• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7-5960X or i7-6900k ?

Associate
Yeah lol. The J stepping chip seems very new so it also pretty rare and not all J chips seem to hit the speed you've got. People shouldn't expect too much from the X5960 as the vast majority aren't great for overclocking.

Its not actually new. It has been there since the 12nd week of 2015 iirc. The chance of you getting a J batch brand new from OCUK is actually much bigger than an L batch. I had been binning 8 pieces from Costa Rica, Malay L and Malay J, 6 of them passed 1hr asus real bench stress test at 4.5Ghz with less than 1.3v. The Costa Rica batch was manufactured in 2014 didn't make to 4.5ghz

Soldato
Sort of off topic, but as its descended into talk about voltages and what not anyways, what sort of cache voltage are people using. I think I was pumping too much voltage through it few months back without realizing, chip has not been that happy since.

Soldato
The later 5960x's are exceptional overclockers. Mine's a 2016 week 4 J batch and does 4.5GHz 24/7 at 1.20v and runs DDR4-3200 14-14-13-30 solid with very little VCSSA voltage.

It'll do 4.7GHz stable with 1.37v but things start getting toasty then.

Its not actually new. It has been there since the 12nd week of 2015 iirc. The chance of you getting a J batch brand new from OCUK is actually much bigger than an L batch. I had been binning 8 pieces from Costa Rica, Malay L and Malay J, 6 of them passed 1hr asus real bench stress test at 4.5Ghz with less than 1.3v. The Costa Rica batch was manufactured in 2014 didn't make to 4.5ghz

My 'L' batch 5960X has been running at this since I got it 24/7.

She's an awesome chip.

;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom