Small nick in o-ring...

Soldato
Is this a problem? Very small. Will it leak? It's just a small nick on the surface, not easy to photograph.

image.jpg

FYI, this is on EK HDC 16mm fitting, so PETG will be going in to this.

Last edited:
Associate
Difficult to say for sure. It depends how tightly the tube compresses against the o-ring once it's inserted. I would always err on the side of caution and get a replacement o-ring since they're cheap, as it's not worth risking a leak whether it occurs in the near or long term.

Associate
Thanks. What is the o-ring I need? I can't seem to find on OCUK site. Do they have them?

That may be an issue, I'm not sure what size they are exactly (although the outer diameter of the tubing is 16mm, so it can't be far off that). If they're too difficult to find, you might want to bite the bullet and RMA the entire fitting and get a replacement.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I could swap it for the outer o-ring that's inside the screw fixing (they are the same size)... not sure if that's such a good idea though. Just a pain to wait for new one... I'm ready to go otherwise.

Caporegime
Difficult to say for sure. It depends how tightly the tube compresses against the o-ring once it's inserted. I would always err on the side of caution and get a replacement o-ring since they're cheap, as it's not worth risking a leak whether it occurs in the near or long term.

Never ever skimp. You are talking about 1000s of pounds of hardware for the sake of a 10p o ring and the time waiting to get one.

Not worth it IMO.

Soldato
OP
If its just the G1/4 end, I have a bag of Bitspower O rings, not sure if its allowed but would be no hassle to throw one in the mail.

That would be excellent of you, I'm sure it is allowed. Happy to pay you for the stamp. Are they the same though? Are they universal? I had an o-ring that came with my res/pump which is the same diameter but it's about twice the thickness.

Associate
Ahh, I'm not sure, actually looking at the picture is it the sealing ring, inside the fitting or the screw end ?, I guess the internal one, so I wouldn't know if it would work, but as others said, I would probably just change it, I think it was Greebo's thread above I was just reading and his lovely pool of red coolant under the PC after 2 weeks, better safe than sorry.

Soldato
OP
Ahh, I'm not sure, actually looking at the picture is it the sealing ring, inside the fitting or the screw end ?, I guess the internal one, so I wouldn't know if it would work, but as others said, I would probably just change it, I think it was Greebo's thread above I was just reading and his lovely pool of red coolant under the PC after 2 weeks, better safe than sorry.

I've taken it out and it's the same as the one that's inside the HDC fitting screw cap... basically the one you put over the tube, so it's a 16mm one. I don't know if that means they are the same as the Bitspower ones though. You said 1/4, which if that's the size then it's too small, as that's only just over 6mm.

Yeah, I was just reading that... scary, and definitely not something I'd want to risk! :eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom