Angela Merkel and her decisions

Caporegime
Is that a cultural thing though?

I question it because there are many tribes around the world that still wear native dress (usually in warm areas) that cover their male and woman bits, but not breasts of either sex.

Just as we (western people) find covering faces odd, people in those tribes find covering upper bodies odd.

I can only assume but I'd guess at it being societies where women are more seen as child bearers and sex is largely for procreation rather than pleasure due to subsistence living.

Caporegime
I can only assume but I'd guess at it being societies where women are more seen as child bearers and sex is largely for procreation rather than pleasure due to subsistence living.

I doubt it's any more so than the UK before the pill and the liberation that provided.

What I'm trying to get at is that what is deemed sexual and modest/immodest is as much cultural as anything else. We can't really complain about one culture forcing women to cover their face while not acknowledging that we are also doing something similar with women in our culture (in this case nipples).

Personally I'd go for both men and women being free to cover/uncover whatever they like as long as it's hygienic (no naked bums on public transport for example :p), but I'd live with equality of sexes as to what people are and aren't allowed to uncover (so on a warm day women should be allowed - and not propositioned more than men - to show their nipples if they so please) anywhere a man can, in much the same way I think a woman should be able to show their face if they so please.*

*But to continue with the actual thread topic - not show it if they don't want to.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well... any robber or terrorisy is going to disguise themselves in some way of form so it might as well have been any other disguise. If someone is carrying a firearm under a full Islamic outfit then they could equally be wearing a bike helmet and have a rucksack with said gun in it *shrug*.

Surely the actual point is that people who could be concealing weapons are searched appropriately for them - and are then permitted to wear as they please. Wear what you want, but expect to be checked if wearing potentially weapon concealing clothing. Seems fair.

Well the toerror suspect used his sisters pasport iirc to leave the country.

Csnt do that in a bike helmet.

And another used it to escape via a mosque again probbsly not gonna work with a bike helmet

Man of Honour
Well... any robber or terrorisy is going to disguise themselves in some way of form so it might as well have been any other disguise. If someone is carrying a firearm under a full Islamic outfit then they could equally be wearing a bike helmet and have a rucksack with said gun in it *shrug*. [..]

That would be true if it was acceptable to walk around wearing a bike helmet with the visor down and opaque from the outside and forbidden to make someone take it off.

But that's not the case so your comparison isn't valid. There is no outfit anywhere near as well suited to concealing yourself and items without attracting strong suspicion and being required to remove it.

Soldato
Well the toerror suspect used his sisters pasport iirc to leave the country.

Csnt do that in a bike helmet.

And another used it to escape via a mosque again probbsly not gonna work with a bike helmet

Surely if the security forces fail to remove Vail's in airports and/or check passport's, all sorts of criminals would've caught on to that by now? Do you have more details of this?

Caporegime
Soldato
That's already happening as I have already mentioned.
Is it, though... or are we going all lefty-liberal and making exceptions to been seen as accepting other cultures, again?

It's unlikely you're going to change the mind of someone that has worn a veil for 30 years before moving to the UK/Germany, or someone that comes for a few weeks on holiday
Who cares if their mind is changed or not?
If it's not the done thing, it's not the done thing and as an outsider coming into another community it's up to you to either adopt their ways (which is supposedly the point of moving in) or look elsewhere.
If this means you cannot force your womenfolk to do something any more, then that's how it is...

but society and schooling in general means those born in the UK will rarely end up wearing a veil, even if their mother does.
It ought to, but the more we strive to be "accepting" of other cultures, the less this will change.

So where are all the threads on here about those religions?;)
Oh, does it have to be on here, then?

You know full well that islam is taking the brunt of the dislike on this forum and in this country.
And you know full well that some other religions are hated just as much.
But even if we stick with just Islam, why are people seeking to outright ban just this one aspect of it, rather than several others?

Do you have any evidence that the majority of people in the UK are being forced to wear them? That'll be a no I assume
I have no links to official government websites that provide definitive 100% guaranteed proof, no.... and I assume you'll accept nothing less?

