Restricting internet access over a metererd connection.

Soldato
I am sure I asked something about this before but cannot remember when or what the answers were.

I have a PC in a Van and wish to use a wireless dongle to connect to the internet when I am out and about.

Naturally this is relatively expensive and I do not want to buy any more bandwidth than I need.

While I am out, there is only one website I will want to connect too. (+ rare e-mail usage)

Is there a way of preventing the browser/PC from making any other connections on its own initiative or running unnecessary stuff in the back ground while I am using it?

Soldato
In Windows 10 if you navigate to the known wireless networks within settings there's a toggle to classify that connection as metered. This will stop it downloading large updates in the background and some applications take this into consideration but it won't stop everything.

Associate
Remove the DNS servers from the network interface settings and manually add in your favourite website to the local hosts file.

Permabanned
Install glasswire and monitor if anything else starts chewing up bandwidth

https://www.glasswire.com/

Then you can use this to block it in windows firewall I believe.

I tried ages ago to only allow one app access to the internet, but there are a few windows processes that have to have access for anything to work. Was a total ball ache in the end, so I just resorted to blocking stuff that used a fair amount. I had loads of stuff installed on the machine though, if you don't have much installed then it will be easier.

Back
Top Bottom