Asus laptops

Associate
I thinking about getting a new laptop and I've figured it might be an idea to get a gaming one as I had a gaming desktop in the past and for the 4 to 5 years it was fully operational I really enjoyed gaming on it.

I have a ps4 now so likely won't game as much on the PC and would prefer something portable so I can shift it up next to the TV for big screen gaming or simply move it about as and when I need to.

The release of the new 10xx cards seems to have given a big boost to gaming laptops and from reviews etc they can run pretty much everything at 1080p at 60 frames +

All good so far then, but we're are the Asus ones ??? I've seen the strix models but only the 1060 at around 1200 here on OC uk, I'm thinking the 1070 is going to be the sweet spot card as it's quite a bit faster than the already impressive 1060.

How much do you guys think the 1070 equipped strix is going to be, and why is the 17" strix with 1060 cheaper than the 15" strix with the same card ? This is all getting a bit confusing ??

MGP

MGP

Soldato
I'd agree the 4 lowest priced 1060 i5 v i7 based Asus lappy currently on the OcUK page appear a bit weird. The 15" appears more pricey than the equivalent 17", but then they aren't equivalent as the 15" has a bigger SSD but also less GPU RAM.

What I can't see is the refresh rate of the lappy screen. If it is only 60Hz then the 1060 should be enough to power it for most modern games. 1070 would be pushing frame rates beyond the screen capability? As this screen seems to be G-sync then 1060 should be enough, for a mid range priced lappy.

But these days a 128GB SSD is pants. That's windows and probably only one decent game. Replacing the 1TB HDD with a second SSD would be desirable.

Caporegime
I had windows on 30GB SSD, so 128GB is more than enough for OS and a few games.

What I do now is have a hybrid or mechanical drive as the main drive and use a small SSD (30GB) drive as a readyboost drive. I get the best of all worlds then.

Back
Top Bottom