Easiest way to join Ubuntu 16 to an active directory domain

Soldato
Hello

I've got a server essentials 2012 r2 domain running at home and I'd like to join a Linux installation to it. I understand active directory relatively and can do windows ones without an trouble but joining a Linux machine has proven to not be so easy for me, I can use the command line and do 'things' with Linux but I'm not a whizz with it.

Does anybody have any easy tutorials or go to websites that can show me how to do it? I've tried following the Ubuntu help page for sssd but the service wouldn't start after following the editing and I'm just not sure if it is working right.

Any help is appreciated.

Chris

Associate
or this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/sssd-ad.html

not done it with Ubuntu myself but have on Arch which is a little more involved but gives a good end solution;
- AD login
- use kerberos to mount Windows shares
- AD groups for access control, sudo etc

progress in this space in the last few years has been noticeable so it shouldn't be too hard (especially with a distro like Ubuntu).

Man of Honour
No offence but if you're not a *NIX admin or have extensive experience then you're really going to struggle. What are you trying to achieve by joining it to AD?

Soldato
OP
No offence but if you're not a *NIX admin or have extensive experience then you're really going to struggle. What are you trying to achieve by joining it to AD?

None taken, I'm just interested as I try to connect most things to my domain if possible if they're permanent. At the moment, the ubuntu system is the controller for my unifi setup, so would be running 24/7 on one of the vm hosts.

There isn't really a compelling reason to do so, especially as there is no 'connector' software like there is for Windows machines, just playing really as I haven't tried before.

Man of Honour
I don't see what it will give you apart from Kerberos authentication, you could just create a user with the same username/password on the Ubunti box to run your apps which would work similarly.

If it's not a desperate need I would just leave it, as Caged posted above.

Soldato
We've used both Centrify and PowerBroker Identity Services (PBIS) for our Linux machines at work. They both offer free packages which allow you to domain-join your boxes with very little hassle.

Back
Top Bottom