The Hum...

Associate
As some of you know I recently completed my first water cooled custom loop.

It's perfect except for the noise which has me completely stumped. It's not the pump (at least not directly), which seems quiet when I put my ear to it. Instead the noise aka 'the hum' seems to be coming from everywhere.

I assume that the pump is creating a vibration that's going through the case and creating a steady noise which is why I cant locate a source. However the pump/reservoir is mounted with foam padding (that it came with).

The noise is still present with all fans off so it's definitely a pump thing.

Is the default foam padding that ships with the D5 Photon not enough?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xspc-d5-photon-170-reservoir-pump-combo-wc-272-xs.html

Am I missing something obvious?

Soldato
Can you unbolt the pump from the case? I'm thinking you should make sure it's the pump first of all, before trying to think of how to fix. I have a D5 pump and even at full speed it isn't too bad. At PWM speed, it's absolutlely silent.

Associate
OP
I'll pop up a video later. It's not specifically from anywhere. I've literally gone around the case measuring noise levels and it comes back roughly the same from everywhere (around 73 decibels).

It goes up very slightly above the pump/res and below the power supply to around 78 decibels but the change in noise is barely audible.

Associate
I'll pop up a video later. It's not specifically from anywhere. I've literally gone around the case measuring noise levels and it comes back roughly the same from everywhere (around 73 decibels).

It goes up very slightly above the pump/res and below the power supply to around 78 decibels but the change in noise is barely audible.

can you disconnect everyting and jump start your PSU so it just powers the pump and to see if you get the same noise? then you konw for sure its the pump (or PSU).

Associate
Altering the speed of the pump should change the frequency of the humming noise. Try setting it to a speed where it's less audible. Otherwise you will need a way to further dampen the sound.

Associate
OP
Ladies and gentlemen, 'The Hum': https://youtu.be/EqFsIUWNuDk

Please don't judge me on the kink in the pipe, it will be re-bent when I have more time...

I moved the camera around to try and show the noise level next to the pump. It's not a mechanical drive as I don't have any and it's not the fans as I set them all to off for a few seconds and the noise persisted. The PSU has an eco function to switch off the fan eliminating this possibility also. It's definitely the pump making the case vibrate.

I'm going to try and alter the pumps speed per undesirables suggestion and see if it makes any difference. In theory it should...

Associate

Please don't judge me on the kink in the pipe, it will be re-bent when I have more time...

I moved the camera around to try and show the noise level next to the pump. It's not a mechanical drive as I don't have any and it's not the fans as I set them all to off for a few seconds and the noise persisted. The PSU has an eco function to switch off the fan eliminating this possibility also. It's definitely the pump making the case vibrate.

I'm going to try and alter the pumps speed per undesirables suggestion and see if it makes any difference. In theory it should...

Yeah that is quite a Hum u got there would annoy the hell out of me.

My new system had a similar issue but not quite as bad, turned out it was only when the pump reached a certain speed as it was PWM (EK Predator) I altered the PWM curve and it's gone.

Pug vs BB8 = Pug will win eventually :D

Associate
OP
Yeah that is quite a Hum u got there would annoy the hell out of me.

My new system had a similar issue but not quite as bad, turned out it was only when the pump reached a certain speed as it was PWM (EK Predator) I altered the PWM curve and it's gone.

Yup, that's my next port of call. Fingers crossed.

Pug vs BB8 = Pug will win eventually :D
Yeah, he sort of did. BB8's antenna has almost come off. We don't play that game anymore.

Associate
OP
That sounds like the pump is running full pelt. That isn't a pwm pump is it? It's controlled by a speed selector, right?

Please tell me it's not set to 5! If it is, then set it to 1 or 2.

Yes it is a pwm pump. Tried altering the speed via software but it doesn't sound to be having any effect. I'll try manually adjusting it next.

I assume its set to 2 but it could also be 5... Not sure. Hard to reach with a screwdriver in its current position.

http://imgur.com/a/6idkO

Caporegime

Whats most disturbing about that video is that I cant see your fluid moving at all!!!!!!!

Not even any turbulence in your reservoir.

You sure your pump is working and doesnt have an airlock?

Back
Top Bottom