Apple to Introduce New Macs at October 27 Event

Soldato
Just FYI, yes I know this is a cost option but if you're worried about dragging your £2k laptop on to the floor it's not much.. you can get this https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable

There are loads of USB C dock options, they're just not cheap but no part of this.

To be honest I sort of welcome the "nice things cost money" thing, I mean I've been looking for a laptop for my daughter and what you can get for £250 is pretty impressive.. similarly you can buy a new car for well under £10k, just don't expect it to be a BMW.. it's totally rational, I guess the only difficult part with Apple is that they don't cover all that many pricepoints and they've gotten a recent slight over aggression in terms of port removal.

In time it'll work out just fine I'm sure but someone needs to kick it off. USB-C is still a minute part of the market and hopefully this will start turbocharging it.

Associate
Is there not some sort of USB-C dock that can be powered off the USB port but provide several older style USB ports/ethernet/HDMI etc? One that just clips on to the side of the laptop would solve a few issues, but still not the removal of magsafe :(

There are a few USB C docks around from a quick google, but most don't have more than a few older type usb ports on, and then have even more usb c ports on them. Not sure they are powered by the port on the laptop or by external power source.

I should think they will come out with some, hopefully.

Soldato
To be honest I sort of welcome the "nice things cost money" thing, I mean I've been looking for a laptop for my daughter and what you can get for £250 is pretty impressive.. similarly you can buy a new car for well under £10k, just don't expect it to be a BMW.. it's totally rational, I guess the only difficult part with Apple is that they don't cover all that many pricepoints and they've gotten a recent slight over aggression in terms of port removal.

I get that "nice things cost money" it's just when those equally nice things cost considerably less from other manufacturers it's a bit of a kick in the teeth.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
It seems it’s not just people on here moaning about the price rises, it seems people in the US are moaning as well from reading various sites over there.

This made me laugh though:

Affordability is "absolutely something we care about," Schiller says. "But we don't design for price, we design for the experience and the quality people expect from Mac. Sometimes that means we end up at the higher end of the range, but not on purpose, just because that's what it costs."

MacRumours - Link

Soldato
Its just works, expect your headphones ports are different between the iPhone and your mac, also you can't charge any iOS devices without buying a new cable or dongle. Things are starting to slip it seems.

Soldato
I get that "nice things cost money" it's just when those equally nice things cost considerably less from other manufacturers it's a bit of a kick in the teeth.

Thats exactly my point, a 1 series costs more than the equivalent Focus, a Galaxy S7 costs more than the equivalent Oneplus.

And somewhere along the line there are nicer bits to the more expensive one but it's hard to quantify.. hence.. nicer things cost more money.

Soldato
Having just spent some time looking into it, I'm seriously considering a Razer Blade Stealth now. With the core external gpu box it could even replaced my current gaming rig, at least in theory.

Thanks for mentioning this, I wasn't aware of it, it looks so much like a black Macbook I'd be surprised if Apple don't sue them at some point...!

I was going to get either a MBP if pricing was OK, or if not then a Macbook or Lenovo Yoga 910 (once released), but with the increase in base price on the Macbook and pitiful specs in comparison, I think the Razer Blade Stealth is likely to be the winner - I want to look into warranty though as I'm not sure what the situation is with Razer in the UK.

Soldato
Just FYI, yes I know this is a cost option but if you're worried about dragging your £2k laptop on to the floor it's not much.. you can get this https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable

There are loads of USB C dock options, they're just not cheap but no part of this.

In time it'll work out just fine I'm sure but someone needs to kick it off. USB-C is still a minute part of the market and hopefully this will start turbocharging it.

The cable you link to isn't a magsafe to USB-C, it's just a USB-C cable with a magnetic part to stop it pulling the laptop off the desk. So if I want to use my Thunderbolt display I need a Thunderbolt to USB-C convertor, and to buy a 2nd power adaptor to power the laptop.

Whereas now I just plug my MBA in to 2 cables from the display and it is powered and using the display.

I have zero issue paying top money for a quality product/car/house/anything, the amount it costs isn't the issue, it's the fact it feels like they are taking the ****.

I can't charge my iPhone without buying a new cable.
I can't connect to the internet via ethernet without a new adaptor.
I can't connect to my Thunderbolt display with a new adaptor.
I can't use the Thunderbolt magsafe power cable so need an additional power adaptor.

ignoring the cost, it's taking the **** really isn't it? And I've been a Mac only user for over 8 years so I'm as much a fan of Apple products as anyone on here.

Soldato
The cable you link to isn't a magsafe to USB-C, it's just a USB-C cable with a magnetic part to stop it pulling the laptop off the desk. So if I want to use my Thunderbolt display I need a Thunderbolt to USB-C convertor, and to buy a 2nd power adaptor to power the laptop.

Whereas now I just plug my MBA in to 2 cables from the display and it is powered and using the display.

I have zero issue paying top money for a quality product/car/house/anything, the amount it costs isn't the issue, it's the fact it feels like they are taking the ****.

I can't charge my iPhone without buying a new cable.
I can't connect to the internet via ethernet without a new adaptor.
I can't connect to my Thunderbolt display with a new adaptor.
I can't use the Thunderbolt magsafe power cable so need an additional power adaptor.

ignoring the cost, it's taking the **** really isn't it? And I've been a Mac only user for over 8 years so I'm as much a fan of Apple products as anyone on here.

Yeah I know I'm just showing you how to replace the magsafe type functionality thats all.

And yes, I agree.. Apple have been pushing it a bit with obsoleting widely adopted connectors, I mean the idea of using an adapter for an SD card or USB thumb drive or whatever is a bit problematic, especially considering I use both so infrequently I wouldn't bother buying the adapter until I really need it and then it'll be too late.

Either way, not an issue for me right now as I doubt I could convince work I need a new MBP seeing as my 2014 still has the legs on pretty much every other machine in the business.

Soldato
I think at this point its just stupid, you can't even charge your iphone, or use the headphones across 2 brand new apple devices. Do the different departments not even talk anymore, or did they just give up caring at all.

Soldato
I think at this point its just stupid, you can't even charge your iphone, or use the headphones across 2 brand new apple devices. Do the different departments not even talk anymore, or did they just give up caring at all.

I suspect the argument is that the 3.5mm is both easier to find room for on the laptop and used for more than just listening so getting rid or going wireless wasn't appropriate.

In terms of charging an iPhone I suspect like 99% of buyers don't have a macbook pro, they supply both the charging head with a standard USB A and all the installed base of chargers out there are USB A, I've never seen a mains or car charger head with USB C.. for anyone wanting to physically charge an iPhone from a macbook pro you can get either an adapter, a hub or a lightning to USB C cable.

I do agree though it's painful... Pretty sure in a year or 2 we'll be back to wondering what all the fuss was about and be lusting after macbook pros as usual :)

Back
Top Bottom