UK Holiday Ideas?

Soldato
Travel to/from airports, check ins, getting absolutely nothing out of my currency, language etc. Just can't be bothered with the hassle of it all.
Honestly, we were in exactly the same mindset as you when we attempted our staycation in Dorset. It soon falls apart.

Firstly realised you can't go anywhere "nice" in the UK without a car. So we had to hire a car. Which cost a fortune. If you don't you'll be a stupidly expensive train (especially going southwest). Then, in the UK any hotels and B&B seem to run some sort of mafia-esque racket where it's impossible to find something decent for less than £75/night. What a joke.

Seriously, just go abroad.

Caporegime
I thought the general definition of a staycation was that you didn't actually go anywhere?

I understood it to mean holidaying in your own country and not going abroad, just what the OP is doing.

Travel to/from airports, check ins, getting absolutely nothing out of my currency, language etc. Just can't be bothered with the hassle of it all.

Just of the opinion staying in the UK for once might not be a bad idea as there's still some beautiful parts of the country worth seeing. Besides I've been to Luxembourg, am I not cultured enough as far as Europe goes? Hah.

I totally get that. Thinking of doing the same thing, Wales or Northumberland for me but I'd probably be driving.

Soldato

Just of the opinion staying in the UK for once might not be a bad idea as there's still some beautiful parts of the country worth seeing. Besides I've been to Luxembourg, am I not cultured enough as far as Europe goes? Hah.

TBH at first glance you seem to be speaking sense but on closer examination:

If you live in London but are thinking Cornwall or for a holiday, your looking at the same travel time including check in times, maybe even more than going to somewhere in mainland Europe. Also with everything done in advance electronically, there really is no bother. Train prices are eye-watering here and will cost more than plane flights depending on where you go.

As for getting the most out of your currency, unless you got o a pricey country you should end up getting more for your quid even with exchange rates fighting you.

There are plenty of places to see here locally, i regularly go down to Cornwall and really enjoy it but dont fool yourself into thinking it is cheap. Also without a car, you will spend an incredible amount of time on just faffing around with getting from A to B.

If you want something scenic and not too far, Cotswold has some beautiful areas.

Soldato
Going abroad is much cheaper in the long run (compare flight prices to train prices and you'll see for yourself)

And airports are so easy these days and you get to visit other places on the planet instead of staying on our little Island (nothing wrong with it but there is a world out there!)

Caporegime
this, get on skyscanner and pick up a super cheap flight anywhere, can be as low as £15 return, go explorer a new random city and generally use airbnb, it's cheaper than hotels.

AirBNB is normally better too, more space, utilities etc.

I always AirBNB when we can. Last time was in S.Korea. 2 bed apartment, kitchen, washing machine etc. Cost us a 1/3 compared to a hotel. It was awesome too, right where we wanted it, nicely decorated and immaculate.

Man of Honour
As you've all mentioned how cheap going abroad is I welcome your suggestions

anywhere will keep you entertained for a while, but whats your interests, what you want to do, scenery, beach, snorkelling, Museums etc. `Or something specific your interested in touring like Chernobyl, Large Hadron Collider, Gate to hell, Champagne region of France or any number of other things.

have a look at skyscanner some incredibly cheap flights (make sure you go through to booking to double check price its only like 80% accurate)
https://www.skyscanner.net/transpor...daltsenabled=false&oym=1706&iym=1707&ref=home

then use www.wikitravel.org to get an idea of the palce and some idea of whats around and prie ideas. If it interests you, you can then check the place out on liek trip advisor and lonelyplanet etc.

Or as you are on your own and if you have a bigger budget, do a tour holliday they are great, motorbiking across Vietnam is on my bucket list, or pretty much anything from companies like this http://www.lupinetravel.co.uk/

Last edited:
Caporegime
Has anyone mentioned travelzoo yet?

Worth looking at, especially if you just want to veg. There are always extremely cheap all inclusive/hotel and flights if that's your thing.

Man of Honour
You can get a ticket to somewhere like, say, Rome for peanuts and there will be oodles to see there. Worth expanding your horizons slightly OP!

Man of Honour
So many people of the opinion that what they would do is what the OP should want to do...

My advice is consider Devon, check out English Country Cottages as an option. FAR better value to a good hotel with the flexibility of having your own place. I spend far too much time in hotels, good ones too, to want to search one out when I go on holiday and if I do it is MILES from a business hotel.

Dartmouth is a good base, but also the most experience place in Devon to stay typically. You will need a car but there are plenty of things to go see and do, places to walk around and historical sites. If you want dining there are some epic places to eat too.

Lake district is also lovely, plenty of places to walk if that's your thing and scenery that will take your breath away. Again I would suggest English Country cottages for a location unless you want hotels, which the Lakes has to a high standard. Also West Cost of Scotland is a great place to go drive.

It depends what you want. If your idea of a holiday is sun, sand sea then fine, get on a plane but if like me it's about location, quietness when I want it, quality, walking, touring and fine dining then the UK is superb for it.

Back
Top Bottom