PC Gaming Hardware Arguments!?

OcUK Staff
Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask you guys what the common arguments are in this PC gaming world? For example, it is known for AMD and Intel to fight against one another, you have Radeon and NVIDIA, people argue over FPS and how the human eye can only see 30fps...

Tell me common arguments that tend to happen in our community! :)

Associate
I've certainly seen people arguing about what constitutes a "real" game in other places. Usually people dismissing casual games or walking simulators or indy games in favour of shooters. Though I think for the most part people here are a little more grown up and accepting of what people enjoy playing.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm in the constant AMD vs Intel battle with my 4 friends. All recently bought fx 83xx series and they are adamant that their cpus beat my 6600K. Another i get is Stock Vs OC yet again im the only one who does OC

Soldato
Why people pay a premium for Intel K chips then don't overclock them. I've seen that argued over countless times.

I suppose there is some logic there, the k's have higher stock clocks than the next model down, and sometimes not that much more money, but the logic kinda falls down when you then factor in the cost of a decent heat sink, say an extra £25-30.

Edit, and if they already have a compatible cooler, and presumably k's are easier to sell when upgrading.

Last edited:
Associate
Why people pay a premium for Intel K chips then don't overclock them. I've seen that argued over countless times.

My k chip was less expensive than the regular processor at the time when i bought it. So, you know, there's that. I've had it since 2012 and had an AIO watercooler since 2015, yet i only bothered to OC it a few weeks back when i got a new gpu.

Also, arguments: "Razer make good quality peripherals", "(insert personal opinion) are the best company, (any other company)'s products are all ****!!!!111!"

Soldato
Myth: If you put aluminium in your water cooling loop it will instantly corrode, detonate and kill you and everyone you love.

Reality: It's not an issue with proper coolant and never has been, for example an aluminium rad is not more likely to cause issues with a copper block than a brass rad is with a nickel block. The horror stories mostly came from people running just water/biocide.

Soldato
  • AMD vs Nvidia
  • VRAM amounts (how much is needed, along shouts of "future-proofing" and "only impressing idiots who see the GB numbers")
  • Whether a particular benchmark should be used because it's biased towards a particular brand of GPU/CPU
  • Whether a benchmark result matters at all as "it's not a game"
  • Whether a game benchmark matters as "it's just one game"
  • Whether multiple game benchmarks should be disregarded as "they're all the same engine"
  • Whether power consumption is relevant to purchasing decisions
  • Watercooling vs aircooling
  • 4K vs 1440p
  • 4K vs Ultrawide
  • Ultrawide vs Eyefinity/Surround
  • SLI/Crossfire vs single GPU

Man of Honour
PC Gaming Hardware Arguments

This is a strange subject where facts and reality don't count, the only thing that does count is winning the argument for your side by fair means or foul.:eek:

Soldato
I think this is an apt place for this, so I'm going to use it...

Kaap has brought it up recently with there being a lack of 'owners/information' threads
Here it goes;

There is very little technical discussion on this forum, and a lot of passionate people. That in itself is a toxic mix.
That is why all we have is (besides Kaap’s much appreciated efforts to keep things relevant) is mostly rumour threads and people squabbling over speculation. At the deeper level, you’ve got people disagreeing with speculation (mind blown). I honestly think this boils down to people having their own agenda, and not worrying if they even have the nous to back up what they’re arguing about (or disagreeing with)…

Here’s what I think personally; From spending time with other communities, albeit with a much larger user base, OCUK are by far the most cynical. That’s not a reflection on OCUK as a company, what they do for the industry is great. However, when it comes to the forum side – the cynicism is overwhelming, normally with a presence of nail puffing authority on the subject at hand. That last bit, is where the problems start. If users don’t think they’ve got anything to learn, they can’t be told anything.

Maybe the fact this medium is built on a retail outlet is where the main issue is when it comes to hardware discussion. It seems to be that users aren’t interested in learning anything new, and more what can be had for the least amount of money.

That’s just my 2p on the matter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom