Low spec 10" tablet purely for watching TV streams and netflix

Soldato
Liking this so far after only a few hours playing :D
Would like to be able to move buttons on the navigation bar at the bottom,any way to be able to do this?Had the option on a custom ROM on my Xoom and have got used to the position now :)

Sorry not sure you'll be able to do that unless you can get hold of a custom ROM from somewhere, glad your liking the tablet though, it's not 'perfect' but for the money I don't think you can get much better considering the screen quality and battery life, I only grabbed one as a temporary measure after selling my iPad but decided it was more than adequate for my needs and saved me a good chunk of change.

Soldato
Thanks for the recommendation lowrider :) Was looking for a cheap tablet to replace my ageing brick of an HP Touchpad. Mine should be with me tomorrow.

Any recommendations for a case and screen protector please?

Soldato
Got myself a case. Pretty damn good for the money and looks like it should protect it well whilst at the gym:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U8N9YUG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just one minor niggle - although all other port cutouts are in the right place, you do have to take the Lenovo out in order to get to the micro sd card slot.

Not got a screen protector yet though but will hunt for one.

Loving the tablet so far. So much better than my touchpad which is now resting on the touchstone charging stand, designated to bedside radio/alarm clock duties :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Glad your liking the tablet, I've not put a screen protector on mine and I shove it in my bag quite a lot and don't have any scratches on it yet (touch wood), as far as I'm aware it does have a scratch resistant glass but it's not gorilla glass.

If you want to improve the scrolling performance try my tip out.

Thanks :) I may just get a cheapo one from ebay for a couple of quid rather than anything fancy like tempered glass just for that extra reassurance.

And thanks - I'd read your tip there before buying the Tab and did that after the succession of Lenovo updates so can't really say how much difference it's made here but i'm sure it has as i trust your judgement :D

I did have a big problem getting the Dolby Atmos to work. The whole interface went dim and unresponsive as soon as i opened it up and turns out it was Poweramp causing some sort of conflict that caused it, possibly the equalizer. Pity as I do like Poweramp but had to uninstall it (as well as clear data from all Dolby services/apps and reboot) before Atmos started working as normal. I'll try reinstalling poweramp and fiddle about with its settings to see if i can get them both playing nicely.

Soldato
can someone help me. , just got my lenovo, and cant for the life of me work out how to make a folder in the apps area.. ?

also icons on the homepage seem to not reach anywhere near the edge of the screen, is this normal ?

can someone help me. , just got my lenovo, and cant for the life of me work out how to make a folder in the apps area.. ?

also icons on the homepage seem to not reach anywhere near the edge of the screen, is this normal ?

Just install Nova Launcher, trust me, you won't look back, is super smooth, good folder options, and utilities the home screen space a lot better.

With regards to folder options in the "apps area" Once installed you can access Nova's settings by pressing the home button, tap 'settings', then 'App & Widget Drawers', then scroll all the way down to 'Draw Groups', tap that and you can set up up custom TABS and Folders for your Apps Drawer.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd not really noticed there was a big margin between the homescreen icons and edge of screen but since you mentioned it, i do :D I did briefly try Nova and found the same. Is there a setting somewhere within that allows you to change that?

I'm not sure what you mean about the gap, using Nova Launcher it seems about the same on my phone (Xperia z3), I can move the icons pretty close to the edge, you can resize the 'desktop grid' though if you want to fit more on screen, also you can change the 'padding size' for widgets if you want them to reach to the edge of the screen, to resize widgets just hold your finger down on them and the resize option will appear.

Soldato
I'm not sure what you mean about the gap, using Nova Launcher it seems about the same on my phone (Xperia z3), I can move the icons pretty close to the edge, you can resize the 'desktop grid' though if you want to fit more on screen, also you can change the 'padding size' for widgets if you want them to reach to the edge of the screen, to resize widgets just hold your finger down on them and the resize option will appear.

Thanks :) You've hit on it right there. Changing the desktop grid settings has allowed more icons on screen and they get closer to the edge of the screen than default. Playing with the padding too - very handy that!

:)

in portrait mode they are close to the edge now

but in landscape they are still far away

It's not that easy to scale icons and widgets perfectly when going from landscape to portrait, it's a completely different aspect ratio, that's generally why they have the padding (space) either side in landscape so when you go back to portrait they have space to fit.

I'm guessing you prefer to use your tablet in landscape?

Personally outside of videos I much prefer portrait as webpages fit that aspect ratio better and you can see more from top to bottom.

Soldato
yes, i prefer landscape though getting used to it now and its not really a big deal the icons dont get close to the edge, just thought i was doing something wrong .

Back
Top Bottom