• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

upgrade 3670k to 3770k or wait for kaby?

Associate
So, essentially an i7 6700k is likely your best bet.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18758178&page=1

That bundle is £270 off. I really can't see any alternative, especially when price is factored in. An overclocked i7 6700k is pretty much the best thing (for a good price) for games. Only very recent games are taking advantage of i7 performance (which used to be alongside i5 roughly).

Soldato
I made the same jump about 6 months ago for just over £100 after the sale of my 3570k. Pound for pound, it's been one of the better upgrades I've done.

The stuff about 4k above is mostly garbage. You will be gpu bottlenecked even with a 1080 before a clocked Sandy or Ivy i7 is an issue.

Last edited:
Associate
I made the same jump about 6 months ago for just over £100 after the sale of my 3570k. Pound for pound, it's been one of the better upgrades I've done.

The stuff about 4k above is mostly garbage. You will be gpu bottlenecked even with a 1080 before a clocked Sandy or Ivy i7 is an issue.

Please do find me a video of someone playing on an i5 3570k at 4k, constant 60fps+ with decently high settings then...

Last edited:
Associate
Please do find me a video of someone playing on an i5 3570k at 4k, constant 60fps+ with decently high settings then...

wow you really don't know how it works do you.?

if you don't believe me then lock your fps in a game and check your cpu usage at say 720p resolution then up the resolution to max possible where your gpu is still able to deliver your locked fps and check your cpu usage again. It will be exactly the same. Resolution does not affect cpu usage at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
wow you really don't know how it works do you.?

if you don't believe me then lock your fps in a game and check your cpu usage at say 720p resolution then up the resolution to max possible where your gpu is still able to deliver your locked fps and check your cpu usage again. It will be exactly the same. Resolution does not affect cpu usage at all.

It's bad enough thinking you're right when you aren't, let alone encouraging others with the same point of view :D

Soldato
Since when it's the CPU that's responsible for resolution.? The only limiting factor would be pci-e gen 2 if anything.

If your CPU can do 60fps at 720p then it will do it just as well at 4K if the GPU have enough power.

An i7 3770k can't do 4k properly either, and anyway I wouldnt bother with such a small upgrade anyway. To do 4k you will need a lot faster pc in general, so a lot faster CPU etc

Is this linus tech tips forum or ocuk?

The level of noob in these comments are off the scale.

The 3770k is pcie gen 3 unless it running in an old revision p67/z68 motherboard.

A 3770k overclocked is as fast as a 6700k at stock speed, and as you increase resolution and the fps goes down, the stress on the cpu decreases.

Soldato
The only popular game right now that's benefiting from more than 4 cores is Battlefield 1 MP so I can't see how anything less than 6800K will bottleneck 1080 SLI. In 99.9% of games 6700K will outperform 6800K even when running TITAN XP SLI.
6800K hasn't got enough pcie lanes to run both cards at 16x pcie.

Plenty of games use more than 4 cores.

Associate
Is this linus tech tips forum or ocuk?

The level of noob in these comments are off the scale.

The 3770k is pcie gen 3 unless it running in an old revision p67/z68 motherboard.

A 3770k overclocked is as fast as a 6700k at stock speed, and as you increase resolution and the fps goes down, the stress on the cpu decreases.

Maybe stop and think for a moment. Why would the i7 6700k be run at stock? You are a bit special if that's what you would use one for. An overclocked 6700k easily beats an overclocked 3770. No contest. It's a stupid point to even consider using an i7 6700k at stock clocks and adds nothing to this discussion.

Last edited:
Associate
980Ti > 1080 is about 30% improvement (anandtech bench)
new kaby CPU would make it go about 10% faster(?) (citation: guess) it's up to you :)
If the CPU was the bottleneck that might cause a problem or two for the graphics card industry.. oh look, its fine. ;)

Soldato
Maybe stop and think for a moment. Why would the i7 6700k be run at stock? You are a bit special if that's what you would use one for. An overclocked 6700k easily beats an overclocked 3770. No contest. It's a stupid point to even consider using an i7 6700k at stock clocks and adds nothing to this discussion.

You should really get a better understanding of how cpus can be the limiting factor before calling people stupid, or near enough. You clearly don't understand how it works.

Associate

Beats in what way ?

I think what you forget here is that the VAST majority of people still game at 60hz with vsync enabled regardless of resolution. during benchmarking this vsync limit is removed to allow testers to show the differences between the hardware that their testing so of course a 6700k beats an overclocked 3770k, but what difference does it actually make when your gaming ? probably not a lot.

I myself upgraded from a 3770k @ 4.8 ghz to a 6800k @4.5, have i noticed a difference in gaming ? no, have i noticed a fps and score increase in benchmarks ? yes.. big whoop.

Don't get me wrong , i love my new setup, but did i build it as a upgrade for gaming ? , hell no.

Associate
Dont know about a 3570K but IME a 3770K @ 4.5 coupled with 980TI SLI handles 4k quite well and runs 60fps with max settings in most cases all overclocked quite heavily,though. Biggest benefit I can see upgrading now would be the reduction in power consumption with a system update using something like a 1080 as my SLI system on overclocked maxwells with an overclocked 3770k demands a lot of grunt. Game wise only time I have issues with anything less than that is the usual poorly optimised game or no SLI support where I get around 40fps on a heavily overclocked single 980TI. CPU doesn't cause my system any issues with bottlenecking at 4k/60.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes a overclocked 6700k.maybe be faster but by what? 3-5fps? Is it worth spending 3x more money for 3fps? No. It's not even as if all games use more than 4 cores either. Most don't.

Stop trolling and giving false information.

Associate
Yes a overclocked 6700k.maybe be faster but by what? 3-5fps? Is it worth spending 3x more money for 3fps? No. It's not even as if all games use more than 4 cores either. Most don't.

Stop trolling and giving false information.

When I upgraded from [email protected] to [email protected] I was seeing high fps increase in some games (Crysis 3 was slowing down to 40fps in some areas with 2500K and with 6700K it's well over 60 in those same places) but no gain in others.
So yeah it all depends on a game.
I'm playing almost every decent game that's released so for me the upgrade was definitely worth it.

Soldato
There's some real guff in this thread, 4K gaming wth does that have to do with anything.

There is nothing wrong with the OP's i5 as it is but a jump over to the 3770k would make far more sense than splashing the cash on a 6700k.

Spending upwards of 500 quid for the sake of a few games is and always will be bloody daft.

Associate
There's some real guff in this thread, 4K gaming wth does that have to do with anything.

There is nothing wrong with the OP's i5 as it is but a jump over to the 3770k would make far more sense than splashing the cash on a 6700k.

Spending upwards of 500 quid for the sake of a few games is and always will be bloody daft.

Exactly some people insist that you have to upgrade your cpu when going for higher resolution which is totally untrue.

Back
Top Bottom