if your marriage would last for another 30 years, could it?

Let's say in 100 years time a computer could read your brain waves, analyze your entire life in miliseconds and use all that data, could it in theory accurately predict the answer?

I mean I guess it would also have to do the same to your wife, and possibly everyone you've ever met.....or will meet (lets just say everyone on the planet)...assume it can

Think of it in terms of data analysis, enough data in and it could in theory do anything

Think of it this way in order to store all the data and proxess it you would need an incredibky large machine.

Ie to simulate the whole world accurately down to each atom youd need a computer that consisted of more atoms than the world

Soldato
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36680043

Looks like there may have been the first fatal accident involving self-driving technology :( Tesla's Autopilot feature is understood to have failed to recognise "the white side of the tractor trailer against a brightly lit sky".

Just like people do sometimes.

The one that always gets me are...

Motorcyclists wearing "Razzle dazzle" camouflage riding "Razzle dazzle" camouflaged bikes.

(Less is more chaps! see also all over bright yellow Day-glo outfits!)

Also, probably my nearest SMIDSY

Some guy riding out of the Sun one afternoon with his headlight on. Which basically filled up his silhouette with bright light rendering him invisible!

My only clue was that the Sun flickered momentarrily! :eek:

(Defensive driving hint for the day. If you see your own shadow stretching out ahead of you. people in front of you wont be able to see you coming!)

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36680043

Looks like there may have been the first fatal accident involving self-driving technology :( Tesla's Autopilot feature is understood to have failed to recognise "the white side of the tractor trailer against a brightly lit sky".

Reading that article, it doesn't appear that the car directly caused the accident. It appears that the car was cut up by the tractor and the car failed to react (as it had done previously according to the article). So the tractor cutting up the car caused the accident. It's debatable whether a human driver would have reacted sufficiently to prevent the accident either - this is what the investigation has been called to assess.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
My Barclays branch (a main branch) has done away with foreign desk and all the cashiers have been replaced by super terminals. There are to desks for help/business. Still have queues as the super terminals confuse people or fail to accept cheques.

A small branch in the area has been closed down but another busy small one has continued with two cashiers.

The question one has to ask is whether the thousands that who have lost there jobs will ever get another. I guess we'll never see any statistics on that.

Well people will do history and english degrees at university......

Soldato
OP
and another sector

http://news.sky.com/story/amazon-uk...step-forward-as-trademark-registered-10688868

There was an article on sky news last night which pretty much confirmed this is a future crisis nobody is thinking about

Someone in government has had the idea of a universal credit scheme which would replace welfare and give everyone a certain amount of money to live on. The extra comes from if the individual chooses to work. However, this is one individual talking to a brick wall.

"Amazon has given a clear hint that it intends to expand its cashier-free grocery store into the UK, as the threat to jobs from technology gathers pace."

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Technology moves at a rapid pace, becomes faster, cheaper, easier to manage and implement, more reliable. In the short term yes, long term?

I assume you don't work in IT?

Project management is one of the highest growth job roles due to the complexity of delivering IT systems nowadays.

Soldato
Just more proof that simple jobs are going to be moved to automation.

A lot has changed since this thread started in April and with talks of Universal Basic Income, it's starting to look like this is going to become a reality. Though how it will be funded and received by the general public, I don't know.

Caporegime
Just more proof that simple jobs are going to be moved to automation.

A lot has changed since this thread started in April and with talks of Universal Basic Income, it's starting to look like this is going to become a reality. Though how it will be funded and received by the general public, I don't know.

They really arent though.

Replacing simple jobs is firstly ludicrously difficult and secondly insanely expensive when you have a cheap (and usualy more capable) human alternative.

Automation hits the more expensive technical jobs.

Caporegime
Just like people do sometimes.

The one that always gets me are...

Motorcyclists wearing "Razzle dazzle" camouflage riding "Razzle dazzle" camouflaged bikes.

(Less is more chaps! see also all over bright yellow Day-glo outfits!)

Also, probably my nearest SMIDSY

Some guy riding out of the Sun one afternoon with his headlight on. Which basically filled up his silhouette with bright light rendering him invisible!

My only clue was that the Sun flickered momentarrily! :eek:

(Defensive driving hint for the day. If you see your own shadow stretching out ahead of you. people in front of you wont be able to see you coming!)

You csnt turn motorcycle headlights off these days

Soldato
They really arent though.

Replacing simple jobs is firstly ludicrously difficult and secondly insanely expensive when you have a cheap (and usualy more capable) human alternative.

Automation hits the more expensive technical jobs.

It's difficult and expensive NOW, but it won't be in the future.

There will always be jobs for Humans as I agree that some jobs are better suited to us Humans but there aren't going to be enough jobs for every Tom, Dick & Harry.

We need to shift our focus on how we're going to manage the 'unemployed' as the numbers will continue to grow. It's not going to grow very much for the next 20 years or so but it will come and we need to be prepared for that.

Soldato
I assume you don't work in IT?

Project management is one of the highest growth job roles due to the complexity of delivering IT systems nowadays.

I think he meant the management of the tech rather than the management of its implementation.

I doubt you can argue that a self service checkout which never needs time off sick, never needs holiday, doesn't require flexibility, doesn't need breaks, doesn't have restrictions on how many hours a week it can work and won't sue you if you get rid of it one day is not easier to manage than an employee...

Back
Top Bottom