Vettel vs Kvyat

Soldato
Does anyone else think 'that' crash was caused by Kimi for coming back on track too slowly and rather recklessly? I mean in the pits that would have been an unsafe release the way he came back on. I though Kvyat handled the situation with Seb very well.
Andi.

Soldato
Does anyone else think 'that' crash was caused by Kimi for coming back on track too slowly and rather recklessly? I mean in the pits that would have been an unsafe release the way he came back on. I though Kvyat handled the situation with Seb very well.
Andi.

Non issue in the heat of the moment vettel was complaining but he's since come out and said it was a racing incident which everyone else could see but then we have the benefit of top down views etc (it looked like a squeeze on his on-board video). I don't think anyone was particularly at fault just an unfortunate first corner collision.

Man of Honour
I don't think Kvyat would have been able to hold the place, Vettel would have been on the inside for the follow up and Kvyat had too much speed to maintain his tight line. I think Vettel was right to be aggrieved.

Soldato
I see nothing wrong with the move. Kvyat spotted and went for the massive gap inside Vettel who over reacted. Raikonnen then made matters worse by forcing his way back on track in a pretty unsafe way, causing one of the Saubers to swerve in front of other traffic.

If anything I'd argue that people with Vettel's and Raikonnen's experience should know better.

Soldato
OP
How did we get to a point where someone needs to be blamed for everything that happens?

Ferrari management have a habit of being nasty to employees so they seem to want to protect their backsides. There is also a background of penalty points in F1 so drivers again tend to protect themselves. Sadly its no longer a gentleman's game this F1.
Andi.

Associate
Kvyat causes the incident, just another stupid overtake on an opening lap.

It's fine to go for the gap, but they have to leave other cars room, in this case there was nowhere else for Vettel to go other than into another car, it was either going to be Kimi or Kvyat.

It's the opening lap, experienced on not when the cars are bunched up they should be trying to avoid these.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I see nothing wrong with the move. Kvyat spotted and went for the massive gap inside Vettel who over reacted. Raikonnen then made matters worse by forcing his way back on track in a pretty unsafe way, causing one of the Saubers to swerve in front of other traffic.

If anything I'd argue that people with Vettel's and Raikonnen's experience should know better.

Yes, I'm getting pretty angry with experienced drivers who manage to assume another car won't be on the inside or outside, especially in the first corner.

Massa, Kimi, they seem to regularly get into crap that is entirely their own doing and never learn from it. Kimi swiping bottas in Mexico, Massa cutting in on Magnussen then flipping himself over, Kimi this weekend, they all made stupid assumptions about where other cars where and drove as if they could pick and chose their favourite line as no other cars would stop it.

Kvyat was going wide, there is a good set of images of Kvyat's position around the corner, he swung out wide as natural but at his widest there was well more than one cars width on the outside.

There is no law that Kvyat has to hug the inside and not push Vettel wider, Vettel would have gone wider anyway. In general I would say for most corners the guy on the inside will swing out wide, that is how physics work, you go outside to apex to outside. Diving up the inside as long as you aren't out of control and cause direct contact(Bottas in Bahrain) is fine. Before the contact Kvyat was in control, not locked up and alongside Vettel and they could both have gone wider (as Kvyat did) and gone through the corner fine.

You know a car will drift outside so it's relatively safe to go up the inside in that situation but when you know cars inside you will drift outside, turning into those cars is nuts but that is precisely what Kimi did.

Kimi screwed up, got aggressive on how he thought he'd go after Vettel and assumed no one was on his inside.

The outside is the danger area, inside less so, Kvyat was utterly fine.. had he arrived out of control that is an entirely different matter but he didn't.

The default into the first corner should be assume there are other cars competing and be more sensible in your positioning, Kimi's actions presumed a car wasn't inside vettel and his actions caused multiple collisions for which I think he should have been penalised. Ruined Hamilton's race yet still beat him thanks to the damage caused to Hamilton's car.

Associate
Were we watching the same incident?

Where was Vettel supposed to go? there was no gap to avoid contact.

It's the responsibly of the overtaking car to ensure there is a gap, it's not complicated.

If there was a wall or grass there instead of Kimi would he have been penalized? I think so.

Transmission breaker
Don

It's the responsibly of the overtaking car to ensure there is a gap, it's not complicated.

If there was a wall or grass there instead of Kimi would he have been penalized? I think so.

haha, vettel got spooked after leaving the door open, and jerked left when he got suprised.
No one's fault but his own!

Associate

except Kvyat was undertaking him was ahead at the apex and didn't change his line once, unlike Kimi who over cooked it and didn't look when rejoining the track where Vettel was sitting. Ferrari **** up on both parts but it's just a racing incident nothing more and the redbull won it. And if he didn't go for the gap which was massive what's he doing racing in F1?

Soldato
It was a move that was risky and there was space, but at some point that space was going to disappear. It certainly wasn't deserving of a penalty, but I can see where Vettel's comments were coming from at the time (as well as trying to save face with Arrivabene and possibly the stewards), though it sounds like he's largely retracted them after seeing the replays.

I'm a little surprised that it wasn't investigated after the race, just to get each driver's perspective, but then I suppose we had all that washing of dirty laundry in public anyway! We should have it more often! I guess it will be discussed in the drivers briefing in Russia.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Most of the field managed to get round three abreast so dunno what Vettels problem was, apart from stupidly hitting his team mate and looking a fool.

Soldato
Surely if it's anyone's fault (which it isn't) it's Kimi's?

Locked his brakes then wandered towards the middle of the track while recovering to where Vettel was - Kvyat was actually miles away. Watching purely his car he doesn't really do anything wrong, a bit hot into the corner maybe judging by the closing speed on ROS and RIC, but nothing outlandish.

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom..._Onboard_with_Kvyat_and_Vettel_at_Turn_1.html

Transmission breaker
Don
Watch the on board with vettel, he applies left lock when he notices kvyat sneaking into the HUGE gap he left. At that point he should have seen his team mate coming back into his line (badly) and got out of the throttle.

Back
Top Bottom