**** The Official Google Pixel C Thread ****

Soldato
I've never ran a benchmark on my Pixel C, and haven't noticed many performance issues since the official release of 7, I'm sure my wi-fi signal has got worse however. It seems to have stopped an (infrequent) annoying slowdown on the pattern unlock screen I was having.
If anything, I'm a bit disappointed in this multiwindow stuff. Increasingly frustrated with apps forcing portrait mode when I've got the keyboard in use. It'd be far better if the tablet could detect these lazy coded apps, and split them to a half window mode (maybe it can, and I just don't realise). I know there are a few apps that force apps to run in a specific orientation, anyone got recommendations?

Soldato
I've never ran a benchmark on my Pixel C, and haven't noticed many performance issues since the official release of 7, I'm sure my wi-fi signal has got worse however. It seems to have stopped an (infrequent) annoying slowdown on the pattern unlock screen I was having.
If anything, I'm a bit disappointed in this multiwindow stuff. Increasingly frustrated with apps forcing portrait mode when I've got the keyboard in use. It'd be far better if the tablet could detect these lazy coded apps, and split them to a half window mode (maybe it can, and I just don't realise). I know there are a few apps that force apps to run in a specific orientation, anyone got recommendations?

Please tell me MS Word isn't one of those apps?

Associate
I know there are a few apps that force apps to run in a specific orientation, anyone got recommendations?

I use Rotation... tried a sizeable number of these apps out and it's pretty much the best of the bunch, and worth paying for the unlock.

Easily configurable to force "full sensor" on an individual app and have the app behave according to how the tablet's sitting (portait, landscape, keyboard attached or otherwise). It's been the most stable of all the apps I've tried and generally just works without grief, once it's been trained which apps you want to rotate according to your rules.

It's been fine with me so far, and hasn't had any rotation fits. The app above will tame it though, if it does fall out of line and start misbehaving.

Soldato

Never used it on this, although don't remember Word having that issue on the Nexus 9.
For me, it's Facebook occasionally when going through to a seperate group site, and Instagram which is a lazy useless app.
Think a couple of fitness apps had done it.

Will check out rotation, and get it sorted.

Soldato
almost about to pull the trigger on one of these

I hope it's worth £500 :D

Win10 laptop going back to work, when you just need to get stuff done, it fails hard. This morning I had to sit 30mins for updates when I urgently needed access to some data :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm getting old (well, I know I am :D) and these days I just wanna turn on, work, turn off

Associate
Am very happy with mine - had a nexus 9 before but it really struggled when it got anywhere near max capacity (which wasn't very much for a 16gb model).

I don't have nor want the keyboard so use it purely as a tablet which it does very well.

Soldato
It's pretty sad how inactive the Pixel C thread is, I guess telling on how few bought the thing...

Typing this on my Pixel C at the airport just now. I run stock Android, and have never considered rooting or flashing another rom. Looking forward to seeing what the latest update brings when I get home.
For the apps I use, I can say it just works.

£380 for the 64gb is a more tolerable price. Wouldn't recommend the keyboard to most people, the price is just stupid, but it makes it pretty awesome for travelling.

Just wish Android and associated apps *cough*Instagram*cough* would sort themselves out, some apps constantly force portrait mode. You shouldn't have to use a workaround for that issue...
Arstechnica did a pretty good piece a while ago about the state of Android, I'd long forgotten using Honeycomb but it's disappointing it managed to do a tablet experience better than the current release.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone had touch issues with theirs? Mine seems to be dropping the odd phantom touch here and there, as well as losing touch when I've still got a finger on the screen.

No screen protector on and no device>floor events that I know of, although I'm getting a mild rattle/creak from the left side when looking at it in landscape.

Done the usual factory reset shenanigans, and a diag program shows no issues that I can personally see.

Currently on the chat blower to Google support to see if owt can be done... definitely don't want to lose this bad boy, as I've just given the current Mrs Undergroove a Fire HD 8 and it's damn abysmal, so hope a fix or replacement is doable.

Associate
Is there a new one coming out, what with the price drop on the 64 model and the keyboard you think they trying to move some stock

Associate
Anyone had touch issues with theirs? Mine seems to be dropping the odd phantom touch here and there, as well as losing touch when I've still got a finger on the screen.

No screen protector on and no device>floor events that I know of, although I'm getting a mild rattle/creak from the left side when looking at it in landscape.

Done the usual factory reset shenanigans, and a diag program shows no issues that I can personally see.

Currently on the chat blower to Google support to see if owt can be done... definitely don't want to lose this bad boy, as I've just given the current Mrs Undergroove a Fire HD 8 and it's damn abysmal, so hope a fix or replacement is doable.
Just to say I bought a Pixel C back in March and last week it developed a dead touchscreen; OTA keyboard/mouse showed the rest of it was working. It started with the touch screen just being a little slow and sometimes not responding (but a reboot fixed it) and then one day it just died. I did a factory reset as per google support chat but in the end was an RMA. Ironically, they sent me a Pixel C from Nov 2015 (based on SN) whereas the faulty original was made in Jan/Feb 2016.
The replacement has a clicky screen (only noticeable when I clean the display) and the digitiser is quite visible when displaying white.
It's a shame, I really hope they had QC nailed down as the price was equal to an iPad (I did buy with dev discount at the time luckily).

Associate
Went through support and full reset seems to have tamed it, but on your experience maybe that's wishful thinking!

On the whole, it's been fine since, although I've not thrown full suite of apps and the like at it.

Noticed on the Google store that the 32GB isn't available any more too... hmmm...

Back
Top Bottom