Other than that, Muslim friends, some actual Muslim women I've spoken to and worked with who explained why they dress like Ninjas, some Muslim men who explained why they (or those in the culture they ran away from) made their women dress like Ninjas, BBC documentaries, various Rights Campaign websites and charities, all the usual anecdotal and thus completely dismissable evidence. Make of that whatever you want...

Most women are no more "forced" to wear a veil than Sihk men are "forced" to wear a turban (or for that matter a christian wearing a cross).
Oh. Right. I didn't know that. Excuse me while I go accuse all the above of lying....

I will concede some are forced to (as I have already mentioned), but those cases should be dealt with on a case by case basis, not by banning an item of clothing.
What a great way of thinking... what sound, logical reasoning... I wonder if that works elsewhere?
Let's see: "Not every handgun owner is a murderous psychopath, soooooo rather than banning handgun ownership.... "?
No?

I have no idea what you are talking about here, but I'll just say that if you want to wear a veil then no one is stopping you, It's not illegal after all.
But I still cannot FORCE anyone to wear one, because it infringes on the human rights this country affords them.

See the point above. This is just a repeat of the other comments. You're replacing one possible form or oppression and repression with another.
What, so by making someone follow the laws of this country, I am oppressing them?
If they have a problem with that, they can get lost, then. No different than if the situation were reversed...

Deal with the issue by dealing with those that force their women to wear a veil against their will, not force all women that want to wear a veil not to.
So a woman being forced to wear a veil... and you don't think she could be similarly forced to lie when asked if she's wearing it voluntarily?
That same line of thinking is what keeps abuse victims quiet when their abuser says "Don't tell anyone about this"...

That is hurting people, which is the prime reason I am AGAINST banning veils.
It's nowhere near ideal but at the very least, if you do ban the veil then you can't force a woman to wear one...

Luckily there are already laws in place to cover this.
Those laws still don't stop Imams from publicly endorsing and encouraging it... In fact, I don't think they even punish them for it, either.

In a minority of countries this happens, but we are not in those countries.
Honour-Killings also happen in a minority of countries, but we're not in them, either.... But guess what?

Ironically you're proposing that the wearing of these items is enforced by either violence (forced removal of the veil if worn), monetary penalties (fines) or imprisonment be implemented in the UK/Germany.
Actually I don't believe I've addressed the enforcement side of it at all, yet. Maybe someone else has, but I've not got to that stage.

There are issues with veils, but banning them is not the best choice.
It's a starting solution at least.
It's also the easiest and most likely, given how the banning of other things has happened, even if in response to minority incidents.

You'll find those bans were not specifically banning veils. They are bans on facial covering, which include veils, but also scarves, masks and helmets.
Which is the same principle by which people are looking to enact something here, pretty much for the same reasons.

It's also worth pointing out that those laws may have increased the chance of violence against those wearing veils.
Then perhaps they should stop breaking the laws of that country, maybe...?

"These women receive a lot of insults in the streets," De Feo says. "Normal people always want to make justice themselves." In 2013, a pregnant Muslim woman miscarried after two men attacked her and tried to remove her headscarf.
Yeah, well - Luckily there are already laws in place to cover this!! :p

The reality is these laws have't reduced the number of people wearing them, in fact it may have actually increased the number
Massively increase the fines then and start chucking people in prison, or deporting where applicable. It has to be a prohibitively heavy penalty, perhaps even to the point of it ruining some transgressors.

It's like the £60 speeding fine - That's so piddly, it's almost nothing to people. It costs more for a parking ticket in High Wycombe!!
Taking away the fine and doubling the points would be more effective... especially if teh penalty for driving without a licence had some teeth.
But as is, speeding fines are more about generating cash, which is why they're still at the level people can tolerate.

... As I said earlier it's a bit like forcing all women to go topless,
It's nothing like that, especially since they would already be the majority in their own society where such a thing has no history, tradition or precedent.
If they were women going to a different country, where all the lasses already have their bits out, then yeah... and I'd certainly advocate that being upheld too.

So are you advocating we be more like Iran and give people a kicking because they wear a veil?
Am I?
I dunno - What did I write?
Let's see - Oh, something about a thing being perfectly fine legally in another country, but socially considered highly unacceptable and quite likely to attract serious negativity, perhaps to the point of violence.
In other words, we already ARE like that because it's human nature the world over. Every nation has some things that it seriously frowns upon, even if it's celebrated in another country.
Right now, hiding your face in public is a big one for us and a number of other European countries.

Even then, bad taste isn't illegal.
So that makes it all OK?

I'm not arguing against specific bans for specific locations due to specific instances. I'm arguing against a wholesale ban in public places. In fact I've already mentioned multiple times that I think bans in certain places are perfectly reasonable. If there are issues with people that wear veils in a certain park for example then I have no issues with a ban on veils at that venue. The reality is it's unlikely you're going to get a gang of veiled women causing mischief at your local park or bus station.

As for schools I believe that most are tolerant to religions symbology. A turban isn't school uniform, but very few schools would force people to take them off would they.
It is NOT a symbol of any religion.
And for those of you in the cheap seats - It is NOT a symbol of any religion.

And yes, schools have turned away pupils for wearing veils. Many have developed their uniform regulations in consultation with mosques and Muslim governors, and this is supported by Ofsted and the Dept of Education.
At least one such case even went to court and it was ruled in favour of the school.

Soldato
I suppose it's up to the individual if they want to integrate or not.If they choose not to then it's hardly fair to attack the people who already live there for not feeling comfortable about something that is pretty alien to them. Why should they accept it?

Last edited:
Caporegime
But you do, in every thread that involves Islam.

No I don't.

I'll defend the right for people to practice a religion as long as it doesn't hurt others, and argue against blaming entire groups of people on the actions of a few.

It just so happens there are a number of people that consistently post anti muslim threads and as such there is a disproportionate number of those threads compared to others.

As an example, am I defending Islam in this thread? Or am I defending the right of women to chose the way they dress?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Is that a cultural thing though?

I question it because there are many tribes around the world that still wear native dress (usually in warm areas) that cover their male and woman bits, but not breasts of either sex.

Just as we (western people) find covering faces odd, people in those tribes find covering upper bodies odd.

You only have to cross the channel to discover that many cultures think it is perfectly normal to expose breasts in public places.

Should British women sunbathing in the South of France be forced to go topless because that is the cultural norm?

Caporegime
Is it, though... or are we going all lefty-liberal and making exceptions to been seen as accepting other cultures, again?

This sounds like that Britain First Argument - That muslims are taking over the country because of their birth rate. Completely ignoring the fact that second and third generation Brits have the same birth rates as "natives". So yes, it is.

Who cares if their mind is changed or not?
If it's not the done thing, it's not the done thing and as an outsider coming into another community it's up to you to either adopt their ways (which is supposedly the point of moving in) or look elsewhere.
If this means you cannot force your womenfolk to do something any more, then that's how it is...

**I have no links to official government websites that provide definitive 100% guaranteed proof, no.... and I assume you'll accept nothing less?

Other than that, Muslim friends, some actual Muslim women I've spoken to and worked with who explained why they dress like Ninjas, some Muslim men who explained why they (or those in the culture they ran away from) made their women dress like Ninjas, BBC documentaries, various Rights Campaign websites and charities, all the usual anecdotal and thus completely dismissable evidence. Make of that whatever you want... ** moved from below

Again with the "forced". Yet you provide no evidence to back up your claim. Care to provide some actual links to this? And no, i'm not going to settle for "I've spoken to people in ninja suits..." You claim there are BBC and rights organisations links to links to back your claim. Do so.

I can equally say I have spoken to people that say they wear them out of their own free will (and have already provided links that have people that cover their faces saying they do so out of their own free will. Remember, i'm not arguing that some people are forced to wear them, rather that there should be proof that the majority of people are forced to wear them in the UK/Germany.

Oh, does it have to be on here, then?

And you know full well that some other religions are hated just as much.
But even if we stick with just Islam, why are people seeking to outright ban just this one aspect of it, rather than several others?

No it doesn't, It's disproportionate in the media in general as well. When was the last time you saw a front page headline about the evil Jews or Hindus (for example) in a mainstream newspaper?

And there are several of people on this very forum that believe Islam should be banned in the UK, along with symbols of their religion (such as mosques and minarets).

What a great way of thinking... what sound, logical reasoning... I wonder if that works elsewhere?
Let's see: "Not every handgun owner is a murderous psychopath, soooooo rather than banning handgun ownership.... "?
No?

It's an item of clothing, not a weapon.

So now we have had a piece of cloth compared to rape and firearms. Pretty impressive!:p

But I still cannot FORCE anyone to wear one, because it infringes on the human rights this country affords them.

Well, no. Glad we agree on that point.:confused:

What, so by making someone follow the laws of this country, I am oppressing them?
If they have a problem with that, they can get lost, then. No different than if the situation were reversed...

If the law was designed specifically for them then yes, you are. In a civilised country you generally try and steer clear from laws that oppress.

And again, you appear to want us to become more like the nations you so despise. I don't want the UK to become like North Korea, Saudi or Iran, which is one of the reasons I don't want a law that forces women to wear/not wear an item of clothing.

So a woman being forced to wear a veil... and you don't think she could be similarly forced to lie when asked if she's wearing it voluntarily?
That same line of thinking is what keeps abuse victims quiet when their abuser says "Don't tell anyone about this"...

It's nowhere near ideal but at the very least, if you do ban the veil then you can't force a woman to wear one...

Those laws still don't stop Imams from publicly endorsing and encouraging it... In fact, I don't think they even punish them for it, either.

Honour-Killings also happen in a minority of countries, but we're not in them, either.... But guess what?

And that is a legitimate point. How do we get the truth? Honestly I don't know, other than providing safe places for people to talk to others about it, perhaps in the same way we help other abuse victims.

What we don't do however is ban relationships because some partners abuse their spouses.

Publicly endorsing something - as long as they do it of their own free will and it isn't hurting anyone is not something that the law should be against. Just as we wouldn't ban someone saying women should be more conservatively dressed, even if we disagree with them.

Actually I don't believe I've addressed the enforcement side of it at all, yet. Maybe someone else has, but I've not got to that stage.

It's a starting solution at least.
It's also the easiest and most likely, given how the banning of other things has happened, even if in response to minority incidents.

Massively increase the fines then and start chucking people in prison, or deporting where applicable. It has to be a prohibitively heavy penalty, perhaps even to the point of it ruining some transgressors.

It's like the £60 speeding fine - That's so piddly, it's almost nothing to people. It costs more for a parking ticket in High Wycombe!!
Taking away the fine and doubling the points would be more effective... especially if teh penalty for driving without a licence had some teeth.
But as is, speeding fines are more about generating cash, which is why they're still at the level people can tolerate.

It is one starting point, which will probably have the unfortunate result of forcing more women away from public society and integration. Well done.

All that for wearing a piece of cloth.

It's nothing like that, especially since they would already be the majority in their own society where such a thing has no history, tradition or precedent.
If they were women going to a different country, where all the lasses already have their bits out, then yeah... and I'd certainly advocate that being upheld too.

It's very much like that - see the previous discussions in the thread.

Am I?
I dunno - What did I write?
Let's see - Oh, something about a thing being perfectly fine legally in another country, but socially considered highly unacceptable and quite likely to attract serious negativity, perhaps to the point of violence.
In other words, we already ARE like that because it's human nature the world over. Every nation has some things that it seriously frowns upon, even if it's celebrated in another country.
Right now, hiding your face in public is a big one for us and a number of other European countries.

Well for starters you seem to be directly condoning violence and vigilanteism in the same post as you write this

moved from above

Then perhaps they should stop breaking the laws of that country, maybe...?

So that makes it all OK?

When the bad taste is in the eye of the beholder, because someone dares to wear something they don't like then yes, it's fine.

And for those of you in the cheap seats - It is NOT a symbol of any religion.

And yes, schools have turned away pupils for wearing veils. Many have developed their uniform regulations in consultation with mosques and Muslim governors, and this is supported by Ofsted and the Dept of Education.
At least one such case even went to court and it was ruled in favour of the school.

But it is a cultural symbol strongly connected to a religion, much like many of the other symbols that are allowed in schools. There is a simple solution, ban all religions and cultural symbols from schools - but then the backlash begins when a christian can't wear a necklace with a cross on...

That's another interesting paragraph. What happened to the girl after the court case? Did she go back to the school without a veil or did she end up going to another school (or end up home schooled)?

To be clear again. I'm not a fan of full face veils, but I understand why some people will insist on wearing them. As I mentioned before it's exactly the same cultural reasons as British women covering their breasts up.

Soldato
You only have to cross the channel to discover that many cultures think it is perfectly normal to expose breasts in public places.

Should British women sunbathing in the South of France be forced to go topless because that is the cultural norm?

British Women already sunbathe topless sometimes, French Women also aren't forced to sunbathe topless (sadly). Pretty bottom of the barrel stuff really.

Caporegime
British Women already sunbathe topless sometimes, French Women also aren't forced to sunbathe topless (sadly). Pretty bottom of the barrel stuff really.

It's just about acceptable on beaches in the UK, but anywhere else and women will generally be asked to cover up. It's certainly not as widespread or open as on the continent which is his point.

If there was a law insisting French women had to be topless then there would (rightly) be uproar, even though it is culturally normal to be topless if they want.

Soldato
This sounds like that Britain First Argument - That muslims are taking over the country because of their birth rate.
Ah, right. So that's your argument - Either I shut up and allow everything and everyone, without complaint, whether it fits in with our way of life or not, else I'm a racist little Nazi, yes?
OK, whatever....

Again with the "forced". Yet you provide no evidence to back up your claim. Care to provide some actual links to this?
Oh, playing that card? Well, I'm sure you'll decide none of it is valid and all of it is biassed, even if I could be arsed to do all that for you.
But lets have a quick Google and see...

Daily Mail? Nope, they're all BNP/Britain First/UKIP racists anyway.
Telegraph? Nope, they're too far behind the times.
Actual people? Nope, first person statements are all biassed...
HuffingtonPost - I don't actually know about that one, even, but I'm sure it's as wrong as everything else.

You want websites linking to accredited, certified university studies that specifically prove my own personal experiences and the words of people I have met over several different decades and which reference, or link to, numerous BBC television documentaries, I assume??!!
I doubt newspapers, first person accounts, claims from those who say they have been beaten into compliance, or anything other than data from some third party researcher will suffice, right?

OK, tell you what - Come meet me, we will go to my old offices in Olympic Way in Wembley, you can interview the women yourself. Then we'll go to Harrow, I will facilitate a meeting with Mohammed, the Iranian I used to live with and he will likely be able to do the same for most of the guys (some of whom fled the oppression, some of whom did the oppressing) we used to hang out with. The rest of it is down to whatever the BBC and other channels have on their online programme archives, I suppose.
From there, you can be the third party acredited researcher and make your own unbiassed mind up.

And no, i'm not going to settle for "I've spoken to people in ninja suits..." You claim there are BBC and rights organisations links to links to back your claim. Do so.
You're right.
I have absolutely zero academically acredited proof, therefore everything I say is false and you win.
I could claim I have two legs, perhaps even kick you with them as proof, but unless there is a university study that specifically proves that I, Tasky, have two legs, I am obviously wrong.
Great reasoning, there.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence and even if only a few are brave enough to come forward, that's enough.

I can equally say I have spoken to people that say they wear them out of their own free will (and have already provided links that have people that cover their faces saying they do so out of their own free will.
What links?
Newspapers?
Personal websites?
All equally biassed and invalid, I'm sure.

Remember, i'm not arguing that some people are forced to wear them, rather that there should be proof that the majority of people are forced to wear them in the UK/Germany.
Remember I don't CARE if it's the teeniest minority or whatever - It's the fact that ANYONE is forced to and that it is NOT conducive to happy society within the culture of this nation.

No it doesn't, It's disproportionate in the media in general as well. When was the last time you saw a front page headline about the evil Jews or Hindus (for example) in a mainstream newspaper?
I can't recall the last time I saw a mainstream paper about Evil Muslims, either, but this one particular aspect of clothing still keeps cropping up.

And there are several of people on this very forum that believe Islam should be banned in the UK, along with symbols of their religion (such as mosques and minarets).
Ah, well, since this forum *is* the centre of all culture and learning, I guess that settles the argument then?

So now we have had a piece of cloth compared to rape and firearms. Pretty impressive!:p
Don't like it?
Pick your own example of something that has been knee-jerk banned, then. Plenty to choose from.

If the law was designed specifically for them then yes, you are. In a civilised country you generally try and steer clear from laws that oppress.
You seem to be arguing for exceptions to those laws, though.
"ALL people of and in this land must follow this law.... unless you believe in a Sky Fairy, in which case do what you like". Positive discrimination is still discrimination and when it impacts everyone else, it's not a good law.

And again, you appear to want us to become more like the nations you so despise.
It only "appears" that way because you're closing your mind and opening your gates to everything. You're so focussed on NOT being racist and against incoming cultures, you're oppressing your own.

I don't want the UK to become like North Korea, Saudi or Iran, which is one of the reasons I don't want a law that forces women to wear/not wear an item of clothing.
It's ultimately not about that though, but about taking away the tool that can be used to hurt them. It only has momentum because it also inhibits the kind of social interaction that everyone else here expects.

What we don't do however is ban relationships because some partners abuse their spouses.
We're probably not far off that, TBH. We ban most things because a few people can't be trusted to behave.

Publicly endorsing something - as long as they do it of their own free will and it isn't hurting anyone is not something that the law should be against.
Well, I'm sure all you have to do is get them to post a few links to prove they're voluntarily doing it and all will be fine...

Just as we wouldn't ban someone saying women should be more conservatively dressed, even if we disagree with them.
Depends on the reasons they give.

It is one starting point, which will probably have the unfortunate result of forcing more women away from public society and integration. Well done.
They are unable to integrate with our culture because they won't integrate with our culture... and it's now my fault?
Yeah, real unfortunate.
I suppose we should all learn foreign languages to accommodate those who don't want to abandon their own, too, yes?

You move to a country, you follow their ways. That's how it goes. Why is this place such a pain in the bum exception?

It's very much like that - see the previous discussions in the thread.
Ah, well, can't argue with that kind of reasoning.....!!!!

Well for starters you seem to be directly condoning violence and vigilanteism in the same post as you write this
I'm pointing out that other countries are seemingly allowed to respond with violence, yet we're not even allowed to voice a dislike of something... because that is oppression and we don't oppress (unless it's ourselves).

When the bad taste is in the eye of the beholder, because someone dares to wear something they don't like then yes, it's fine.
So why do we have a swear filter here?
Why are certain topics not allowed?
Why are we 'being oppressed' on this very forum, when it's all in the eyes of the Mods/beholders?

It may well be in the eye of the beholder but if enough people behold it thus, then it becomes an actual problem.

But it is a cultural symbol strongly connected to a religion
Connected to, but not actually a requirement of and seemingly only applicable to certain people from certain countries.

There is a simple solution, ban all religions and cultural symbols from schools - but then the backlash begins when a christian can't wear a necklace with a cross on...
Are they hiding behind the cross and inhibiting the social and cultural norms?

That's another interesting paragraph. What happened to the girl after the court case? Did she go back to the school without a veil or did she end up going to another school (or end up home schooled)?
From the one I read, I believe she returned without the veil. I know a couple of women at my Wembley office did the same once it was pointed out to them that they did not have to wear it in the office.

As I mentioned before it's exactly the same cultural reasons as British women covering their breasts up.
The reason given by one of the Iranians I used to hang with was, "Because I don't want other men looking at my wife".... Because *he* didn't want it, she had to obey. Nothing to do with what she wanted.

But we allow this..... why?

Back
Top Bottom