Whats up with UK pricing?

Associate
Not a stab at OcUK by any means, just the UK pricing structure.

I mean if we look at an Radeon RX 480 8GB, they retail in the US for about $230-$250, here in the UK they retail for .....you guessed it... £230-£250.

Since when is there a 1:1 ratio for US to UK prices for identical products? I also found a GTX 1070 for $379, whereas again, you'll struggle to get one of these for under £400! It's ridiculous IMO and vendors aren't doing enough.

What is this attributed to? Shipping costs? Oversees/import taxes? Brexit?? (altho was like this before Brexit IIRC)

Soldato
Its the UK economy.

The Dollar to Pound is 1.21. We have VAT at 20%..Import Costs... and then the retailers Margin

So 250USD = 206.61 + 20% = £247.93

This^^

We have a little something called tax which is quite aggressive in the UK... US pricing you also pay sales tax on but it varies by state but a much lower 3-6%. But pretty much the tanking dollar and euro eroding any hope of a deal.

Associate
OP
Its the UK economy.

The Dollar to Pound is 1.21. We have VAT at 20%..Import Costs... and then the retailers Margin

So 250USD = 206.61 + 20% = £247.93

Makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

Still annoying though! Then again Australia are far worse so shouldn't complain too much.

Associate
if you have friends/family in the states. Paypal the money to them and then get them to post it and mark it as a gift to avoid import tax :) but shipping of a single item can sell be expensive so the little saving ud make isnt always worth the hassle

Man of Honour
if you have friends/family in the states. Paypal the money to them and then get them to post it and mark it as a gift to avoid import tax :) but shipping of a single item can sell be expensive so the little saving ud make isnt always worth the hassle

Unless they also massively under declare its value which is an offence then marking it as a gift will make no difference.

Associate
its poo the pricing im in need of a new pc its crazy how the i5 is like £100 more than what i paid for my i5 when I got mine ive then got to upgrade to ddr4 to spend more on that then find a motherboard thats good since the new ones are expensive I dont want to cheap out and then be stuck on the same boat as I am now with my usbs dying

Associate
Haven't we paid 1:1 for tech for ages? Or at least close to. I think the last time it was worth loading up suitcases in the US was pre 08'.

If anything it's retailers taking the hit right now with less profit. Without groundbreaking gains these days, it seems to only be worth nabbing boxing/Black Friday stock clearance deals.

Associate
Haven't we paid 1:1 for tech for ages? Or at least close to. I think the last time it was worth loading up suitcases in the US was pre 08'.

If anything it's retailers taking the hit right now with less profit. Without groundbreaking gains these days, it seems to only be worth nabbing boxing/Black Friday stock clearance deals.

I just found out my usb 2.0 header is dead on my pc just bought a kraken x52 and hue+ too so pee'd off right now because ive just missed the sales. i really dont want to pay intel these stupid silly prices for components that are just a tiny bump from skylake

Soldato
Not a stab at OcUK by any means, just the UK pricing structure.

I mean if we look at an Radeon RX 480 8GB, they retail in the US for about $230-$250, here in the UK they retail for .....you guessed it... £230-£250.

Since when is there a 1:1 ratio for US to UK prices for identical products? I also found a GTX 1070 for $379, whereas again, you'll struggle to get one of these for under £400! It's ridiculous IMO and vendors aren't doing enough.

Been like it for years where have you been hiding ?

Soldato
The pound has shrunk against USD, vat is high, plus import duty and handling charges..

But according to our esteemed PM, we're doing great.

I imported some Carbon bike wheels direct from the Chinese manufacturers about 18 months ago, fully built with fancy pants hubs, inc all charges for £600. if I was to do that today, I'd be looking at about a grand.

Most international trade is done in USD.

Soldato
You can't have high taxes, high wages, a weak currency, and low retail prices. The UK retail sector is already hugely competitive, with most sectors relying on volume for profit. Margins are regularly considerably tighter over here than on the continent. It's basically a bet on rampant consumerism and cheap credit, hence why retailers are one of the first to go bust the moment sales slow down.

The US is similar, only with lower taxes, lower wages, and a stronger currency. That's why US pricing is generally better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom