Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Caporegime
Where is this and where can I get it?

Seriously wish other formulas were more accessible and popular! Makes f1 look like a snooze fest!

World Rallycross. Do not confuse it with Global Rallycross, which is a stupid X Games inspired America thing that races around bollards at NASCAR tracks.

World RX is pretty new, its only in its 3rd season. But its attracting big names. Petter Solberg (remember him?) is double World Champion. This year Sebastian Loeb has entered for the full season, along with Ken Block. Its getting massive support from manufacturers too.

It has rounds across the globe, with the UK round at Lydden Hill in a couple of weeks time on the May Bank Holiday weekend. That race above is from the round in Hockenheim, which is a double header with the DTM which is an epic weekend of motorsport. Ekstrom (who went on to win the WRX final) also raced in the DTM that weekend!

They have a YouTube channel which shows lots of highlights videos, and build up to weekends too. Its also broadcast live in the UK on Quest.

Why are they drifting even when on the asphalt? It's the slowest way around a corner. I guess if they brake, then accelerate they'll be taken out though.

The combination of gravel tyres and a dusty track mean its easier to fling it in Rally style and slide than it is to slow and take the corner like a track racer.

Plus, it looks cool, and you get to pull moves like this:

Caporegime
I'm going to check this out properly. Maybe set the pvr up for it or something. Looks like great entertainment and can appreciate the skill as it's more similar to Road cars and driving than f1

Soldato
Why does the press keep entertaining Bernie with his nonsense about a London Grand Prix?!

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2016-05-09/could-formula-1-race-be-coming-to-central-london/

It's NEVER going to happen!! They'll never find anyone willing to pay for it, never get the roads closed for a week round any of the sights F1 would want it to go past and the law still doesn't allow racing on public roads!

He throws this line out every year and every year some idiots print it like it's a possibility!

Soldato
...the law still doesn't allow racing on public roads!

I agree with you, but this issue has been cleared up. Whereas previously the RTA could only be suspended by an act of parliament, this has now been devolved to local authorities, so I guess the GLC in this case.

However, that still leaves the question of who will pay for it and who is going to allow F1 to close the roads for 5 days and race loud cars in the centre of a city?

Caporegime
Well, right up until you open the bonnet.... These things run 600bhp+!

Oh yeah but I can still drift round a round a bout a bit anyway!
Much more real than having a DRS flap etc :D

Been watching a few bits. Looks amazing still. I never really looked, but I always was keen on rally style driving but cars alongside.. Which is exactly what this is!

Caporegime
OH MY ******* GOD!

So, a lot of you probably saw the news that Nelson Piquet Jr had entered the Euro F3 Pau GP. A bit of a shock, but having a big name, ex-F1 driver, and current Formula E Champion on the grid was only ever going to be pure positive headline making PR for the event.

All's good then....

Well, no, because the FIA have decided to reject Piquet's place on the grid as being "against the spirit of the championship". WHAT THE ACTUAL ****?!?!

Putting aside my opinion that Piquet and Co should all have been banned from motorsports after the Singapore fiasco, what the hell are the FIA playing at?

Its as if they are deliberately trying to make it look like they are all complete idiots!

Caporegime
So make it so he can't win championship points as he's not a regular driver? Wild card drivers race in most series all the time? Smacks of FIA not wanting him to be anywhere close to being successful again.

Caporegime
He was only planning on making a one off appearance as a wild card in one of Formula 3's headline events.

They say he isn't allowed to run because he doesn't meet the criteria rules they have put in to stop inexperienced drivers joining, or people staying in F3 for too long. But the logical thing to do is make an exception for a headline wildcard as its all good PR. It isn't like he's likely to win, he's not driven an F3 car for 12 years!

Meanwhile, in the ACO regulated Le Mans race, next month, the organizers have made an exception to allow a guy with no arms or legs compete! And Martin Brundle will compete in the LMP3 support race! Its utterly stupid!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom