• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Haswell to Skylake, would it be silly?

Soldato
Just ordered a shiny new Asus ROG Swift PG279Q and a GTX 1070 to replace a 1080p monitor and GTX 970. This got me thinking about a new Skylake Motherboard, i7 and DDR4 to replace my Haswell Z97 Motherboad, 4790K and DDR3.

Would this be complete madness or a sound investment as I won't upgrading again for a couple of years?

Soldato
OP
Thought as much, got that itch for shiny!!!

Out of interest in FPS what do you think the difference would be between the two on something like Doom?

Soldato
Overclock your i7 4790k to 4.8 and get some ddr3 2400 cl10 ram won't be any faster or slower than the best Skylake though ;)

Soldato
I'd keep the haswell i7, I'm starting to noticed bottlenecking slightly with my ivy i5 but that is only in BF 1 beta and GTA V, haven't played Witcher 3 yet but I reckon I'll see some there too. If you can get that i7 to 4.5ghz you'd be laughing.

Associate
Completely mad, especially at this point in time.

If you're going to do this, wait a couple of months for Z270 and Kaby Lake CPUs. Z270 brings Xpoint memory support, and also supports Coffee Lake and Cannon Lake CPUs, with Coffee Lake meant to have been confirmed to be 6-core.

It would be very silly to go for Z170 and Skylake at this point.

Associate
yea totally worth it and while your at it ill give you £30 for you're 4790k as im doing you a favour...

no seriously stick with the 4790k for a while going to skylake from your current setup would be madness I don't think you would see any gains from it.

Soldato
Thought as much, got that itch for shiny!!!

Out of interest in FPS what do you think the difference would be between the two on something like Doom?

Doom is a terrible choice. For me;

980gtx and a AMD 8320 @ 3440x1440 - 60fps (near enough Ultra settings)

1080gtx and a 6700 @ 3440x1440 - 60fps (same settings as above)

Something like AC: Unity or Witcher 3, I only saw the difference thanks to my GPU. CPU too but not as big as you'd think.

So no, it's silly upgrading a perfectly fine CPU but I understand the need for 'shiny.

Soldato
Completely mad, especially at this point in time.

If you're going to do this, wait a couple of months for Z270 and Kaby Lake CPUs. Z270 brings Xpoint memory support, and also supports Coffee Lake and Cannon Lake CPUs, with Coffee Lake meant to have been confirmed to be 6-core.

It would be very silly to go for Z170 and Skylake at this point.

Xpoint memory support is hardly a good incentive to upgrade when it's not even going to be as fast as regular RAM is it?

Associate
Xpoint memory support is hardly a good incentive to upgrade when it's not even going to be as fast as regular RAM is it?

Yeah looks like the first generation won't be, but seems quite likely to happen over a couple of generations of it (maybe by 2020?).

Although I don't know if it would be backwards compatible as it gets faster and more refined. So for now it would be wise to just view it as extremely fast SSDs.

It's still sensible to wait for Z270 for Coffee Lake and Cannon Lake support though. 6-core upgrade path, whereas Z170 is definitely stuck on 4.

Back
Top Bottom