Error Code 6F - Z170 Gigabyte Gaming 7

Soldato
Morning All,

I've posted this in the owners thread, as well as on here to ensure it get's visibility :) (I hope the mods have no issue with this)

I've had some issues today on a relatively new build, which I'm hoping someone can help with.

I was using the PC, as normal (playing overwatch, pretending to do work), then suddenly the PC crashed. Since then, I have't been able to boot.

I've gone through the normal component elimination process with no luck, it was just hanging and wouldn't POST (no splash screen, no detection from my monitor). The Error code related to Devices.

Eventually, I cleared CMOS and I got a little further, with the Mobo now hanging on Error Code 6F. Has anyone experienced this before?

Again, I've tried everything, RAM out (1 module at a time & different slots), all sata devices unplugged (1 SSD, 1 HDD, 1 CD Drive), GPU out completely - all with 0 impact, I'm still stuck on 6F.

I've even tried using the Dual bios switch, again - no difference.

My PC Spec is below in my signature and I'll also confirm it here. Please note, I've never upgraded the bios since I purchased (so assume stock) and I haven't overclocked the CPU (no need), though the RAM was set at OC 2666.

Any help is grealty appreciated!

6700K @ Stock (not re-seated as I have the Archon cooler, that thing isn't moving)
Corsair Vengeance DDR 16GB @ 2666 (rated to this level - CMK16GX4M2A2666C16)
Z170X Gaming 7 Motherboard

Is this a RAM issue?

Please note, I previously ran Memtest65 (that one which you put on USB stick run from boot-up) for about 24 hours+, never any issues

Many Thanks

Last edited:
Man of Honour
According to your manual the code 6F is listed as reserved so it's unlikely that anybody on here know what it means. Try contacting Gigabyte. Have you googled the code yourself? This result on Google seems to suggest it's not a fault code and is just a system code and that 6F means waking from sleep. This one suggests it's to do with Thunderbolt although he's not sure if it's bF or 6F.

Try updating the bios if you can because the latest is F20 and there have been several updates for comaptibility fixes. Download to a usb stick and use the flashing tool in the bios.

Soldato
OP
According to your manual the code 6F is listed as reserved so it's unlikely that anybody on here know what it means. Try contacting Gigabyte. Have you googled the code yourself? This result on Google seems to suggest it's not a fault code and is just a system code and that 6F means waking from sleep. This one suggests it's to do with Thunderbolt although he's not sure if it's bF or 6F.

Try updating the bios if you can because the latest is F20 and there have been several updates for comaptibility fixes. Download to a usb stick and use the flashing tool in the bios.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I've googled to death I'm afraid - which is why my thought pattern has gone down the memory route.

I've also tried Gigabyte - telling me to reset CMOS, taking battery out etc - been there done that :( They suggested it's a RMA / contact dealer if that doesn't work (which it hasn't).

Unfortunately, I can't flash a new bios either as it won't POST :( Unless there is a way this can be done beforehand?

Thanks for trying though!

Back
Top Bottom